Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 02:43 PM

103 posts, read 230,758 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from CT to Citrus County next month. I'm a Florida native and most of my family still lives down there. We are moving back to be close to family, enjoy a slower pace of life, and escape winter weather and very high cost of living. We are moving with jobs so that is not an issue. We chose Citrus County due to proximity to family members and good school district. Also looking for something more rural, with a small town feel, since we are coming from a suburb of NYC and want the complete opposite of what we have now. So, my question is.....out of the following areas, can anyone suggest what might be best for families? We have two kids, ages 10 & 11. Target areas are Pine Ridge, Citrus Springs, Inverness and Citrus Hills. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 05:37 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
I'd say Inverness. It has a great small town downtown area, the usual shopping conveniences in terms of grocery stores, the infamous Wallymart if that matters, and good schools.

Inverness, FL - Official Website - Main Street Business District

Old 07-09-2013, 12:09 PM

Thank you Kyle! I appreciate your input.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:52 PM

114 posts, read 250,585 times
I know this is a bit of an older thread, but I found it on a google search. If you're looking for more rural and less suburban, then Pine Ridge, Citrus Springs, Citrus Hills, and pretty much the areas in the north-central part of the county are probably not for you. That being said, there is some nice country on SR200, US 41, Withlacoochee (CR39) in that part of the county, but beware that with country comes a bit of a drive to basics like the grocery stores and schools.

Floral City, Hernando, Lecanto, Red Level, Inverness, Crystal River, Dunnellon (citrus side) and Homosassa all offer more of a "rural" feel. In fact, most parts of the county besides the developments offer that, it really just depends on finding the right mix for you and your family.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,024 times
Kellygirl925 I was wondering where you decided on and if you are happy there. We are looking at inverness too and have young kids.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:02 PM

741 posts, read 916,021 times
I'd suggest anyone withhold judgement on Citrus County schools if all they're going on are statistics they're reading on teh internet 2000 miles away.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myamazingfamily View Post
Kellygirl925 I was wondering where you decided on and if you are happy there. We are looking at inverness too and have young kids.
We moved to Pine Ridge last August and absolutely love it! We love this neighborhood and proximity to Crystal River. We've been very happy with the schools the kids attended this past year, they both excelled yet still found it a bit challenging. I was happy to see that recently my 7th grader was helping her 8th grade cousin with homework via facetime (and her cousin goes to a magnet school in Stamford, CT) and they were both learning the same thing in their history class. Florida schools get a bad rap so this just confirmed that my kids are in good schools. We did choose Citrus County over Marion County due to school ratings. Also very impressed with the Little League softball program my kids are involved with. Much more organized then what they were part of in CT and lots more involvement as well. Besides all that, we love being close to family, the natural springs close by, being within 2 hours of theme parks, etc.....Also love the laid back lifestyle down here compared to where we were in CT. My kids still complain occasionally that we have to drive all the way to Ocala for Starbucks or a decent mall but then they forget about that when they jump in our beautiful pool!

Thanks for asking! And we do go to Inverness quite a bit as well. It's a very nice town, I love the downtown square area! And my kids have played softball at Whispering Pines there, which is very pretty. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2014, 05:19 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygirl925 View Post
We moved to Pine Ridge last August and absolutely love it! We love this neighborhood and proximity to Crystal River. We've been very happy with the schools the kids attended this past year, they both excelled yet still found it a bit challenging. I was happy to see that recently my 7th grader was helping her 8th grade cousin with homework via facetime (and her cousin goes to a magnet school in Stamford, CT) and they were both learning the same thing in their history class. Florida schools get a bad rap so this just confirmed that my kids are in good schools. We did choose Citrus County over Marion County due to school ratings. Also very impressed with the Little League softball program my kids are involved with. Much more organized then what they were part of in CT and lots more involvement as well. Besides all that, we love being close to family, the natural springs close by, being within 2 hours of theme parks, etc.....Also love the laid back lifestyle down here compared to where we were in CT. My kids still complain occasionally that we have to drive all the way to Ocala for Starbucks or a decent mall but then they forget about that when they jump in our beautiful pool!

Thanks for asking! And we do go to Inverness quite a bit as well. It's a very nice town, I love the downtown square area! And my kids have played softball at Whispering Pines there, which is very pretty. Good luck!
Awesome, good to hear it all worked out well!

Old 03-07-2015, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,249 times
Default Decition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myamazingfamily View Post
Im relocating to citrus county: I have a 3,2,1 year old. I'm also looking for good schools and decent sized town. Did you relocate? Do you have any suggestions?

Old 03-09-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroline79 View Post
Im relocating to citrus county: I have a 3,2,1 year old. I'm also looking for good schools and decent sized town. Did you relocate? Do you have any suggestions?
Yes, we did relocate in August of 2013, from CT. We moved back to Florida (I was born & raised here) after living in CT for 24 years. I wanted to be near family, aging parents and get away from the grind of a NYC suburb. We are very happy to be back. After lots of research we chose Citrus County for many reasons, one being the school system. My younger daughter went to 5th grade at Central Ridge Elementary in Citrus Springs and we were very happy with it. Now both of my kids are at Crystal River Middle School, and we are also happy with it. Your kids are young and I only have the 1 years worth of experience with an elementary school.
Not sure what you consider a decent sized town.....Inverness is probably the largest town in Citrus County. I would suggest doing your research first, visiting the area, schools, etc.....We like being close to Crystal River and love all of the natural springs & rivers in the area. And it's only a 30 minute drive to Ocala if we need to do major shopping, etc....Also, we are less than two hours from Tampa, which isn't bad at all. We were looking for something rural after living in a big city. We like the slower pace & laid back lifestyle. Also like having an acre of land & some space.

Good luck to you, please don't hesitate to ask if you have other questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida