Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 12:57 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDtrucker View Post
It happens a lot, people not reading the date of the first post in a thread, the original post stated they were planning to move to FL all the way back at the beginning of 2008. That was the point.

Nothings changed, same sulltry sauna-like weather there much of the year.

Welcome to Florida - Lots of heat, humidity, hurricanes, high crime, bad attitudes, bugs, bums, and more!
You know what also happens a lot? People making broad brush statements about an entire state that happens to be the 4th highest in population and covers over 65,000 sq miles.

It was 62 degrees this morning, in the 70's now, have the windows open, nice breeze blowing though.
Haven't had any more issues with hurricanes than I have with some strong thunderstorms that happen everywhere.
Crime in my area is not at all high.
Many of the bad attitudes on here seem to be from those that don't like the heat and want to leave.
No bums near my house and there isn't a state that doesn't have bugs, treat your home correctly any they will stay away for the most part, if you are going into the woods there are many natural repellants to keep them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,267 times
I live in FL too last 6 years and developed a terrible breathing problem, went to er many times. Hot and humidity together is very awful thing. I would never think I would have this problem because I actually used to like hot against cold. If I would have chance I would definitely move to somewhere else.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:08 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicibebe View Post
I live in FL too last 6 years and developed a terrible breathing problem, went to er many times. Hot and humidity together is very awful thing. I would never think I would have this problem because I actually used to like hot against cold. If I would have chance I would definitely move to somewhere else.
Check too your living situation, especially if you have lived in the same place the entire time. Many FL residences (especially older ones) collect mold in air ducts and then every time the A/C is on you breathe it in. Some people are more sensitive to mold than others, and can develop all kinds of problems like with breathing, headaches, sore throat, etc. Mold can also accumulate behind walls or behind tiles in a bathroom - anywhere that leaking or moisture can occur. If you have a problem with mold that A/C alone is not helping, having the unit serviced regularly, and adding an industrial dehumidifier, can make a huge difference.

Another possible source that Floridians might be more subject to than many others are the droppings of critters, particularly cockroaches. Since we live in their habitat, especially those near swamp areas, it can be hard to eliminate them entirely from a home. If you get cockroach droppings in air ducts, again, you breathe that in every time the air comes on if you have central air. Cockroach and rat droppings both can cause asthma. They can also be in carpet or behind walls, and dust from it can get into the air when you vacuum. Some people make it a habit to bomb their homes for bugs monthly - especially some apartment buildings - and the regular breathing in of these chemicals can also harm your health, including lungs.

Something to consider, that if this is not a problem you had before and has become really severe, it might be an allergic reaction to something in the air that being in the heat then exacerbates.

I became very sick from an apartment in Miami that had mold in the air ducts and a cockroach problem additionally, and when I moved back up North to a clean house that had an industrial dehumidifier installed, I got much better. When I bought my house in the Keys, I paid to have an additional mold inspection done to be sure, and although I was very fearful of getting sick again, I have not had the same problems come back. I am very careful to keep the internal humidity low and to prevent leaks around any A/C and plumbing connections, and I am lucky that so far this house has no bug issues. I suffered needlessly for years because of poor building maintenance and an uncaring management that put high rents into their pockets rather than into caring for the buildings people lived in.

It might just be the heat, but if you never had this issue before it could be the other things that come with FL heat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida