Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:31 AM

18 posts, read 124,349 times

Advertisements

My wife, two boys (3 & 5), and I are contemplating a move from Southern California to Florida. The things that are important to us are uncrowded beaches (nice sand, warm water, and waves within a 10 minute drive), golf course (possibly living on or near a country club as we play 3-4 times per week), and low(er) crime rates. We do not work so jobs are not an issue. I was hoping to spend about $1M or so on a newer semi- custom house with around 4500+ square feet (with 4-5 bedrooms and bathrooms).

I have done quite a bit of research on different areas of Florida and I came up Naples, Jupiter, and Bradenton as my top three. I am open to other cities if there are others that I should consider. Otherwise, I would appreciate your comments and opinions on the best place for us to consider.

For those of you wondering why: The sales tax in California is about to be increased to 10% or so. That is on top of the state income tax of 10% and the state is still almost bankrupt. The pollution, crime, and traffic are some of the worst in the US. The beaches are ugly and the water is cold. I love himidity!

I most likely will be making a trip to Florida later this month to spend 1-2 weeks in two different Florida cities to try to select one. If all goes well we plan to move in early August. Thank you all in advance for your suggestions and recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 05:27 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Out of the three you selected Jupiter is by far the best choice. It has great beaches, golf courses, and gives you access to places like Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami very easily. I would not consider Bradenton at all, it is a very high crime area.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:45 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I agree with DJ's post above - of the 3 you would probably be happiest with Jupiter. Bradenton has become almost a slum city with high crime, and while Naples is nice, the Gulf doesn't really have much in the way of waves. If you do want to consider the Gulf Coast, however, I highly recommend Sarasota - beautiful small, cosmopolitan city with some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, lots of golf courses, great dining and shopping and lots of art and cultural opportunities.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:12 AM

Thank you both for your replies. I will definitely cross Bradenton off my list. I will also do some research on Sarasota and possibly add it to my possible choices. Please keep the recommendations and suggestions coming and thank you.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:14 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA to FL View Post
Thank you both for your replies. I will definitely cross Bradenton off my list. I will also do some research on Sarasota and possibly add it to my possible choices. Please keep the recommendations and suggestions coming and thank you.
I would also suggest the St. Augustine/Ponte Vedra areas. I think it will have what you are looking for:

St. Augustine, Ponte Vedra & The Beaches Official Visitors Web Site - Getaway4Florida.com

Old 01-06-2009, 08:08 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Here is a nice website for Sarasota:

Sarasota.com - About Sarasota

Old 01-06-2009, 08:15 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
I would second Jupiter. Easy access to world class shopping, clean small town feeling, beautiful beaches, good schools, low crime.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 AM

Thank you all again for your posts. After doing more research into the St. Augustine and Sarasota areas, the crime rates in both seem very high compared to Naples or Jupiter. In fact, the crime index is more than double in Sarasota and St. Augustine vs. Naples or Jupiter. This is based on the stats that are listed on city-data that is a year or so old. I cannot imagine that any city has gone up or down too much to make a difference; please let me know if I am mistaken.

If I am correct in this, then my current choices to visit and possibly relocate to are Naples and Jupiter. I am open to more suggestions. I am also very interested to hear the pros and cons of both Naples and Jupiter.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:24 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA to FL View Post
Thank you all again for your posts. After doing more research into the St. Augustine and Sarasota areas, the crime rates in both seem very high compared to Naples or Jupiter. In fact, the crime index is more than double in Sarasota and St. Augustine vs. Naples or Jupiter. This is based on the stats that are listed on city-data that is a year or so old. I cannot imagine that any city has gone up or down too much to make a difference; please let me know if I am mistaken.

If I am correct in this, then my current choices to visit and possibly relocate to are Naples and Jupiter. I am open to more suggestions. I am also very interested to hear the pros and cons of both Naples and Jupiter.

Though I have never been to Naples, from what I understand, it is less of a family oriented place than Jupiter. Both areas have areas of enormous wealth, lots of golf, and easy beach access.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:46 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
I would agree with TriMT7 & Gypsychic statements so far. My choice would be Sarasota though. Sarasota county has one of the best school systems in the state. Pine View School for the Gifted is where my children attend and we absolutely love it.

Naples and Jupiter are both geared more toward the wealthy and retired folks. I think that's why you are fining the lower crime rates in those areas. Everyone is in bed by 7 pm. Not to say they are not nice towns-just not much for the kids to do, IMO. Like you said and others, I would cross Bradenton off the list.

I think the beaches are much nicer on the west coast of Florida. The water is warmer, not nearly as rough and usually doesn't have weird stuff floating in it.

To me Sarasota is more of a family town than any of the other towns mentioned. I grew up there and am raising my three kids in Sarasota. There's a large arts community and lots of stuff to do for kids and adults: Mote Marine, GWIZ, Selby Gardens, Jungle Gardens, The Children Garden, Etc.

Looking at your requirements Lakewood Ranch and The Founders Club come to mind as possibilities.

Once you narrow your search down you might also want to go post some questions under the section for each specific city. If you are just visiting two cities I would pick Jupiter and Sarasota to visit. Then you'll get an idea of both coasts. Make sure you visit the beaches in both areas

Last edited by SoFLGal; 01-06-2009 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida