Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2019, 11:01 AM

88 posts, read 74,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The Publix bakery is consistently great at producing tasteless breads, cookies and pies made with cheap artificial ingredients and colors.
You a WOMAN, right? ha ha, not MAN or what - most woman I know not focus on very petty shopping, average most people think Publix is kust good all around store! not perfect, perfect no exist on Planet, you no like Publix? go New Jersey or San Francisco and be happy, complain complain mean nothing, even on internet unless you just like complain just to punish Publix. Be happy. Everything in world not go YOUR way. You have mistake and flaw too, maybe many. Nothing all the time your perfect way. Perfect no exist even for people shop in finest world store in US, europe or asia. I can say I fine better fresh fish in China, but no matter, I live in US Florida, You no like Tampa or SW florida? fine to me, just move another place and get perfect bakery and bread ha ha - good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 12:08 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
****ing hell dude, take a chill pill. It's okay. Publix is not going to end the world.
Any time someone says ANYTHING positive about Publix (their opinion, mind you) you come out of the shadows and spew out hate-filled rants and insults towards the store and people who like it. Relax man.
Exactly.

However, it's not just the Publix conversations where this is an issue.

There is a difference between simply saying, "I don't care for X place" and chastising someone for liking it.

For example, for those outside of Orlando, 4Rivers Smokehouse and Tijuana Flats are pretty much local staples here for BBQ and (fast-casual) Mexican, respectively. It's perfectly okay for someone from one of the Texas population centers where these cuisines are on every street corner to say, "I'm not a fan because of X, Y, Z." But to tell an Orlando resident who really enjoys those places that they obviously don't know anything about BBQ or Mexican because they haven't sampled the best of the best from the Carolinas, Texas, Kansas City, etc. or eaten in 5 cities in Mexico is more about stroking the objector's ego than having a civil discussion about food.

By the way, 4Rivers' first out-of-state location is in Atlanta. Once I saw the news about that plan, I said to myself that if they make it in ATLANTA, then the Deep South and Texas transplants who think the restaurant's fans just don't know any better would have to shut up. Their lone Atlanta location currently has 4 out of 5 stars on Yelp with 153 reviews and 4.6 out of 5 stars on Google with 484 reviews. So, shu.....

I would say the same thing about Publix in North Carolina and Virginia with the presence of stores like Harris Teeter, Kroger (again....), Giant, Wegmans in some areas and other popular northeastern stores that can more easily expand there than coming to Florida.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:39 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
Quote:
The Publix bakery is consistently great at producing tasteless breads, cookies and pies made with cheap artificial ingredients and colors.
I'm tired of hearing this made-up story about other conventional store bakeries using more wholesome ingredients while Publix is in the Stone Age giving us science project food.

I'm a sucker for carrot cake so I'll use this example. I'm going to compare the Publix ingredients list to H-E-B because it's one of the frequently compared stores on these C-D Florida threads that I've actually visited and had the same bakery product. I've had the cake from both stores and Publix is the winner in taste for me. However, Whole Foods is my favorite of the grocery store carrot cakes I've had. Regardless, all three of them will send a diabetic's blood sugar through the roof regardless if all of the ingredients are organic, "natural" or conventional, because they all have an exorbitant amount of SUGAR. I'm talking approaching 100g at H-E-B and Whole Foods in one slice!

Those ingredients lists look about the same as far as things the average Joe can't define and/or pronounce. In fairness, Wegmans didn't have those items in its ingredients list, so that's a point for being correct about them. I can't get Whole Foods' list off their website. Kroger and Safeway are just like H-E-B and Publix.

Publix Carrot Cake Slice

Sugar,Soybean Oil,Carrotsbleached Enriched Flour(Wheat Flour,Niacinreduced Iron,Thiamine Mononitrate,Ribofla-Vin,Folic Acid)Cream Cheese(Pasteurizedmilk & Cream,Cheese Culture,Salt,Stabiliz-Ers{Carob Bean &/Or Xanthan &/Or Guargums})Palm Oil,Walnuts,Cornstarch,Egg Yolkegg White,Baking Soda,Salt,Cultured Skimmilk,Cinnamon,Skim Milk,Mono & Diglycer-Ides,Natural & Artificial Flavor,Soylecithin,Vitamin A Palmitate,Beta Carotene(Color),Water,Potassium Sorbate(Preser-Vative)Tocopherols,Ascorbic Acid,Citricacid.If Decorator Icing,May Contain Thefollowing Artificial Colors(Yellow 5 & 6red 3 & 40,Blue 1 & 2).

H-E-B Carrot Cake Slice

carrot cake (sugar, carrots, enriched wheat flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), walnuts, soybean oil, golden raisins, pineapple, water, corn syrup solids, coconut, modified corn starch, egg yolks, egg whites, emulsifier blend (propylene glycol monoesters, mono & diglycerides, soy lecithin, BHT (preservative), citric acid), skim milk, contains 2% or less of:, leavening (sodium aluminum phosphate, sodium bicarbonate), soy flour, salt, spices, xanthan gum), cream cheese icing (vegetable oil (palm oil, soybean oil, mono & diglycerides, polysorbate 60, TBHQ (preservative), citric acid (to protect flavor)), sugar, dextrose, cream cheese (milk(pasteurized cultured), cream(pasteurized cultured) (milk), salt, stabilizers (carob bean, &/OR, xanthan, &/OR, guar gum)), butter (cream(pasteurized) (milk), natural flavor), corn starch, water, contains 2% or less of:, yellow 5, yellow 6, potassium sorbate (preservative), sorbic acid (preservative), salt, lactic acid, citric acid, calcium disodium EDTA (to protect flavor), butter flavor (whey (milk), butter oil (milk), corn syrup solids, salt, guar gum, annatto (color), turmeric (color)), natural flavor), carrot icing (sugar, egg albumin (flavor enhancer), red 40, yellow 6, blue 1)

Old 08-02-2019, 02:44 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,847,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I'm tired of hearing this made-up story about other conventional store bakeries using more wholesome ingredients while Publix is in the Stone Age giving us science project food.

I'm a sucker for carrot cake so I'll use this example. I'm going to compare the Publix ingredients list to H-E-B because it's one of the frequently compared stores on these C-D Florida threads that I've actually visited and had the same bakery product. I've had the cake from both stores and Publix is the winner in taste for me. However, Whole Foods is my favorite of the grocery store carrot cakes I've had. Regardless, all three of them will send a diabetic's blood sugar through the roof regardless if all of the ingredients are organic, "natural" or conventional, because they all have an exorbitant amount of SUGAR. I'm talking approaching 100g at H-E-B and Whole Foods in one slice!

Those ingredients lists look about the same as far as things the average Joe can't define and/or pronounce. In fairness, Wegmans didn't have those items in its ingredients list, so that's a point for being correct about them. I can't get Whole Foods' list off their website. Kroger and Safeway are just like H-E-B and Publix.

Publix Carrot Cake Slice

Sugar,Soybean Oil,Carrotsbleached Enriched Flour(Wheat Flour,Niacinreduced Iron,Thiamine Mononitrate,Ribofla-Vin,Folic Acid)Cream Cheese(Pasteurizedmilk & Cream,Cheese Culture,Salt,Stabiliz-Ers{Carob Bean &/Or Xanthan &/Or Guargums})Palm Oil,Walnuts,Cornstarch,Egg Yolkegg White,Baking Soda,Salt,Cultured Skimmilk,Cinnamon,Skim Milk,Mono & Diglycer-Ides,Natural & Artificial Flavor,Soylecithin,Vitamin A Palmitate,Beta Carotene(Color),Water,Potassium Sorbate(Preser-Vative)Tocopherols,Ascorbic Acid,Citricacid.If Decorator Icing,May Contain Thefollowing Artificial Colors(Yellow 5 & 6red 3 & 40,Blue 1 & 2).

H-E-B Carrot Cake Slice

carrot cake (sugar, carrots, enriched wheat flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), walnuts, soybean oil, golden raisins, pineapple, water, corn syrup solids, coconut, modified corn starch, egg yolks, egg whites, emulsifier blend (propylene glycol monoesters, mono & diglycerides, soy lecithin, BHT (preservative), citric acid), skim milk, contains 2% or less of:, leavening (sodium aluminum phosphate, sodium bicarbonate), soy flour, salt, spices, xanthan gum), cream cheese icing (vegetable oil (palm oil, soybean oil, mono & diglycerides, polysorbate 60, TBHQ (preservative), citric acid (to protect flavor)), sugar, dextrose, cream cheese (milk(pasteurized cultured), cream(pasteurized cultured) (milk), salt, stabilizers (carob bean, &/OR, xanthan, &/OR, guar gum)), butter (cream(pasteurized) (milk), natural flavor), corn starch, water, contains 2% or less of:, yellow 5, yellow 6, potassium sorbate (preservative), sorbic acid (preservative), salt, lactic acid, citric acid, calcium disodium EDTA (to protect flavor), butter flavor (whey (milk), butter oil (milk), corn syrup solids, salt, guar gum, annatto (color), turmeric (color)), natural flavor), carrot icing (sugar, egg albumin (flavor enhancer), red 40, yellow 6, blue 1)

Many of the baked goods from Whole Foods and other grocery stores are made from REAL ingredients like flour, sugar, butter, vanilla, etc. You have to read each label carefully. Many traditional (stone age) grocers like Publix and others are still producing cancer cakes (as you so accurately described above).

Grocers who know that more and more consumers are studying labels are producing baked goods with clean labels. Publix is not one of them.

If you are a grocer and you are selling baked goods with an ingredient list like what you described, you are stuck in the stone age. Taking today's consumer into account, it is better for a grocer to sell a cake loaded with butter and sugar than it is to sell a cake loaded with poisons.

Grocers who do not adapt will learn this the hard way.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

However, it's not just the Publix conversations where this is an issue.

There is a difference between simply saying, "I don't care for X place" and chastising someone for liking it.

For example, for those outside of Orlando, 4Rivers Smokehouse and Tijuana Flats are pretty much local staples here for BBQ and (fast-casual) Mexican, respectively. It's perfectly okay for someone from one of the Texas population centers where these cuisines are on every street corner to say, "I'm not a fan because of X, Y, Z." But to tell an Orlando resident who really enjoys those places that they obviously don't know anything about BBQ or Mexican because they haven't sampled the best of the best from the Carolinas, Texas, Kansas City, etc. or eaten in 5 cities in Mexico is more about stroking the objector's ego than having a civil discussion about food.

By the way, 4Rivers' first out-of-state location is in Atlanta. Once I saw the news about that plan, I said to myself that if they make it in ATLANTA, then the Deep South and Texas transplants who think the restaurant's fans just don't know any better would have to shut up. Their lone Atlanta location currently has 4 out of 5 stars on Yelp with 153 reviews and 4.6 out of 5 stars on Google with 484 reviews. So, shu.....

I would say the same thing about Publix in North Carolina and Virginia with the presence of stores like Harris Teeter, Kroger (again....), Giant, Wegmans in some areas and other popular northeastern stores that can more easily expand there than coming to Florida.

If you don't like reading my opinions you are more than welcome to put me on your ignore list!

Old 08-02-2019, 10:28 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
I'm in the camp that finds Tijuana Flats to be generally tasty even though I know it's horribly inauthentic. (And as someone married to a person whose gut doesn't tolerate hot food, I love how their meat isn't cooked with peppers and they can just hold the jalapenos and it's no big deal to get something he can enjoy) I also love chicken tikka masala, more so than many far more authentic Indian dishes.

As someone who doesn't eat red meat, I'll be loyal to pretty much any BBQ place that actually seems to really care about how their poultry turns out rather than treating it as an unloved afterthought to their beef and pork offerings.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
I think you have your bakeries mixed up. Winn-Dixie's bakeries produce tasteless breads, cookies and pies made with cheap artificial ingredients and colors sold at high prices. Publix's bakeries bake fresh breads, cookies, pies and cakes and sell them at consistently low prices.

The more you know!

Old 08-03-2019, 05:15 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Many of the baked goods from Whole Foods and other grocery stores are made from REAL ingredients like flour, sugar, butter, vanilla, etc. You have to read each label carefully. Many traditional (stone age) grocers like Publix and others are still producing cancer cakes (as you so accurately described above).
I've bought pizza dough from both Publix and "Whole" Foods, and I see your point, but in the end I started making my own dough from flour ordered from specialized mills in mid-America, Africa, and lately South America, and I even cultivate my own yeast from said flours.

Results much better than both Publix and "Whole" Foods combined.

Either way, these constant Publix-bashing threads are self-serving for some rival interest.

There is no question of whether Publix is overrated or underrated, it is simply a ubiquitous, convenient grocery store that people frequent because they need food. There are alternatives, but not a plethora of them without more effort than most people are willing to exert.

So what? No one is starving to death because of that in Florida, or anywhere else in the United States, though we can justifiably discuss the quality of the food chain, and even do something about it (see above).

Now, these shill threads are somewhat entertaining, but no one is fooled by such a mundane non-issue regarding the market position of one particular grocery store chain in one particular state.

In fact, it's this theater of the absurd that makes them fun.

Thanks.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I think you have your bakeries mixed up. Winn-Dixie's bakeries produce tasteless breads, cookies and pies made with cheap artificial ingredients and colors sold at high prices. Publix's bakeries bake fresh breads, cookies, pies and cakes and sell them at consistently low prices.

The more you know!
I don't have any bakeries mixed up. Who is talking about Winn-Dixie? I have never mentioned anything about Winn-Dixie. I do not even consider Winn-Dixie to be a viable option for grocery shopping. I don't know what they have there and I don't care.

What I do know is that the Publix bakery produces crap products. I could care less at what price Publix sells a scone as long as the only ingredients on the label are butter, flour, water, salt. Not possible at Publix at any price.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:35 AM

17,166 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Hate is not part of this discussion.
This discussion is about whether Publix is overrated.
My opinion is every store has positives and negatives.
Publix has positives (clean stores, helpful employees, etc.). The bakery is NOT one of them.
You did the same thing when I mentioned the eggs I buy.

“You think those are good? Hur hur hur you don’t know what real eggs are.”

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida