Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,550 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with Stetson University and/or DeLand? Any general opinions of the school and surrounding area would be very helpful. I find it difficult to locate a lot of new reviews about either one.

I visited Stetson twice and really like it. They are offering me a pretty fantastic financial aid package, and I'm strongly considering enrolling. I'm looking for a tight-knit vibe and I know Stetson has that. The student atmosphere seems positive, but I guess I won't really know until I actually spend real time there. What about life after Stetson? Would I be stuck in-state? I know the school is probably relatively unknown outside of the Southeast (or maybe even outside of Florida?).

I also like DeLand from the little that I've experienced it. I love small towns. DeLand seems better than where I currently reside. Bigger cities are easier to access from DeLand. That makes me think there would be a lot more opportunities there for me. (I live in a barren Midwestern wasteland, isolated from civilization. I'm only slightly exaggerating.) However, is there a lot of crime in the area? Would it be easy/safe to ride a bike around town and have access to supermarkets and such?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 08:25 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
I considered Stetson for my undergrad as well, but ultimately decided elsewhere..

Stetson is a good school, no doubt, however like you said it's not as well known outside of FL as one might hope. For example, Rollins College is more well-known and has a bit of a better reputation. Stetson is basically for Rollins rejects ... lol jk. Honestly tho...at least for me I didn't like the small town of DeLand...too many old people and early birs specials everywhere. There's nothing wrong with that, but I wanted a little more action...

However, if you've visited twice and truly feel as if it's a good fir for YOU, then go for it. They've got excelllent programs and as long as u dont come out with a ton of debt, it would be worth it. I recommend u bring a car tho. trust and believe me on that.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:31 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
In this day and age of massive student loan debt I would grab the best financial aid package from any reputable school and run with it. Stetson is fairly well-known as a feeder liberal arts school for varying Law schools so it's not like you're going to No-Name U. I can't speak to DeLand's neighborhoods but it does have a nice downtown area. From what I have seen it's not really a place where one can easily navigate to school and the grocery store, etc on a bike as the main commercial district for groceries and big box stores is on the edge of town along US 17-92.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:19 AM

732 posts, read 969,394 times
It all depends on what you want. Stetson is good. I know professors there and am there all the time. It is a good choice, and unlike major universities you will be taught by professors not graduate students in a class of 500 like at big state universities. So basically expect good class size, real professors, and depending on major expect help getting into graduate school if you choose that route. Almost all students live on campus, and some move off campus in last year or something but not all that many. There is crime in all places in the world, I don't know statistics so can't quote but it is a safe town in the 20 years I have been in and around the town. It has nice restaurants and so on. Bikes are not super huge in FL in general say as compared to other places because FL is not that bike and pedestrian of a state. Many students bring a car but since in DeLand it is only a few blocks to anything a bike is fine too. I do see many bikes on campus when I drive through. I like Stetson a great deal and would consider it a good choice.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:47 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Stetson has a beautiful campus (as you know from your visits) in a very nice and older part of DeLand. The school has an excellent reputation within Florida. I'm not sure many folks outside Florida know much about it.

Unless you are rich, or getting an amazing financial aid package, I would recommend going with an in-state public university as the difference in the quality of education will be minimal if at all. If you are tired of your midwestern surroundings, put up with it for a few more years, and look for jobs someplace warm after you graduate. You don't want to graduate with loads of student loan debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida