Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 11:02 PM

185 posts, read 687,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
If you consider Texas, youll have enough money to buy your own condominium or a smaller older house. They come as cheap as $9k for a fixer upper in a questionable neighboorhood. Hundreds of houses for $50k and under in Texas, most are allright if you dont mind them being smallish, around 1000 square feet.
Texas or Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2006, 11:58 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
Of course Texas. Cost of living is very low there, even a poor person can at least afford a condo.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Of course Texas. Cost of living is very low there, even a poor person can at least afford a condo.
My point is Texas is a very large state with a zillion different real estate markets.

I love Austin and might move back, but I don't think I want to live in a mud hut in the middle of the desert.

I don't imagine anyone would be foolish enough to move to texas based on such a generic recommendation, but I just want to warn them just in case.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:18 PM

a condo =! a mud hut! I saw pictures and for $30k you can get a nice 2 bedroom condo. Not in an upscale location/neighboor of course but just fine for a lower income individual. Too bad theres no option like that for low income Florida residents besides a cheap mobile home(still have to pay lot rent!) or splitting the rent with a few other roomates

you have a PM, I want to show you that condos can be had for under $30k in even a metro city like Dallas!

Old 11-12-2006, 05:48 PM

806 posts, read 2,885,005 times
Quote:
I saw pictures and for $30k you can get a nice 2 bedroom condo.
Ah, yes! Are you the same person that saw Elvis last week @ a 7-11?

I saw it on the Internet so it must be true, is a refrain oft heard from the clueless masses nowadays!
I really am interested in seeing these homes.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:22 PM

Seriously N_A_H, you'd have to be brain damaged to believe that you'd find a home anywhere decent for that kind of price! I'll take pictures of those addresses and the surroundings and let you make the decision you will go there in daytime hours, let alone after dark, or God forbid, choose to live there!

Old 11-12-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
Ah, yes! Are you the same person that saw Elvis last week @ a 7-11?

I saw it on the Internet so it must be true, is a refrain oft heard from the clueless masses nowadays!
I really am interested in seeing these homes.
Elvis wouldn't go into the neighborhood of that condo after dark, that's for sure.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
Seriously N_A_H, you'd have to be brain damaged to believe that you'd find a home anywhere decent for that kind of price! I'll take pictures of those addresses and the surroundings and let you make the decision you will go there in daytime hours, let alone after dark, or God forbid, choose to live there!

Well it has to do with location, location, location! Its either in a rural location or in a bad part of the city. In Texas, nice houses in nice locations tend to cost $100k and up from what ive seen. You can get handyman specials for $50k easily, nothing wrong if you have the time and skills to do a lil' fixin'

Condos cost less because you save both on the land and they can cram many units in a small amount of space, saving on building costs because of common walls, ceilings and its all under one roof. $20k can get you about 700 square feet of condo, that is tiny.

Much of OH and WV are rural and the job market is almost nil. The crime is low to none but thats typical for a town of 1000, 2000, 3000. There isnt a whole lot to do unless you commute to a city. The houses can be 100 years old but they are built solid like a rock and many have vintage charm! Its great if you want a quiet laid back place away from the city traffic, pollution and crime.

http://homepics.realtor.com/image1/http/houston/listings/large/045/4583264_0.jpg (broken link)

http://homepics.realtor.com/image1/http/houston/listings/large/011/8418612_0.jpg (broken link)

http://homepics.realtor.com/image1/http/houston/listings/large/043/7226892_0.jpg (broken link)

http://homepics.realtor.com/image1/http/houston/listings/large/092/6955092_0.jpg (broken link)

Four examples of $20k condos(some with 2 bedrooms!) in Houston. I have never been there and dont know the area but I see no problems in the pictures. Might need a bit of TLC, if even that.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:00 PM

I'd have the same reaction to a 30K condo deal in the Dallas areas as someone in South Florida would have to a 100K one, run a mile a minute. Not that it's not possible if the stars are aligned right, maybe a foreclosure or auctioned unit no one knows about, but to think that's the norm? Hey, I have some swampland around Okeechobee for sale too if anyone falls for that one....

N_A_H, I gurantee you those pictures you've posted WILL NOT CORRESPOND TO WHAT YOU THINK YOU'RE GETTING A SWEET DEAL FOR!

I travel around the state extensively and probably know more about the major cities from living there, than anyone other than EMS personnel, RE agents included! Trust me on this one...

RE is relatively cheap in TX compared to FL or CA, but those are deals fraught with hazards that will end up costing more than they're worth.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:04 PM

Ive seen $100k condos in south Florida and they were smaller, older and in worse condition than the $30k condos in the big cities in Texas. I would never pay $100k for a condo like that, but $30k may be worth it. Personally, im probably moving to OH or WV but for someone who doesnt have money or doesnt want to spend alot, those bargin condos fit their bill. They arent luxury nor upscale but some people dont care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida