Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2019, 08:10 PM

31 posts, read 112,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
*sigh...*

I don't think anyone here works at Publix, nor has any shares in Publix. The nonsense you've been spewing (and really, only you) is what lead some to believe you are a "paid shill."
You need to do a little research and stop floating fake news.

It's not "far-fetched" that legacy workers and shareholders rabidly defend Uncle George's operation as Publix stock is Private and it pays its workers a percentage of a share for every dollar they earn based on their current shareprices. They have to work there 4 years to get the shares released for life ("vested"). Publix has thousands of employees who own their stock.

They have part-time workers who own tons of shares, some working there for 20+ years and some working there only 4 years getting checks. The store managers at Publix are mostly all multi-millionaires because of their stock dividends and $180k+ bonus salary.

Publix stock has forward split multiple times, at one time I believe it split forward 8 to 1 and it has done 4 to 1 a couple times too. The workers who got in the 70's-90's saw multiple forward splits, big quarterly bonuses, extra Sunday pay, and easier pathways to managerial positions and higher paying jobs.

The fact is these individuals still see that paycheck come in the mail whether it's a $3000 check or an $90,000 check. I have a neighbor who is retired down the street who said he gets 6-figure paychecks and was a store manager, which is fantastic for him. There are guys who run the deli and rag ladies with no education who started in the 1970s or 1980s and are now multi-millionares. And that's great because that's the American Dream, but me as a consumer, I don't really want to pay for it everytime and continuously take the hit when I buy a couple items or hit the deli and I'm surrounded by Publix stores at work so I don't have much of a big choice.

Publix has heavily increased its prices, and know that you are paying for these massive stock dividends. This is why you see these gimmick organic drinks and candy bars for $2, eggs for $3-$4, and Subway-style subs with nicer bread for $9. Just know and be aware that Most of the extra money you spend at Publix goes to the stock revenue portfolio.

It's not surprising at all those individuals get on here and defend Publix til the death because if they went under so would their massive yearly paydays! But for us consumers who are monopolized, we are mostly funding it-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 08:17 PM
aax

710 posts, read 498,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
Better than the cashier on their phone checking you out at a snails pace.
I've never seen anyone anywhere do that. But I have seen a customer on a phone at checkout. Always a woman.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:21 PM

17,201 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UF_john View Post
You need to do a little research and stop floating fake news.

It's not "far-fetched" that legacy workers and shareholders rabidly defend Uncle George's operation as Publix stock is Private and it pays its workers a percentage of a share for every dollar they earn based on their current shareprices. They have to work there 4 years to get the shares released for life ("vested"). Publix has thousands of employees who own their stock.

They have part-time workers who own tons of shares, some working there for 20+ years and some working there only 4 years getting checks. The store managers at Publix are mostly all multi-millionaires because of their stock dividends and $180k+ bonus salary.

Publix stock has forward split multiple times, at one time I believe it split forward 8 to 1 and it has done 4 to 1 a couple times too. The workers who got in the 70's-90's saw multiple forward splits, big quarterly bonuses, extra Sunday pay, and easier pathways to managerial positions and higher paying jobs.

The fact is these individuals still see that paycheck come in the mail whether it's a $3000 check or an $90,000 check. I have a neighbor who is retired down the street who said he gets 6-figure paychecks and was a store manager, which is fantastic for him. There are guys who run the deli and rag ladies with no education who started in the 1970s or 1980s and are now multi-millionares. And that's great because that's the American Dream, but me as a consumer, I don't really want to pay for it everytime and continuously take the hit when I buy a couple items or hit the deli and I'm surrounded by Publix stores at work so I don't have much of a big choice.

Publix has heavily increased its prices, and know that you are paying for these massive stock dividends. This is why you see these gimmick organic drinks and candy bars for $2, eggs for $3-$4, and Subway-style subs with nicer bread for $9. Just know and be aware that Most of the extra money you spend at Publix goes to the stock revenue portfolio.

It's not surprising at all those individuals get on here and defend Publix til the death because if they went under so would their massive yearly paydays! But for us consumers who are monopolized, we are mostly funding it-
Dude... Just stop. You're reaching, and it's pathetic.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:25 PM

31 posts, read 112,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
*sigh...*
Then again, you also complained about the price of a Boar's Head sandwich, about how you can make it yourself at home for cheaper... Did you know, you can also make your own burger at home for cheaper than what people pay at Shake Shack? You can make multiple servings of spaghetti at home for a fraction of the cost of one plate at Carrabba's!
Oh we just love the ambiance of The Publix Deli! Don't you just love when there's a big line and you get to stare at the two people that look like they've been beat up and worked to death make your Sub? For the $10 you spend at the hip Pub Deli, you can go out somewhere and sit down and eat. Or you can spend $3 more dollars and go out to eat at a lot of restaurants for lunch. Heck, Cracker Barrel has a $6 meal and with the tip it's still cheaper than standing at line at the grocery store.

I'm stuck with it because I don't get a super long break most of the time and I have to grab food and go, so they got me-

Old 05-02-2019, 08:30 PM

603 posts, read 442,904 times
I just want to state that I don’t like Publix.... I LOVE PUBLIX!
They are a great store, a great business, great employers and important for me ..fantastic tenants !

Old 05-02-2019, 09:00 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The reason Kroger is opening a warehouse in Florida is because Kroger.com ships to Florida. Kroger's online grocery sales to Florida are through the roof. Hence the ramping up of the e-commerce supply chain in Florida.

Kroger wants Floridians to order their groceries from Kroger.com, not just from Amazon, Costco, etc. Kroger has a lot of private brands that are organic and premium at great prices that are better than national brands and other store brands. I myself am looking to order some cuban sandwich flavor potato chips from Kroger.com (something Publix should have, but doesn't).
Not everyone orders groceries to be delivered.

E-commerce is not enough to make sales. Kroger knows that. It is what it is.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:23 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Kroger needs to do more in Florida than an automated warehouse, its partnership with specialty organic/gourmet grocer Lucky's, and supermarket Harris Teeter's one store in Fernandina Beach.
That was the point of my link, perhaps they're setting the infrastructure to do so while further enabling their online business.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:51 PM

3,058 posts, read 2,035,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UF_john View Post
Oh we just love the ambiance of The Publix Deli! Don't you just love when there's a big line and you get to stare at the two people that look like they've been beat up and worked to death make your Sub? For the $10 you spend at the hip Pub Deli, you can go out somewhere and sit down and eat. Or you can spend $3 more dollars and go out to eat at a lot of restaurants for lunch. Heck, Cracker Barrel has a $6 meal and with the tip it's still cheaper than standing at line at the grocery store.

I'm stuck with it because I don't get a super long break most of the time and I have to grab food and go, so they got me-
Why does Publix understaff their deli? Yes, the people working there look tired and worked to death. The last 3 times I've been to the deli I had to wait 20 minutes, and 10 minutes and over 10 minutes. Why? Because there was only one person working and 4 people in line and it was during tourist season. Deli is a high profit item, they should have 3 people cutting and getting customers served. I am quitting ordering deli even though I really like Boars Head brand.

Also seem to be understaffed in other departments because signs on shelves for sale items don't ring up correctly at the register and then they tell me "that sale was last week".

I used to love Publix but lately there has been a management attitude change. I still like most of the cashiers but they don't look all that happy any more, not like 5 years ago. I would like to see some real competition from another chain and give me a second place to shop.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:33 PM

60 posts, read 241,453 times
If you don't like the line at Publix deli, then order online. Your order will be waiting for you in a refrigerated case at a time you determine. I've lived in NY, NJ, Ohio, Miami and now Central Florida. Publix is by far the best supermarket I've shopped in. The only store to beat them is Wegmans, but sadly, we don't have them in Central Florida..

Old 05-03-2019, 06:43 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmiami View Post
If you don't like the line at Publix deli, then order online. Your order will be waiting for you in a refrigerated case at a time you determine. I've lived in NY, NJ, Ohio, Miami and now Central Florida. Publix is by far the best supermarket I've shopped in. The only store to beat them is Wegmans, but sadly, we don't have them in Central Florida..
It doesn't matter if you order online or wait in line for 20 minutes: Publix subs are horrible. Made with tasteless bread baked with artificial ingredients and meats loaded with sodium and fat. Publix should realize that people are eating healthier these days and offer healthier options at the "deli".

Not to mention that ordering online just means giving someone at the store an opportunity to take your stuff. I've ordered online many times, only to arrive and find my stuff has been swiped from the refrigerated case. Totally unreliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida