Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:02 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times

Advertisements

Some see the glass half empty while others see it half full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 10:04 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Florida has a tiny manufacturing sector relative to its demographics. Being 10th in manufacturing yet 3rd in population is laughable, especially considering many of the states that lead us in manufacturing have less than half of our population.

Rick Scott grows jobs as line cooks and fast food workers. Give me a break. By the way, Florida still has the 9th highest U6 unemployment rate in the nation.
There are about 345K manufacturing jobs in FL, I wouldn't exactly call it tiny.

Florida Economy at a Glance

Example:
Aerospace
Florida is a premier aerospace and space location. We rank #1 among states for aerospace manufacturing attractiveness. Our 470+ industry companies excel in areas from aircraft parts and assembly, to intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance, to missiles. Florida also offers tremendous space launch assets.

https://www.enterpriseflorida.com/in...ion-aerospace/

Boeing Revamps Production Facility for Starliner Flights | NASA

INMO #10 overall in manufacturing is not bad.. can be better, but not bad..

Old 04-19-2016, 11:41 AM

167 posts, read 165,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Ive mentioned the amount of industry in FL in the past when posters state there is "no industry" in FL.

FL has the 4th highest GDP in the nation behind CA, TX and NY.
lol GDP comes from SPENDING of course the 3rd most populous state will have a higher GDP than the 40th most populous state doesnt mean those people make more then $15/hr.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:46 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Cherry-picker is what they call you and cherry-picker is what you are.
And you're contributing what exactly other than name-calling? And who is "they"?

If you actually think (along with the feeble-minded others in this thread) that Rick Scott had anything to do personally with bringing jobs to Florida, you're completely flat-out delusional. He's riding the economic recovery that's been happening anyway in terms of job creation and attached himself via PR opportunities like he's the messiah.

"But even if governors do deserve some credit for how the economy performs on their watch, there are other things over which they have no control that can have impacts that are at least as big, if not bigger. These include changes in technology, fluctuations in the national and international economy, demographic shifts (the Census Bureau estimates the state’s population has increased by about 1.46 million people since April 2010, for instance), and events like natural disasters.

Indeed, governors -- like presidents -- tend to get too much credit when things are going well, and too much blame when things are going poorly.

"Presidents, governors, and mayors can have an impact on job creation during their terms in office," Brookings Institution economist Gary Burtless has told PolitiFact previously. "Almost always, however, the impact is small in relation to the effects of events and trends over which elected officials have little control, especially in their first few years on the job. A recession that is underway or begins soon after a president or governor takes office is in no way the fault of the new officeholder. The flip side is that chief executives cannot claim much credit for a strong economic recovery that begins shortly before or after they take the oath of office. The conditions that made the recovery possible were already present when their term in office began. The executive’s policies may have speeded or slowed the recovery around the margins, but the conditions that caused the recovery to begin were already present before the oath of office was administered." This critique is especially relevant in Scott’s case.

Scott took office not long after a severe recession bottomed out. It was no shock that whoever was elected governor in 2010 would benefit from some degree of job growth, since the worst of the recession would be behind them, and the economy tends to run in cycles."

http://www.politifact.com/florida/st...million-jobs-/

Old 04-19-2016, 11:50 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Great Job Gov Scott. We are so lucky to have a governor that's looking out for Florida. Too bad you can't run for a third term, I'm sure you would WIN! in a landslide.
I'll take Scott all day over a Morgan and Morgan scumbag opportunist like Charlie Crist

Old 04-19-2016, 12:26 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famalam View Post
lol GDP comes from SPENDING of course the 3rd most populous state will have a higher GDP than the 40th most populous state doesnt mean those people make more then $15/hr.
GDP comes from the sales of goods, services, products. It has nothing to do with the population.

If you're making $15 an hour - $32 k or so a year so be it. If you want more learn a skills, trade or go into an occupation where you can earn more with your qualifications.

Yes, FL is the 3rd most populous state. It must be the the beaches that keep drawing people.

As I always say, if you dont like your current situation, change it. Many people do so in FL and elsewhere.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:02 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I'll take Scott all day over a Morgan and Morgan scumbag opportunist like Charlie Crist
I chose to sit that one out, as it was just too much to take for me.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:20 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I chose to sit that one out, as it was just too much to take for me.
Oh I agree. Crist vs Scott isn't far off from Hillary/Sanders vs Trump for me. I'll be staying home this election

Old 04-19-2016, 01:25 PM

626 posts, read 976,196 times
Scott is a fantastic governor. If you are a businessman you know how to run a state or country! Same goes for Trump. FANTASTIC

Old 04-19-2016, 10:01 PM

782 posts, read 759,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Some see the glass half empty while others see it half full.
You have to go North into AL, GA and SC to see the glass half full. BTW my glass dried up a long time ago when I stopped drinking the Kool-Aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida