Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 08:56 PM

31 posts, read 112,245 times

Advertisements

When you are in Florida, many people rave about how great Publix is, but it's really not that great. They charge you almost 40% more than what you'll pay in most other states' major grocery stores. Their "Buy One Get Ones" are not really deals because they charge you more for the first product than you would pay in most places. I understand people like the presentation, they point you to the products, and for seniors the fact that they push the groceries out to the car and are programmed by management to say "It's my Pleasure," but it's not worth the extra 40% you pay for your grocery bill for most people. They charge you $4.00 for a cup of "fresh" soup that's been sitting in a pan most of the day. The Publix brand drinks have skyrocketed from 79 cents a couple years ago to $1.19. The grab and go subs that used to be $3.50 are mostly all bread are now all over $5. The sides in the deli are sitting stale, and other than the chicken, you see the same mac and cheese sitting there all day. They want you to spend $10 in the deli for one meal when you can easily go out to eat somewhere other than the grocery store deli. Their workers look exhausted and overwhelmed. In Florida, they rave about the Publix Store Subs, which are like Subway with better bread and they charge you $9 for a "Boars Head Meat" sub that you can make on your own at home very easily. Nobody cares about the Publix subs outside of Florida (it's like a Florida cult thing to say you ate a Grocery Store sub). Publix has not taken off in other states like it has in Florida for these very same reasons. Besides the extra customer service that benefits seniors, most other states see that the products are very overpriced. They raise all the prices for their stockholders. Publix thrives in Florida because it has a Monopoly in many markets. It buys the best locations and gobbles up the marketshare in many areas of Florida. They make a boatload of money off vacationers, especially in places like Orlando with higher prices. I don't blame them for being smart and aggressive businessmen, but they really try to force people into their Florida stores when they need to get 1 or 2 things quickly by cornering the market. We are starting to see Trader Joe's and Aldi's come into the state, and Walmart also is a very popular competitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 09:03 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
I agree, especially in 2019 when there are so many other grocery stores that focus on quality ingredients such as Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Sprouts, Earthfare, Lucky's Market, etc. Publix while it's not awful, is no different than Albertsons or Safeway. The only reason I ever go there (which isn't often) is out of convenience because there is one practically every mile.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:29 PM

17,146 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Eh... They’re huge in Atlanta. And pretty much everywhere they’ve expanded. Not sure why the rant. Don’t like them? Shop elsewhere. You have options.

Their prices are fine. I don’t find them to be any higher overall than non-bulk stores.

Publix excels at what it sets out to be: being a great, standard, no frills grocery store. It’s not competing against Aldi, nor is it competing against Whole Foods. It competes against Safeway, and IMO, is a substantially better store in general.

By the way, Walmart is not a Publix competitor.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:39 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I agree, especially in 2019 when there are so many other grocery stores that focus on quality ingredients such as Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Sprouts, Earthfare, Lucky's Market, etc. Publix while it's not awful, is no different than Albertsons or Safeway. The only reason I ever go there (which isn't often) is out of convenience because there is one practically every mile.
Wfm is totally overrated but I do like the prime discounts. Publix still wins on price for organics and most things compared to wf, and Walmart beats both when it comes to price, although quality of produce can be suspect at times.

I was very underwhelmed with luckys, esp in terms of price for what you get

Old 05-01-2019, 05:16 AM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times
The only thing that can/will change Publix is via direct market-share competition from another conventional grocer moving in from out of state. For awhile there were whispers of Kroger being that company but that has seemingly fizzled. The only other besides Kroger that could match Publix head to head is Wegmans which offers some hope of expansion in the future given they're opening in NC this year, where Publix has already begun to establish itself. If Wegmans can win that battle or match up evenly in NC, I would bet they would take a long/hard look at Florida for future expansion.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:16 AM

91 posts, read 167,166 times
Publix is a nostalgic Florida thing for most. If you were brought up in Florida , your youth was spent in Publix shopping with your Mom, getting the free cookie at the deli, watching them bag your groceries and asking if you wanted them to take it out to the car. Maybe it was your first job. I don't know why a grocery store brings up such fond memories of youth and growing up, but it does, and Publix does an awesome job at it. I love Publix, not for it being a company that sells food and such, but for the memories I have growing up with it. That's why people are so devoted to it, because its been apart of your life since you were born. Plus, there is nothing better than a PubSub.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:22 AM

9,354 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Another Publix bashing thread?

Publix is conveniently located, well stocked (including organics), clean, expensive, but on some items competitive. There are alternatives in both directions, less expensive and more expensive, more or less well stocked.

What is the big controversy, except paid shrills masquerading as posters?

Old 05-01-2019, 06:10 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The only thing that can/will change Publix is via direct market-share competition from another conventional grocer moving in from out of state. For awhile there were whispers of Kroger being that company but that has seemingly fizzled. The only other besides Kroger that could match Publix head to head is Wegmans which offers some hope of expansion in the future given they're opening in NC this year, where Publix has already begun to establish itself. If Wegmans can win that battle or match up evenly in NC, I would bet they would take a long/hard look at Florida for future expansion.
Wegmans is very nice, but their prices make Publix look like a bargain in comparison

Old 05-01-2019, 06:13 AM

17,146 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Wegmans is very nice, but their prices make Publix look like a bargain in comparison
Which is why I keep saying, I really don't see the issue with Publix prices. On occasion, some of their produce prices can be over the top (tomatoes, I'm looking at you!) but for the most part, they're fine, with the only stores around offering better prices being Walmart, Save-a-Lot and ALDI -- When it comes to those, you get what you pay for. ALDI being slightly ahead of Walmart and Save-a-Lot in terms of quality, but still leaving LOTS to be desired.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:05 AM

491 posts, read 471,774 times
It's a grocery store that offers above average customer service. There's value in that.

In terms of healthy options from a grab and go standpoint- it's stuck in the 80's and probably always will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida