Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 06:25 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yes and no. It's an apples to apples comparison in that they sell the many of the same items, but ends there in terms of store footprint and more importantly demographics. Publix is a traditional supermarket and within it's home market of Florida (the 3rd most populated state) has just Winn-Dixie as a category competitor.

I think if you asked Publix executives who their competitors are, they would most certainly include Walmart in that list. Walmart is the NUMBER ONE RETAILER OF GROCERIES IN THE USA. Walmart sells more groceries in the USA than Kroger, than anyone else, including Publix.

Not only will Publix put Walmart on that list of competitors, but they will also include any retailer that sells groceries. Which these days runs the gamut from Walmart to drugstores to Wawa to Blue Apron to some small butcher out of Wyoming on the Internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Publix is not overrated at all. They stick to doing the basics well and do it at a very consistent level across the board.

Overrated is thinking since a grocery store offers gimmicks or gas it's better than one that makes shopping a pleasure.

To be honest I get my staples at Aldi because of price and quality for the price. We supplement items at Publix or Winn-Dixie that Aldi doesn't carry. On the rare occasion we want something really different off to Whole Foods, Lucky's, or TJ's we go.

Like you there are hundreds of thousands in Florida who have abandoned Publix in favor of Aldi. Just one of the many reasons comparable sales are decelerating at Publix.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:35 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UF_john View Post
The people who sit on here and defend Publix on everything are mostly Shareholders who worked there many years, and receive massive dividend checks (nothing wrong with that), and many live off their divie checks, so they will defend Publix to the grave, as for many of these types, their livelihood depends on it and they don't see things objectively. If you say anything critical about their Publix, you are labeled a "shill" or a "paid shill."

For prices, Trader Joes, Walmart, and Kroger have them beat at the majority of products. If you want higher end, Earthfare and Whole Foods has better quality ingredients. The Publix "BOGOs" are raised up in price, so it's really like a "BUY ONE, get the second for half off" when you weigh it all out.

Publix is just like a HIGHER priced generic grocery store, and that I think is the problem most people have with it. In Florida they've cornered a lot of markets, and when they knocked off SweetBay the prices went up AGAIN! Publix also jacks up prices in specific locations when they know the next competitor is 5 miles away and you have to drive by 2 Publix stores to get there. I do have to say, I like Publix ice cream- it's original and they make it in their dairy plant in Lakeland-
*sigh...*

I don't think anyone here works at Publix, nor has any shares in Publix. The nonsense you've been spewing (and really, only you) is what lead some to believe you are a "paid shill."

Walmart has EVERYONE beat in terms of prices for the most part. The quality of their produce is also very poor.

The BOGOs are not raised in price. Where are you getting this? Where can you buy 2 25oz Bertolli Olive Oil bottles for ~$11?? Are you saying that they RAISED the price of the product in order to mask them off as being BOGO?

Then again, you also complained about the price of a Boar's Head sandwich, about how you can make it yourself at home for cheaper... Did you know, you can also make your own burger at home for cheaper than what people pay at Shake Shack? You can make multiple servings of spaghetti at home for a fraction of the cost of one plate at Carrabba's!

Old 05-02-2019, 06:40 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Like you there are hundreds of thousands in Florida who have abandoned Publix in favor of Aldi. Just one of the many reasons comparable sales are decelerating at Publix.
Aldi's selection is FAR too limited on most items for me to be able to make it a regular stop. Their canned goods are fine in terms of beans, sardines, and so on, as are generic spices like black pepper and salt. But last I went there, they only carried one type and brand of rice. Their chicken selection was VERY small, and all of it was pre-packaged (I don't think they have a butcher back there.) They barely had any hot peppers at ALL. There were too many things missing there for my liking. I can't make it a one-stop shop.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
*sigh...*

I don't think anyone here works at Publix, nor has any shares in Publix. The nonsense you've been spewing (and really, only you) is what lead some to believe you are a "paid shill."

Walmart has EVERYONE beat in terms of prices for the most part. The quality of their produce is also very poor.

The BOGOs are not raised in price. Where are you getting this? Where can you buy 2 25oz Bertolli Olive Oil bottles for ~$11?? Are you saying that they RAISED the price of the product in order to mask them off as being BOGO?

Then again, you also complained about the price of a Boar's Head sandwich, about how you can make it yourself at home for cheaper... Did you know, you can also make your own burger at home for cheaper than what people pay at Shake Shack? You can make multiple servings of spaghetti at home for a fraction of the cost of one plate at Carrabba's!

Not everyone who BASHES Publix is paid or has a financial interest in doing so.

Not everyone who DEFENDS Publix is paid or has a financial interest in doing so.

Grocery stores and many other businesses (Facebook, Amazon, Google, etc.) for that matter
elicit STRONG OPINIONS from consumers, which lead to strong opinions on City Data Forum.

The End.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:19 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Yes and no. It's an apples to apples comparison in that they sell the many of the same items, but ends there in terms of store footprint and more importantly demographics. Publix is a traditional supermarket and within it's home market of Florida (the 3rd most populated state) has just Winn-Dixie as a category competitor.
Walmart competes against Publix through Walmart Supercenter hypermarkets and Walmart Neighborhood Market supermarkets. Both Walmart Supercenter and Walmart Neighborhood Market can be hit or miss dependent on store locations you shop at.

Winn-Dixie, still considered a competitor, is past the point of competing. It will have a quantity of stores receiving updates. It is beyond repair to save.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:21 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
More on Kroger, who apparently has not given up on expansion into Florida. They own a share of Lucky's and this e-commerce partnership with Ocado presents an instant foothold for store distribution in a centralized location. https://www.supermarketnews.com/onli...ated-warehouse
Kroger needs to do more in Florida than an automated warehouse, its partnership with specialty organic/gourmet grocer Lucky's, and supermarket Harris Teeter's one store in Fernandina Beach.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:42 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Yeah Publix really isnt that great. Been to scores of better grocery stores. It does win with it's weirdly over the top customer service. Not to sound like an ass, but in the Northeast we like quality of goods better.. dont know whats up with Florida's hard on for top tier CUSTOMER SERVICE. In the real world, we grab and go.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:44 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post

The nice thing about Kroger (and other grocery store gas stations) is not convenience, but PRICE. Kroger and other grocery store gas stations (and Sam's and Costco, etc.) are usually cheaper than the corner gas station and you frequently get discounts from your grocery receipt. Because Publix has no gas stations, Floridians often have to pay higher prices for gas (unless there's a Costco or BJ's or Sams nearby).
None of the Kroger stores match the 20% gas discount you get with the regular Publix "$50 for $40' gas card promotion. I take advantage of that one when it shows up about every other week not only for the discount but also because so many darn gas stations down here have problems with card skimmers, and I'd rather risk losing a $7.39 balance on a prepaid gas card than have to get a credit card reissued yet again.

I prefer Publix because they meet my needs well- they carry the right mix of products my household wants at reasonable prices. We don't eat red meat and for poultry find that the Springer Mountain Farms brand (currently BOGO at the normal price per pound here) is good enough for our uses. We go through a ton of Pomi tomato sauce (no salt-good flavor) and it's actually cheaper there than the other places we look. The stores are clean and inventory is monitored to make sure it's within sell by dates. I think our grocery spending breaks down to about 80% Publix, 15% Whole Foods, 5% Target. Would probably throw moderate amounts of money to Sprouts or Lucky's if they were within 10 miles of my house.

We shopped at Kroger when we lived in Tennessee, and I found them to be mediocre to depressing with slightly above average prices for the cart of goods we regularly consume.

There was a point in the late 80s/early 90s when Meijer's was considering a southern expansion starting with Atlanta, and I would have loved to see them eventually make it to Florida. But corporate decided they didn't want to go into debt and finance that possible expansion so they missed their chance to get a foothold in the region before Walmart took over all things discount

Old 05-02-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Kroger needs to do more in Florida than an automated warehouse, its partnership with specialty organic/gourmet grocer Lucky's, and supermarket Harris Teeter's one store in Fernandina Beach.

The reason Kroger is opening a warehouse in Florida is because Kroger.com ships to Florida. Kroger's online grocery sales to Florida are through the roof. Hence the ramping up of the e-commerce supply chain in Florida.

Kroger wants Floridians to order their groceries from Kroger.com, not just from Amazon, Costco, etc. Kroger has a lot of private brands that are organic and premium at great prices that are better than national brands and other store brands. I myself am looking to order some cuban sandwich flavor potato chips from Kroger.com (something Publix should have, but doesn't).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida