Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2018, 07:31 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The early voting line in Dr. Phillips (Orlando) was maybe 5 people long when I went the other day. I was in and out in about 5-10 minutes. A lazy person won't vote even if they were given 2 months. Nonetheless, I support extending the early voting period, but I wouldn't want it too early where people vote before the first debate even takes place.
The numbers, I think, are showing record early voting for midterms.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...221015740.html

"It’s a midterm like no other in modern times in Florida. Four million votes in hand four days before the election — that has never happened in a midterm.

Among the many unanswered questions: Are independents favoring Democrats as polls suggest? Will there be a weekend surge in early voting, and will it favor Democrats? Will Republicans dominate in precinct voting on Election Day, as they did in 2014 and 2016?"

Obviously many people are less than lazy...as I'm sure many millions more will vote this weekend and then Tuesday.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:49 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
The numbers from I've seen are close to 2016 numbers. Normally the party in charge loses seats during midterms. It seems the recent events has solidified the Senate for Republicans and the House for Democrats.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:14 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Default Ocean warming threatens global oxygen production

Warming oceans could disrupt phytoplankton photosynthesis, which provides much of the world's oxygen.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1201094120.htm

https://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view.php?id=7187

The impact of man-made climate change on phytoplankton may be one of the greatest threats to mankind, and also the most underappreciated and least studied impact.

Ocean warming also is reducing oxygen levels in the oceans, threatening marine life.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...n-zones-ocean/

https://www.carbonbrief.org/guest-po...levels-to-fall

Increasingly, the ocean's great fisheries are being diminished.

Yet man-made climate change deniers simply don't care enough to help push the world towards a transition away from fossil fuel consumption.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The numbers from I've seen are close to 2016 numbers. Normally the party in charge loses seats during midterms. It seems the recent events has solidified the Senate for Republicans and the House for Democrats.
The Senate was never in play based on any odds.

The tale is going to be in certain Senate seats (in some Red states AND in some Trump states) and in the House and very much in Gov. races.

The total tale (total number of votes divided by which party the votes were for) will tell us something of the feeling out there.

Also, the predictions are for many millions (tens of millions) of Americans to be in states with Democratic Governors after this election. If we are to be honest with ourselves, we know that when a party has state control they have a great benefit in setting up maps, voting rights, purging the rolls, etc - that is, we wouldn't have had GWB if his bro wasn't Gov. of Florida and that's a fact.

Does this mean much beyond the midterms? IMHO, no. But I like to look at reality at the moment and leave the future to future events.

Florida, since we are on that forum, has been getting more and more purple and has historically had a 4-5% advantage for Republicans. When that is whittled down to 1 or 2, the independents call the tune. Being as Florida went for Obama, if it goes for another Dem for major office that is a big deal in the current environment and goes 100% against what some say (no one votes dem any more, etc.)...

Old 11-03-2018, 09:54 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
See post 34 in this thread for a detailed discussion of the varied threats, including salt water intrusion and even increasing rainfall, that man-made climate change poses for southern Florida water supplies.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...l#post53541283

Here's one linked article featured in the post.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-water-problem

Old 11-03-2018, 11:39 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Although global warming is a very important issue fr FL voters this election cycle, healthcare is the most important issue for them. Btw, from all 50 states FL has the most people on Obamacare. Obamacare has a good approval rating in FL -- 49% approve, 38% do not approve.

Yet, according to this Vox Poll, Ricky leads Nelson by 5 points.

Latest survey gives Rick Scott 5-point lead over Bill Nelson - Florida Politics

What gives?

Old 11-03-2018, 01:30 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Although global warming is a very important issue fr FL voters this election cycle, healthcare is the most important issue for them. Btw, from all 50 states FL has the most people on Obamacare. Obamacare has a good approval rating in FL -- 49% approve, 38% do not approve.

What gives?
Democrats at least on a national level have gone crazy that’s why. It’s why i voted for Scott. I did vote for Gillum because he is running for governor, but I would not vote Democrat in this day and age in the Senate or house until they stop pandering for votes.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:

What gives?
What probably gives is the specific web site you picked and a single poll.

At this very moment the odds are 68% for Nelsom. Go to:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...idterms-header

and hover over Florida.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:29 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
What probably gives is the specific web site you picked and a single poll.
No conspiracy; that’s the latest poll. Nelson is also the incumbent.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
No conspiracy; that’s the latest poll. Nelson is also the incumbent.
No conspiracy needed - rather always looking for accuracy.

Some point to a poll that says Trump is supported by 50% of African Americans. The true number is 12%, yet there is a poll that people point to.

All intelligence, human or computer, does better by using larger numbers of inputs and assigning weights to them. That's how odds work and why bookies and Las Vegas (Trump aside) rarely go broke. The House is the House.

The house says 2/3 for Nelson. If there are bets being taken those are the odds. That doesn't mean he will win....in fact, many candidates with small chances (on both sides) will win.

I think we can say that the Florida Gov and Senate could both be said to be "in play"....the political reports call it "lean Dem" right at the moment, but that can change.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...lorida/#deluxe

Last edited by craigiri; 11-03-2018 at 05:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida