Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 05:18 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'd make sure wherever you went, as a 70+ yr old, that medical centers, physician's care, and assisted living type arrangements are nearby if that intends to be your final destination retirement area. Living in rural areas can be difficult for older folks as the need for health care usually increases.

I think Floridians escaping the state head to North Carolina Mountains, Tennessee, Georgia and possibly Nevada out west (to answer your question).

Last summer I spent a few weeks at the USAF Academy and really enjoyed the area but not sure I could handle any more winters after living in Europe for over 20 yrs. I ski, mountain bike, spend a lot of times outdoors, but as a retiree, I'd think some of that will be scaled back (especially skiing). I like Colorado Springs in the summer better than FL, but think having sun year around is better for me. I also liked SLC area Utah and Reno, Nevada as other retirement destinations.
Where we are looking at to move to in Colorado, isn't rural by any means. Not with a population of 70,000. And, don't know about where you live in Florida, but where we live, Jacksonville, there definitely isn't "sun year around". We have some very gloomy, dreary days here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 05:26 AM

Well, from what I'm reading, it's pretty rare to see anyone who is living in Florida to move to the Rocky Mountain or Plains States, like we plan on doing.

I know there are a number of folks living here that moved here from Ohio and Michigan. Wonder if any of those folks, who decided they don't like Florida, moved back to Ohio or Michigan.

Basically speaking, we have come to find out that we just don't make good "Floridians" or "Southerners". Now, if we had the finances, which some Baby Boomers and earlier Generation have, we'd be "Snowbirds", but seriously doubt we'd make Florida a summer second home.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:32 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
I know several natives who have moved out. It’s just gotten too crowded and if you are not of retirement age, the fact that the commutes are getting longer while wages aren’t getting any better is not appealing. Younger people tend to move where there are better job opportunities- Atlanta, Chicago, DC, NYC, Austin, etc. People I know closer to retirement age seem to like NC because it has four seasons.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:38 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, from what I'm reading, it's pretty rare to see anyone who is living in Florida to move to the Rocky Mountain or Plains States, like we plan on doing..
Are you reading threads in other states?
People move from Florida post on threads of states where they’re moving to, more so than on the Florida threads.
Check out Idaho for example.
I read a few threads from people heading there after living in Florida.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Are you reading threads in other states?
People move from Florida post on threads of states where they’re moving to, more so than on the Florida threads.
Check out Idaho for example.
I read a few threads from people heading there after living in Florida.
Will have to check that out.

Thing is, only a few people here understand why we want to leave, everyone else thinks we are nuts. Florida and Jacksonville is "Utopia" to them. No place in the entire U.S. is as nice as Florida........to them.

Funny, but when we tell folks here what we miss about Colorado and that region, like Elk, rodeo's, boating and fishing, there interest sure isn't in seeing Elk or being around rodeo or any kind of cowboy stuff. I spent 20 some years involved in rodeo.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:53 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Will have to check that out.

Thing is, only a few people here understand why we want to leave, everyone else thinks we are nuts. Florida and Jacksonville is "Utopia" to them. No place in the entire U.S. is as nice as Florida........to them.

Funny, but when we tell folks here what we miss about Colorado and that region, like Elk, rodeo's, boating and fishing, there interest sure isn't in seeing Elk or being around rodeo or any kind of cowboy stuff. I spent 20 some years involved in rodeo.
Perhaps RVing for months at a time to your fav state other than FL. It isn't prohibitively expensive. It's what retirees do.

I go north during May-July in a tiny travel trailer probably costs $5k in expenses.

Btw, nobody here wants to hear you bash the state they've decided to settle at.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Perhaps RVing for months at a time to your fav state other than FL. It isn't prohibitively expensive. It's what retirees do.

Btw, nobody here wants to hear you bash the state they've decided to settle at.
What about those that decided to settle here, but later changed their mind? That does happen and that is what this thread is about. I was just inquiring where people who don't want to live here anymore move to. If someone considers "bashing", telling what they don't like about an area and/or state, then that's up to them, but I'm not bashing.

You like it, or even love it, here, that's up to you. But, the replies on this thread are from those that don't.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:33 AM

459 posts, read 585,782 times
Quote:
What about those that decided to settle here, but later changed their mind? That does happen and that is what this thread is about. I was just inquiring where people who don't want to live here anymore move to. If someone considers "bashing", telling what they don't like about an area and/or state, then that's up to them, but I'm not bashing.

You like it, or even love it, here, that's up to you. But, the replies on this thread are from those that don't.

No, you're not bashing; just an opinion like the rest of us. The BucFan lives on the forums. Seems to always start OK then stirs the pot a little and next thing you know you're a racist ..... just ignore the troll.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:50 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I moved to California (San Francisco) and Alaska (Wasilla)... I keep coming back to Florida (Orlando, but I also loved South Florida too around Delray Beach to Fort Lauderdale). I know for a fact now that I prefer hot weather, tropical feeling landscapes, nice homes etc.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
No, you're not bashing; just an opinion like the rest of us. The BucFan lives on the forums. Seems to always start OK then stirs the pot a little and next thing you know you're a racist ..... just ignore the troll.
Thanks for letting me know. I done this thread for info, not to "bash".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida