Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 09:00 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,849,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah Publix really isnt that great. Been to scores of better grocery stores. It does win with it's weirdly over the top customer service. Not to sound like an ass, but in the Northeast we like quality of goods better.. dont know whats up with Florida's hard on for top tier CUSTOMER SERVICE. In the real world, we grab and go.
People in Florida love for Publix cashiers to ask them about the weather, and (apparently from other posts here) about tampons, sex, death, and other disturbing topics. Not me. Here's my money, give me my groceries, get out of my way, bye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
None of the Kroger stores match the 20% gas discount you get with the regular Publix "$50 for $40' gas card promotion. I take advantage of that one when it shows up about every other week not only for the discount but also because so many darn gas stations down here have problems with card skimmers, and I'd rather risk losing a $7.39 balance on a prepaid gas card than have to get a credit card reissued yet again.

I prefer Publix because they meet my needs well- they carry the right mix of products my household wants at reasonable prices. We don't eat red meat and for poultry find that the Springer Mountain Farms brand (currently BOGO at the normal price per pound here) is good enough for our uses. We go through a ton of Pomi tomato sauce (no salt-good flavor) and it's actually cheaper there than the other places we look. The stores are clean and inventory is monitored to make sure it's within sell by dates. I think our grocery spending breaks down to about 80% Publix, 15% Whole Foods, 5% Target. Would probably throw moderate amounts of money to Sprouts or Lucky's if they were within 10 miles of my house.

We shopped at Kroger when we lived in Tennessee, and I found them to be mediocre to depressing with slightly above average prices for the cart of goods we regularly consume.

There was a point in the late 80s/early 90s when Meijer's was considering a southern expansion starting with Atlanta, and I would have loved to see them eventually make it to Florida. But corporate decided they didn't want to go into debt and finance that possible expansion so they missed their chance to get a foothold in the region before Walmart took over all things discount

LOVE Meijer!

Old 05-02-2019, 09:07 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The reason Kroger is opening a warehouse in Florida is because Kroger.com ships to Florida. Kroger's online grocery sales to Florida are through the roof. Hence the ramping up of the e-commerce supply chain in Florida.

Kroger wants Floridians to order their groceries from Kroger.com, not just from Amazon, Costco, etc. Kroger has a lot of private brands that are organic and premium at great prices that are better than national brands and other store brands. I myself am looking to order some cuban sandwich flavor potato chips from Kroger.com (something Publix should have, but doesn't).
Automation warehouses have limitations.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:09 AM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
I think it's safe to say that most of the supposed "shills" against Publix are just your average, garden-variety trolls who enjoy stirring up C-D forums by attacking whatever brand leader has the largest following. Why else would the Publix-bashing threads keep popping up every month or so on here, while no one seems to create Winn-Dixie bashing threads, or less-popular chains like Whole Foods, Lucky's, Fresh Market, etc.? Because they know the Publix bashing threads will stir up more angry responses--at least in this forum.

So don't attribute to "paid shills" what is likely just good old-fashioned trolling from 'keyboard commandos'. It's been at least two months, so we were overdue for yet another variation on "I hate Publix and so should you" as a topic.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:22 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
The reason Kroger is opening a warehouse in Florida is because Kroger.com ships to Florida. Kroger's online grocery sales to Florida are through the roof. Hence the ramping up of the e-commerce supply chain in Florida.

Kroger wants Floridians to order their groceries from Kroger.com, not just from Amazon, Costco, etc. Kroger has a lot of private brands that are organic and premium at great prices that are better than national brands and other store brands. I myself am looking to order some cuban sandwich flavor potato chips from Kroger.com (something Publix should have, but doesn't).
LOL!!! Come on! Why "should" they have this? What's the flavor of a cuban sandwich anyway? Pork and mustard?

Old 05-02-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I think it's safe to say that most of the supposed "shills" against Publix are just your average, garden-variety trolls who enjoy stirring up C-D forums by attacking whatever brand leader has the largest following. Why else would the Publix-bashing threads keep popping up every month or so on here, while no one seems to create Winn-Dixie bashing threads, or less-popular chains like Whole Foods, Lucky's, Fresh Market, etc.? Because they know the Publix bashing threads will stir up more angry responses--at least in this forum.

So don't attribute to "paid shills" what is likely just good old-fashioned trolling from 'keyboard commandos'. It's been at least two months, so we were overdue for yet another variation on "I hate Publix and so should you" as a topic.

If every post on City Data Forum that elicits “angry responses” is “”trolling”, then 98% of the threads here are troll threads.

So one has to wonder why you are wasting your time replying to troll threads. Unless, of course, you are a “keyboard commando” yourself.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
LOL!!! Come on! Why "should" they have this? What's the flavor of a cuban sandwich anyway? Pork and mustard?
Well obviously FLORIDA has the largest Cuban population, a large population of people eating Cuban sandwiches, and Publix is the largest grocery store I n Florida. I dunno. SEEMS to me like the chips might sell well in Publix.
But hey! I’m no expert in salty snack sales!

Old 05-02-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
If every post on City Data Forum that elicits “angry responses” is “”trolling”, then 98% of the threads here are troll threads.

So one has to wonder why you are wasting your time replying to troll threads. Unless, of course, you are a “keyboard commando” yourself.
I don't think anyone is referring to you. Rather, the OP, whose rant was reminiscent of Mel Gibson's drunken escapades, prompted that post. Complaining about a Boar's Head sandwich costing more than the price of making it oneself at home (and even that is debatable) is about as ridiculous as it gets. Or making up nonsense like "they raise their prices to create a false illusion of BOGO" and whatnot. Disliking a place is one thing, but ranting about foolishness and making up **** is entirely different, and is the mark of a troll. And judging by the history of that poster's posts, I'm beginning to think it's either a joke account or a teenager behind the keyboard.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Well obviously FLORIDA has the largest Cuban population, a large population of people eating Cuban sandwiches, and Publix is the largest grocery store I n Florida. I dunno. SEEMS to me like the chips might sell well in Publix.
But hey! I’m no expert in salty snack sales!
*shrug*
I guess Texans and Californians should be asking for refried bean flavored chips, or tripas flavored, or whatever else is popular among Mexicans over there.
Just seems like a very random item to ask for.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
*shrug*
I guess Texans and Californians should be asking for refried bean flavored chips, or tripas flavored, or whatever else is popular among Mexicans over there.
Just seems like a very random item to ask for.
Random? Just as “random” as all the other hundreds of groceries with Cuban flavors at Publix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida