Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2018, 06:46 AM

106 posts, read 109,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
And where some form of responsible zoning is in place, unlike most of Central Florida. I mean has any development been denied because it's excessive? Look around at the numbers of empty strip shopping centers or vacant standalone buildings where permission is granted to build an identical project across the street involving mowing down trees/displacing wildlife. And don't get me started on gas stations/convenience stores. Is it a requirement that every major intersection requires one at each corner? Ridiculous, and that is not "progress".
Agree completely! It's so irresponsible. There is only so much land on the planet. Why do we have 5 Dunkin Donuts within 10 miles of me? Is that really necessary? And yes, more huge Wawa's and Racetrac stations, even where there are 2 gas stations already on the next corner! And storage facilities popping up all over. I attended a community meeting with developers interested in building another one, and when asked how they measure the need for their facilities, they said research has shown 70 square feet of storage is needed for every family of 3. That means we as Americans have so much STUFF we need storage units developed to hold it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I wonder how many people are moving out of Florida every day? Any stats on that??
From what I understand it's cheap land, low cost of living, low taxes on retirement and warm weather. Apparently, Florida was just named Best State to Retire, and this article explains why: https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-w...-retire/18592/

Old 01-22-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Too much growth taking place. All the available land left is being turned into housing and shopping centers. Miles and miles of the same growth everywhere. Tear down the trees and it'll turn the area barren and hotter. Trees provide shade and keep it cooler. That's why south fl gets so hot now. That area was all pine trees until recently. There's nothing but concrete and asphalt everywhere. Every place in South FL and increasingly Tampa and Orlando is just bumper to bumper traffic no matter what time of the day it seems. FL is quickly going to be built out like NJ.
So true. We're destroying the natural beauty, misplacing countless wildlife, ruining our air quality and driving heat up. All for more luxury homes and fast food chains. Just super.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:08 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I have lived all over the US and when younger I enjoyed 4 seasons. But as you age generally, though not everyone, cold becomes an issue. Then shoveling snow. The humidity is not fun if working hard, but the heat and humidity where I live now in E. TN is virtually the same as FL in the Summer, so I am now used to it. Longer for sure, but the milder FL Winter offsets that. Everyone is different and I grew up in SoCal at the beach so nothing is the same now as it was for me then. CA is too expensive and crowded and too many increasing taxes and fees to bother with moving back. FL was the second choice and I have been to FL many times at all seasons to "test" it.
Haha, well I am only 23 I have all the time in the world right now. I enjoy shovelling snow. We are getting a big storm today (so they say) and I am getting a work out today, you betcha.

You live in East Tennessee or are from there? We would vacation there in winter. Never been in summer though I would like to for Dollywood. One day after I'm married maybe I'll go back down there with my other half. I miss the Tennessee mountains. Though I really wanna see Nashville, too. If I was to move down South it'd be Tennessee or North Carolina. That's not gonna happen though. Up north couldn't be more suited for my personality. Not just the weather but I love the culture and that Midwestern mix of progressivism and blue collar no nonsense grit.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ld75 View Post
I bet there would be thousands of people willing to trade places with you. I would take a Florida winter over a NY winter any day.

My family and I just got back from Florida last night, New Years Eve. We went down for the holidays to spend time with family we have down there. Coming back to NY when it's 9 degrees outside and to shovel is depressing.

If I could fork lift my family and move down to Florida I would in a heart beat. Florida is where our hearts are. We go down there every year to spend time with family.

So if you rather shovel snow on Christmas than go outside and enjoy a nice 70 degrees day, then let me know. I will be more than happy to have you come over and help me with the shoveling.
I don't think people realise how light snowfalls are here in Minnesota. We only need to shovel after a heavier snowfall or storm, as we are fixing to get today. Most of our snows come from Alberta Clippers which bring fluffy snow that barely covers an inch. Its the occasional storm that brings heavy accumulation and nowhere to the frequencies of the East coast. Most of the winter days here are cold but sunny and this January has been very mild with above freezing temps. Too mild honestly.

It was 0 degrees on Christmas here and I loved it. Snowed around midnight when I got home from midnight mass and then cold sunshine without wind. Great for ice skating. Sorry I don't care for 70 degrees on Christmas. Had a lot of those in Florida and even some in Texas. Gross. You know what else is nice? 50s and 40s in October with red and orange leaves. Only advantage Florida has is the beaches in the summer but one long road trip every couple years to see my family will take care of that.

Florida is a long state though, admittedly there's nicer parts. My personal favourite is the coastal panhandle. Those are fantastic beaches and people are friendly in there unlike the southern part. Miami is a hellhole. I grew up there and couldn't be more a fish out of water. Neither of my parents live there anymore they moved to other towns but the majority of my family is still there so unfortunately I will still have to visit and deal with the traffic and jerks every year or so. If I could convince my family to move to the Midwest then that'd be great lol.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Enjoy it while it lasts peeps, we bailed in 2015 and some of our friends are thinking of joining us in San Diego. Mainly due to the better job market and opportunity, but I think they are just talking since they are too vested to make the move.

I read this around time time we left in 2015, still valid and will become such:

Squeezing them in: Florida’s growing population will come at a price | tbo.com
Yep. And the infrastructure problem mentioned - about everyone having to travel on just 2 roads to leave the state- was very apparent when Irma moved through. A record number of residents evacuated (1/3 of the population was under evac warning) and it was a nightmare for them to get out - and come home. Our neighbors left with their kids and dog and said they'll never do that again. 14 hours each way (to Georgia), having to exit and drive miles from the highway for gas so they wouldn't run out while trapped on the interstate. They said next time they'll take their chances at home. This article talks about what a disaster it was, and how necessary it is to rethink all this development without having better infrastructure in place: Hurricane Irma aftermath: Is Florida too developed to evacuate? | Miami Herald

Old 01-22-2018, 07:28 AM

[quote=expatCA;50656778]A sense of community takes time to build. IF FL does not feel like home after a while, they will not mesh well with the community.[/QUOTE

Sense of community is why I love Saint Paul and dislike Bloomington. Its a suburban problem, the way I see it. Florida is a long sprawly suburb in this day and age and those suburbs were built recently. "Sense of community" grows organically with generations. You have to go to a small town to find that. Suburbs are too modern and transient. Also it's a sad fact but in 2018 people are less likely to talk to their new neighbours.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
and let's not pretend these northern states don't have extremes in temps as well during summer months - I've seen snow in July in Idaho and 100-temps in SLC Utah......and NYC, Philly and other large cities seem to have miserable heat waves every year....
Yeah, heat waves. As in "not the entire summer". Those heat waves last a week and then its back to normal. What is considered a "heat wave" up north is an average summer week down south. I would rather have some unseasonably hot days in August than have that crap drag on from May 1st to October 25th. Summer weather down south encroaches too late into fall. 90 degrees in October is overkill.

Salt Lake City is a western city, why are you even comparing it with northern cities like Chicago or Boston? They aren't even the same climate. Also, as this winter has shown, the South can get bitter cold snaps with snow as well but it would be silly to say Louisiana has very cold winters because of an occasional snowy week, eh?

Anyway the heat in summer doesn't bother me it's the heat in spring and fall and warmth in winter. Keep the summer warm and winter cold and the other seasons in between and I am happy.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
CA taxes are outrageous. Along with the NE. The northerners moving down here trying to turn this state blue will also turn this place into a high cost area like CA and the NE. $500,000 for a 3 bedroom 2 bedroom 1500 sq ft house is redundant. It's not to mention that CA is also a sanctuary state for illegals.
You don't have to worry about northerners turning the state blue. The 200,000 Puerto Ricans who just moved in will take care of that. Not that I'm complaining- I tend to lean that way myself. But it's definitely something that die-hard GOP supporters will have to contend with.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:48 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Haha, well I am only 23 I have all the time in the world right now. I enjoy shovelling snow. We are getting a big storm today (so they say) and I am getting a work out today, you betcha.

You live in East Tennessee or are from there? We would vacation there in winter. Never been in summer though I would like to for Dollywood. One day after I'm married maybe I'll go back down there with my other half. I miss the Tennessee mountains. Though I really wanna see Nashville, too. If I was to move down South it'd be Tennessee or North Carolina. That's not gonna happen though. Up north couldn't be more suited for my personality. Not just the weather but I love the culture and that Midwestern mix of progressivism and blue collar no nonsense grit.
Yes you have time, but not all the time in the world. It seems like yesterday that I was 23 and I am a LOT older now. Don't waste your time.

I was born and raised in SoCal and moved to E. TN a few years ago. Beautiful area for sure and the 4 seasons were not a major issue, though I now hate cold. However the air quality against the Smokies is almost as bad as SoCal. Used to Live in NC, but TN is better overall and no State income tax. I have lived all over the US and while I love SoCal it has become a mess. FL will simply be my last stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida