Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 11,133 times

Advertisements

we are thinking about moving to the tampa area. I know winter are much better than the midwest. how do the summers compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 11:25 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
Hot. Summer in Florida is hot and muggy. Thundershowers every day. Hot. Damned hot and muggy. Summer is from May to November. Hot. Muggy. Hot.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:07 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
I would suggest visiting Florida in August to experience our summer weather that lasts May through November like the other poster already said. There are some people that love heat, humidity and rain for 6+ months. But then there are others that just can stand it. So you really should visit to decide on your own. I happen to be one that can't handle anything above 75+ degrees, so I am looking at leaving Florida because of the weather mostly.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:14 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,964,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj83 View Post
we are thinking about moving to the tampa area. I know winter are much better than the midwest. how do the summers compare?

Hot! If you can`t stand heat don`t move here. June thru September is 90`s almost daily.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:02 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,813 times
I grew up in Ohio, and I have to say....our summers were very muggy, buggy, and HOT. You are correct that winter is very nice in FL. The summers are hot, but once you are here for a while...you get used to it. Kind of like your body gets more accustomed to the cold the longer you live in it.

If you live on the Gulf, I'd almost insist on having a pool, a pool in the community or be near the beach. If you keep your a/c on, have ceiling fans, and try to park in the shade...you'll be fine. I'd take the heat over -15 any day!

Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,813 times
Florida is hot....but we love it. You need a pool at home or in the community. As long as you live with a/c and fans...you'll be fine. Don't buy a dark car, with dark leather seats..OUCH!!!!, and try to park in the shade if you can.

I grew up in Ohio, and the summer up there was just as muggy, and buggy. The difference was...there weren't as many sunny days in a row. Also, the larger trees offer more shade, where FL offers a lot of palms...pretty, but not that shady.

The longer you live in FL, the more used to the heat you will become. The mugginess is the worst, not the heat. If you wear appropriate attire, and learn FL ways (tint windows, looser fitting clothing, light weight cottons, flip flops as much as possible, good a/c system, fans in all your rooms)...you'll like it.

It does rain daily in the summer, but it's late afternoon. The thunderstorm will blow through quickly. While it's raining it will cool down, but after it's gone, and the sun comes back out....steam is everywhere...very muggy. I love the afternoon storms though...great nap time under a fan after a day in the sun! Hope you come to FL...we love it here.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 AM

This is not so for everyone. Born and raised in Florida, have never gotten used to our spring/summer/fall 85+ degree 80%+ humidity.

Quote:
The summers are hot, but once you are here for a while...you get used to it.!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:02 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Strangely, I have thought that the past few years Florida weather has been overall very nice. Not saying there aren't hot sticky days, but there have been far fewer in recent years. Balmy, dry weather lasted through the end of May and cooler days started in October. And even in the summer months there were some nice days. Being in a drought the past few years, while bad for our water shortage, makes the weather nicer.

Also, my hubby grew up in Indiana, and he says it is every bit as hot and muggy there in summer as here. Difference is is cools off a month earlier there. But winters are BRUTAL.

It is MUCH easier (and cheaper) to stay cool than get warm - you have pools and AC or just go sit my the ocean. Here in Lakeland where we have hills trees and lakes, we get beautiful breezes off the lakes on even the hot days. There are microclimates in Florida.

I grew up in Tampa, and I don't think the weather is that bad at all (some years better than others of course)

Old 02-11-2008, 09:12 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
I hate the heat and humidity. Absolutely hate it. I can deal with it until about mid September, when it finally gets to be too much. October is unbearable and so is November until it finally cools down after Thanksgiving.

The heat is what I hate most about Florida. It is just oppressive, even at midnight.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:49 AM

Central Florida coast to coast is also the location for many of our tornadoes. Cenusdata put this in the weather section of the site, so it was interesting to put it here. Click on it to enlarge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3-3 Tornadoes By State.JPG
Views:	2851
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	14561
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida