Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 08:05 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Advertisements

Oops....sounds like parent was right there with toddler and couldn't do anything as alligator quickly snatched the little one......feel very bad for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 08:26 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
When people ignore warnings they should bear the responsibility for their actions them self and not blame others nor the wild life .
When one goes into the wild, they invade the animals territory ,and should accept the fact that animals do what they do naturally .
I am more familiar with mountain lion attacks having a few close calls personally.
Animals are acting on their instincts, it's how they survive.
People taking things for granted, simply because it is adjacent to a fantasy land, is how dumbed down stupid people are getting.
I feel bad for the loss and the family , but will any one learn form this event ? I seriously doubt it.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:18 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,510 times
This tragedy is beyond horrific for the parents. I have no interest in laying blame anywhere. This couple lost a child through extremely horrific circumstances - can you imagine being there and seeing your son getting grabbed by an alligator, and not being able to stop it? My god...stop pointing fingers for a moment, and recognize the anguish that this family is going through. Yes, perhaps it will at some point in the future help to prevent such tragedies from happening again, whether it is through more general awareness of such dangers, or of Disney posting more warnings...whatever. But for now, one family is absolutely torn apart.

My heart goes out to them.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:02 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
When people ignore warnings they should bear the responsibility for their actions them self and not blame others nor the wild life .
When one goes into the wild, they invade the animals territory ,and should accept the fact that animals do what they do naturally .
I am more familiar with mountain lion attacks having a few close calls personally.
People taking things for granted, simply because it is adjacent to a fantasy land, is how dumbed down stupid people are getting.
I feel bad for the loss and the family , but will any one learn form this event ? I seriously doubt it.
From what I read so far all that existed was a no swimming sign. This was a man made lake and man made beach that was lit up at night and not fenced off. If true the resort will definitely bear some responsibility. Whether the child was wading in the water or standing on the edge of the beach the same thing could happen.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:09 AM

Agree

Old 06-15-2016, 11:34 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
From what I read so far all that existed was a no swimming sign. This was a man made lake and man made beach that was lit up at night and not fenced off. If true the resort will definitely bear some responsibility. Whether the child was wading in the water or standing on the edge of the beach the same thing could happen.
Yup.
Disney will be hit for millions.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:04 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post

Darn right Disney bears a lot of the responsibility. Disney built a family resort next to a body of water, and should have anticipated that children would be attracted to the water (duh!). With all its millions, I refuse to believe that Disney could not have something more to protect its guests. Some boats patrolling the water regularly? lighting at night?

If it was unrealistic to guarantee that no alligators would ever get in that pond, then the pond should have been fenced off. Even signs specifically warning about alligators would be insufficient, IMO. But of course, the company didn't want to scare off guests with signs about alligators, and a fence woulsd have spoiled the view.

Mickey and Goofy had better lawyer up.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:12 PM

I would expect that if the risk was there, they'd do something about it. Very similar to the Cincinnati Zoo's negligence for not safeguarding its exhibit.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:25 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
These friggin tourists. Do they not learn the ins and out of this state on a BASIC level. We are unlike any other state in we harbour very dangerous predators. Anyone with a 3 rd grade education knows you do now swim in ANY body of water in Fla. you don't even stand at the shore. Gators are predators who wait for they prey to come to them. It was also and night and prime hunting time for them. It's gettin real hard to feel bad for the stupid ones. This kid paid the price for the parents stupidity. No place is immune to gators. Not even Disney. They will walk from body of water to body of water .

Old 06-15-2016, 12:26 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida