Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 07:44 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Another Publix bashing thread?

Publix is conveniently located, well stocked (including organics), clean, expensive, but on some items competitive. There are alternatives in both directions, less expensive and more expensive, more or less well stocked.

What is the big controversy, except paid shrills masquerading as posters?
Seriously. I think you nailed it, just paid shills masquerading, coming here to bash. Guess what, it doesn't change anyone's mind, some like it some don't, if you don't, there are tons of other options for shopping. It is STILL my favorite when I take everything into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 07:53 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
It's a grocery store that offers above average customer service. There's value in that.

In terms of healthy options from a grab and go standpoint- it's stuck in the 80's and probably always will be.
There is a reason why food lion, Albertsons,, goodings etc fell by the way side over the decades...

Old 05-01-2019, 10:12 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,431,354 times
Mix and match trip Publix / Costco. WF and Aldi is not our thing.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:20 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Not a big fan of Publix either. The contrived "So how is your day going?" standard question from every single employee there is borderline nauseating. I only shop there out of convenience, I have had a number of very bad experiences there in the past year....just a few off the top of my head:

1. Mentally challenged gentleman hired as a bagger. Great! Good for them until he openly sneezed onto all of my already paid for food with no apologies by the cashier or offers to help exchange everything.
2. Along those same lines, a senior citizen bagger blew his nose and then immediately began to handle my food while bagging up groceries.
3. Probably 1 out of every 5 times when I pre-order food online they get the order wrong.
4. Order a particular brand of lunch meat at the deli. Upon arrival is was, of course, the wrong kind. Very hostile woman employee refused to give me the right kind.
5. Came in when they first opened, ordered about $40 worth of food and requested $40 cash back. Older female cashier grumbles on and on about how I'm taking all "her" cash so early in the a.m.

I could go on. But yeah, not a fan.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:36 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
There is a reason there is so much Publix bashing. And it's not because anyone is a "paid shrill."

It's because people are constantly moving to Florida from other places. And all their lives, whether they lived in Idaho, Vermont or Oregon or New York, they heard all these great things about Publix. "Oh that fabulous grocery store in Florida everyone raves about".

And then, when they move to Florida (everyone eventually does) and shop at Publix, they are underwhelmed. Because Publix is just an assortment of mostly low quality (and highly overpriced) foods in a boring 50,000 square foot box. There is nothing remotely impressive or upscale or mind-blowing about Publix. You could slap the name Giant Food, or ShopRite, or Smith's, or any other grocery store brand on it.

It's just a cleaner version of a Giant Eagle, Albertsons, Vons, or any of the thousands of other boring grocery stores in America.

Now Wegmans, for example, (and that's just one example) at least wows shoppers with restaurants and gourmet meats, produce and cheeses. Wegmans even offers delivery of their restaurant food. If you are craving Chinese restaurant food, you can get it delivered from Wegmans and pay less than what the local Chinese takeout place charges.

Last edited by sinatras; 05-01-2019 at 10:45 AM..

Old 05-01-2019, 10:51 AM

94 posts, read 111,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Seriously. I think you nailed it, just paid shills masquerading, coming here to bash. Guess what, it doesn't change anyone's mind, some like it some don't, if you don't, there are tons of other options for shopping. It is STILL my favorite when I take everything into consideration.

Yep, I agree with you. The paid posters are omnipresent esp on city-Data....I know personally that Publix Mgmt is aware of these unfounded attacks.

Publix does a far above average job. Publix is doing well even in places like Atlanta , the stomping ground for companies like Kroger. It's expanding all over hot markets like Nashville, and all around the Carolinas.

Of course Florida in Publix Country, what do you expect?? it's a homegrown company.

I tell every s c h umck you land here from other states such as NY NJ Boston etc and esp places now like from CA, to buzz off....if you don't like what Florida has to offer, then stay put in the miserable environment from whence you came.

Publix isn't going anywhere soon. I know around my suburban area, Publix is head and shoulders above most...and that certainly includes Amazon Whole Foods, Aldi, Trader Joes and certainly junk places like Winn Dixie and WallyWorld.

To each his own, but the constant attempting to trash Publix in their own backyard is a JOKE.

Get over it shills.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:19 AM

491 posts, read 472,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
There is a reason there is so much Publix bashing. And it's not because anyone is a "paid shrill."

It's because people are constantly moving to Florida from other places. And all their lives, whether they lived in Idaho, Vermont or Oregon or New York, they heard all these great things about Publix. "Oh that fabulous grocery store in Florida everyone raves about".

And then, when they move to Florida (everyone eventually does) and shop at Publix, they are underwhelmed. Because Publix is just an assortment of mostly low quality (and highly overpriced) foods in a boring 50,000 square foot box. There is nothing remotely impressive or upscale or mind-blowing about Publix. You could slap the name Giant Food, or ShopRite, or Smith's, or any other grocery store brand on it.

It's just a cleaner version of a Giant Eagle, Albertsons, Vons, or any of the thousands of other boring grocery stores in America.

Now Wegmans, for example, (and that's just one example) at least wows shoppers with restaurants and gourmet meats, produce and cheeses. Wegmans even offers delivery of their restaurant food. If you are craving Chinese restaurant food, you can get it delivered from Wegmans and pay less than what the local Chinese takeout place charges.
Is Publix trying to be Wegmans? I really dont see it. Publix's deal is to create a customer friendly environment in an environment that's generally not customer centric. It's never going to be a healthy, unique/creative hot item/grab and go spot. I wish it were but it's just not going to happen.

The company made more money than Nike last year. They're doing something right. And I do agree I wish there were more improvements as it relates to the more diverse shopper, but I dont know if the demand is there.

Last edited by Trip Mcnealy; 05-01-2019 at 11:29 AM..

Old 05-01-2019, 11:27 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Any store that still sells products with artificial colors and flavors, antibiotic meats etc can never be considered great for me anyways.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:41 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Any store that still sells products with artificial colors and flavors, antibiotic meats etc can never be considered great for me anyways.
I'm still trying to figure out why Publix doesn't have organic pork.
Or gas stations.
Like so many other grocers in America.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:50 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I mean... I shop there, but I don't buy things that have those in them. It's pretty easy to avoid, regardless of where you shop.

I don't think it's GREAT, but then really, aside from MAYBE Freshfield Farms, I've yet to find a grocery store that I'd consider "great" in Florida, and elsewhere. I have to shop at a variety of places to get the things I need.
Where I came from, the best places to buy food were at the large open-air markets and market halls we had -- not the grocery store. These things aren't very popular here for whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida