Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 04:05 PM

628 posts, read 1,834,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Who's "sitting by"?
We sure aren't.
Optimism does not equal inaction.
Tallrick, have you joined the 1,000 Friends of Florida?

http://www.1000friendsofflorida.org/
Cil thank you for the post and for the link.

tallrick - BTW one of the problems I'm learning to deal with is using a sledge hammer to fix a problem when a screwdriver will do. I'm all about fixing problems but I'm finding it's the attitude and approach that counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 06:26 PM
ARC

181 posts, read 787,038 times
I agree that it's best to be positive, rather than negative, in a general 'outlook on life' kind of way. But I think sometimes it's best to get angry/negative or whatever you want to call it, about something that's just not right. Of course you have to back up your passion with action. But to accept that your community is basically going down the tubes and just being positive about the situation is something I can't do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
ARC
Nobody is saying that issues should not be brought up, nor ignoring the middle class squeeze, and I appreciate your perspective as well as your mature, articulate descriptions of these problems with central Florida's schools or low wage economy.
I do not think people who come to this forum are looking for a sugar-coated fantasy.
It's just that recently this place has been flooded with bad vibes.
My own family has had its rough times; I still do not know for sure where we'll be in six months. A positive attitude sure does not make problems go away, but it is a step in the right direction.
If I gave up on a positive attitude, I might be under a bridge somewhere.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:30 PM
ARC

181 posts, read 787,038 times
I agree that generally a positive attitude helps in life. However, when a "positive" attitude stops working, you have to get a little negative. I just can't be positive about how some things are done in my community. Change happens b/c of someone's anger and negativity, not because someone is positive and happy about the status quo.

I beg to differ - Life has everything to do with a positive attitude.

If your complaining you have no shoes then just ask the person who has no feet.

Ps - I agree with Cil – I’ve had my ups and downs and if it weren’t for a positive attitude I be under a bridge for sure[/quote]

Old 12-13-2006, 06:52 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,163,217 times
Just ask my little kitten. I found her (well my dog found her) in the backyard this weekend. She was limping and all beat up and has a fractured femur. She's now found a good home, happy, resting, well fed, and on her way to recovering nicely. This is Tabatha.

Last edited by vpcats; 07-10-2007 at 04:10 AM..

Old 12-13-2006, 06:57 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
AWWWW what a cute kitty. VP, you are like me. Just let some lonely little furball walk around my yard alone and you can be sure it's found a home. Hope the little femur heals fast.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:12 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,908,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
very nice shores9......
the fact is that people either can afford to live here or they can not. its always been the way everywhere throughout the country.
those who can not are complaining. thats fine but it also will solve nothing.
I really appreciate the honesty of Shores9's comment. I think it was very well said. Positive attitude is very important in everything that you do, but then again so is common sense. I don't think a lot of the comments are people complaining, but more expressing thier opinion. I know I say a lot of things people may not want to hear, but you have to take the good with the bad. I for one can easily afford to live wherever I want. I have lived in Southwest Florida all my life. I know more about the area and the economic changes than sombody who moved here 5 or 6 years ago. I'm not trying to be arrogant, just expressing an opinion. As far as pictures of Florida I can post pictures of things you could never imagine that stem back many years, but I choose not to share them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage anyone, just want them to see both sides of the coin. Florida can seem like paradise at times, other times it's not even close. It all boils down to common sense, nothing on this earth is perfect.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:31 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,163,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Just ask my little kitten. I found her (well my dog found her) in the backyard this weekend. She was limping and all beat up and has a fractured femur. She's now found a good home, happy, resting, well fed, and on her way to recovering nicely. This is Tabatha.
Thanks. That's pretty much how I now have 5 cats and 2 dogs. But I posted her pic here for a reason.
As much complaining about Florida and insurance and taxes and low wages and illegals and da da da, as there is, you can be here today and gone tomorrow and you can never tell when your luck will change.

OOPPPSSS. I meant to quote Jammie (not myself). :-(

Old 12-13-2006, 09:18 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,992 times
Hey thanks for that link cil! Cool site!

vpcats (what's the "vp"?) that's a sweet thing! Thank you for caring!

tallrick - ok, tell you what. I'll take that place in Key Largo off your hands for FREE! I know, it's a wonderful gesture on my part, & a really big sacrafice, but I just can't sit back & let you be so miserable down there! So just say the word, & we can arrange the keys to be dropped off & the title transferred...My Christmas gift to you!

Old 12-13-2006, 09:21 PM

317 posts, read 1,229,808 times
Default Shores 9 - Thank you for your Quote

I love it....and it is so true.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:30 PM

628 posts, read 1,834,758 times
ARC I think we’re almost saying the same thing here. I’m not happy about a lot of things but I try to maintain a positive attitude. Positive and optimistic can = angry

I don’t have kids in school –both mine are adults and I’m angry that Fla is not doing a better job for our kids. I’m angry about how local governments spend our money with 12-14% budget increases when inflation is only 3%. I’m angry about the insurance issue,

But I’d rather be optimistic and think that the next time I email my legislator, sign a petition or vote it will make a difference. Maybe the odds are against me but without optimism I wouldn’t bother.

Firemed

Common sense is a great gift – too bad there are some very smart people who are entirely void of it. Why don’t you share some of your pictures with us? I’m always looking for an opportunity to learn especially from someone with your experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida