Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 08:55 AM

1,051 posts, read 573,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I think you have more opportunities to live a healthy and active lifestyle in Florida than most states in the cold. However, laziness is widespread in people, so just because you have the opportunity, doesn't mean most people will take advantage of that. People who live in urban environments tend to have a healthier lifestyle, so people who live in NYC will have a healthier lifestyle than people who live in Tampa (generally speaking) and the simple reason for this is most people can't afford to own a car and drive everywhere in NYC... so they are forced to walk. When I'm visiting Tokyo, I average almost 10 miles a day of walking. It's easy to walk around. Interesting to walk around. When I'm visiting Los Angeles, I probably average 2 miles a day because I'm driving place to place and only walk at my destination such as a mall or a popular street, etc.
Urban lifestyle does provide and motivate you to be more physically active, regardless the climate.

For example I just spent the last 3 months in both Paris and London. The weather in both cities at the time were horrible: raining, gloomy, cold (especially London) and unpredictable. The restaurants in Europe are often very small, there’s practically no space between you and your fellow patrons, you often have to go down to the basement or through a long winding corridor to get to the restrooms, and your next grocery stores could be blocks, blocks away. Never mind the wealth, this lifestyle applies to the so-called rich people too (because even in the “fine dining” high end restaurants in Europe one must get accustomed to the smaller space, narrower hallway and generally more quiet/polite environment.)

We had so much fun walking, regardless the bad weather. (So you see, weather isn’t the sole factor to determine if a city is livable or desirable.)

In urban setting you’re forced to walk and be physically adaptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 02:06 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
No. Not from my observation.

A lot of people just sit in their lanai drinking and eating. Or go to any restaurant with the tiki bar drinking and eating. There were a lot of baggy tops and shorts, a lot of unfit people. Even on the beach so many people just sit there.
I agree. FL has thr fattest people of all ages I've ever seen. Up in St. Louis they're not nearly as fat especially the young people.

Old 06-05-2023, 02:56 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
Florida has the 6th lowest obesity rate in the entire country.....at 28%....that's still over 1/4th of the population though

....the highest states are around 40%

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...t-obese-states

Old 06-05-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Florida has the 6th lowest obesity rate in the entire country.....at 28%....that's still over 1/4th of the population though

....the highest states are around 40%

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...t-obese-states
Then I've seen other rankings showing Florida with most of the other southern states with a lot of obese people.

All I know from the Tampa area on south the people of all ages are pretty fat. I'm 39 and many my age are fat.

Down here in FL it seems a lot of tourist trap food. I mean friend pub and bar foods as I call it that you eat while on vacation.

Old 06-05-2023, 04:03 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
you might be seeing tourists and snowbirds.... ...from those states with higher ratings

Old 06-05-2023, 07:23 PM

18,124 posts, read 11,758,079 times
We all perceive the variest of checkboxes on geography, bone sizes, and age groups!

As a former New Yorker currently living in the third transition in Florida state, I believe that New Yorkers are most healthy and youthful looking. The postcard picticesque comment of "snow covered ground in Central Park" description took me right home.

The reasons are simple: NYer's work in fast pace enviroment. We pound the pavement, run up and down the subway steps, we eat lunch on the go, we do not stop moving until we get home, shower, eat dinner and then finally can relax with a book or movie.

N.Y. vs. FL. : the morning icy water temperature splash - the NYer's have less wrinkles. We are too busy working - (we earn more satisfactory wages) or we are constantly moving from one place to another our bodies do not gather the calories long enough to turn fatty

I do agree with the person mentioning the panhandle areas of FL. the driving distance to outings is longer YES! Therefore people stay home more, cook more at home, watch more DVD movies at home ... the list is endless.

Old 06-05-2023, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
We all perceive the variest of checkboxes on geography, bone sizes, and age groups!

As a former New Yorker currently living in the third transition in Florida state, I believe that New Yorkers are most healthy and youthful looking. The postcard picticesque comment of "snow covered ground in Central Park" description took me right home.

The reasons are simple: NYer's work in fast pace enviroment. We pound the pavement, run up and down the subway steps, we eat lunch on the go, we do not stop moving until we get home, shower, eat dinner and then finally can relax with a book or movie.

N.Y. vs. FL. : the morning icy water temperature splash - the NYer's have less wrinkles. We are too busy working - (we earn more satisfactory wages) or we are constantly moving from one place to another our bodies do not gather the calories long enough to turn fatty

I do agree with the person mentioning the panhandle areas of FL. the driving distance to outings is longer YES! Therefore people stay home more, cook more at home, watch more DVD movies at home ... the list is endless.
Places like NYC, Boston, LA, CT, RI seem to have the hottest looking women too.

Old 06-06-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Places like NYC, Boston, LA, CT, RI seem to have the hottest looking women too.

Yes. MO, I agree. The major cities have really good-looking established population walking around - for sure! I always thought I fit right into this criterion like a puzzle.

On a serious note, people of all age groups, if they have grown up in the same house/neighborhood will share the same activities with their (next Gen.) children for example sledding on the Southern State Pkwy.

Old 06-06-2023, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post

Yes. MO, I agree. The major cities have really good-looking established population walking around - for sure! I always thought I fit right into this criterion like a puzzle.

On a serious note, people of all age groups, if they have grown up in the same house/neighborhood will share the same activities with their (next Gen.) children for example sledding on the Southern State Pkwy.
Los Angeles doesn't, St. Louis metro area doesn't, and Dallas doesn't as well. Gotta drive to most places, yet the people, especially the younger one's are not as heavy. Could also be because these major cities have a younger population hence less obese.

Also less tatted women in these big cities. Could be because more educated and want to look more proper working white collar jobs.

Old 07-08-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Los Angeles doesn't, St. Louis metro area doesn't, and Dallas doesn't as well. Gotta drive to most places, yet the people, especially the younger one's are not as heavy. Could also be because these major cities have a younger population hence less obese.

Also less tatted women in these big cities. Could be because more educated and want to look more proper working white collar jobs.

Tattoos ... Tell me your thoughts on this; tattoos' ... major cities by the beaches have more tattooed bodies than inner cities - NYC. This would be saying - the geographical dress codes - the beach towns have exposing bodies have an abundance of perfect figures, more tattoos, and the best-looking hot shorter shorts regardless of education or job morals? Is this right? The geographic location plays a major part too.

This is why the population/the working class in NYC are naturally physically fit - running up and down the subway steps, running after the public buses, or walking the city streets. I'm thinking the NYC people are less tattooed having only one sleeve-less summer season, and three seasons of long sleeves.

I'm thinking about the origin of fried chicken - their figures are totally shaped differently from the beach cites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida