Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 12:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
those who can not are complaining. thats fine but it also will solve nothing.
Curt, I respectfully disagree; I think that several people here (Sunrico comes to mind) have begun threads with reasoned, thoughtful approaches to Florida's problems.
And they even managed to do it without using any exclamation points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 01:04 PM

467 posts, read 1,692,286 times
yes i agree with you, but i just don't view reasoned thoughtful approaches to the problems the same as I view complaints. many "complaints" in this forum are mostly like rage.....and I can't even take the person serious. the thoughtful well reasoned posts are respected as they do not almost demand one to not enter florida or insist that you will surely starve if you do. some get so redundant as if that is what it takes to convince others into their way of thinking.
anyway,,,this is how if percieve it.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:58 PM
ARC

181 posts, read 787,038 times
Default I totally disagree

We can afford to live here in Florida, so I am NOT a "have not."

However, I think it's only fair to bring up problems that are unique to this area (I'm referring to Central Florida b/c that's where I live). I think it gives a complete picture of the area. Unique problems to this area are: 1) HUGE schools, built after the housing developments are put in, and as an afterthought, which are usually overcrowded at the end of their first year opened; 2) a low-wage economy dependent on tourism; 3) a growing problem with crime b/c of the low wage jobs available here combined with the increasing cost of living.

It has nothing to do with a "positive attitude." If these "problems" do not bother or affect you, more power to you. However, if you are a typical middle class family with young children, they WILL affect you. A "positive attitude" will not make these problems "go away."

And yes, I've been more than involved with school boards and local representatives trying to get these problems resolved.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:30 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,163,217 times
Has anyone noticed that there don't seem to be as many threads/posts as before the breakdown by cities or am I just not going to the right places? It also seems like we have more activity in this more general Florida section.

And I agree with Nomoresubways also about not coming around to Florida because of the constant bashing by some.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC View Post

However, I think it's only fair to bring up problems that are unique to this area.

It has nothing to do with a "positive attitude." If these "problems" do not bother or affect you, more power to you. However, if you are a typical middle class family with young children, they WILL affect you. A "positive attitude" will not make these problems "go away."
ARC
Nobody is saying that issues should not be brought up, nor ignoring the middle class squeeze, and I appreciate your perspective as well as your mature, articulate descriptions of these problems with central Florida's schools or low wage economy.
I do not think people who come to this forum are looking for a sugar-coated fantasy.
It's just that recently this place has been flooded with bad vibes.
My own family has had its rough times; I still do not know for sure where we'll be in six months. A positive attitude sure does not make problems go away, but it is a step in the right direction.
If I gave up on a positive attitude, I might be under a bridge somewhere.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:16 PM

628 posts, read 1,834,758 times
Quote:
We can afford to live here in Florida, However, I think it's only fair to bring up problems that are unique to this area

ARC I’m not implying you shouldn’t bring up problems for the purpose of exposure, it is fair to do so. Nor did I say that Florida is Utopia.

What I did say was complaining is not going to solve the issues nor will it stop others from coming here, nor will it help you!

Complaining will not make your life better, it will however make People tend to ignore you. Lessen your chances of a promotion or raise at work. Negatively influence your own mood and your relationships with family and friends

Quote:
It has nothing to do with a "positive attitude."
I beg to differ - Life has everything to do with a positive attitude.

Quote:
I am NOT a "have not."
If your complaining you have no shoes then just ask the person who has no feet.

Ps - I agree with Cil – I’ve had my ups and downs and if it weren’t for a positive attitude I be under a bridge for sure

Old 12-13-2006, 03:27 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,658,127 times
Agree totally Shores9

Old 12-13-2006, 03:28 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
You'll have a positive attitude when they bend you over and give it to you. Don't just sit there like an idiot, make a fuss and get people together to try and fix things. Sit by and be "positive" and see your quality of life disappear while you are just letting it happen. The problem with Florida is that people take it and don't get together to fight.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:33 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,370,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
You'll have a positive attitude when they bend you over and give it to you. Don't just sit there like an idiot, make a fuss and get people together to try and fix things. Sit by and be "positive" and see your quality of life disappear while you are just letting it happen. The problem with Florida is that people take it and don't get together to fight.
What are you fixing, tallrick? If a writer posts that they are happy with the way things are then I guess it's your problems that needs fixing and not theres.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Sit by and be "positive" and see your quality of life disappear while you are just letting it happen
Who's "sitting by"?
We sure aren't.
Optimism does not equal inaction.
Tallrick, have you joined the 1,000 Friends of Florida?

http://www.1000friendsofflorida.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida