Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2021, 07:01 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times

Advertisements

In not interested in a Desantis, mask mandate, whatever debate. I'm just curious, how has Florida been looking lately? I haven't kept up with FL virus news, but it has seemed to have quieted down after a heated August.

How are cases looking now, especially compared this time a month ago? Headed in a good direction? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 07:37 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,485,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
In not interested in a Desantis, mask mandate, whatever debate. I'm just curious, how has Florida been looking lately? I haven't kept up with FL virus news, but it has seemed to have quieted down after a heated August.

How are cases looking now, especially compared this time a month ago? Headed in a good direction? Thanks.
I post the daily numbers. I don't have fancy graphs but you can look at my posts for the numbers here. I hope they give you the information you want.

Last edited by SanyBelle; 09-09-2021 at 08:18 AM..

Old 09-09-2021, 08:16 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,301,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post

Based on the numbers that SanyBelle is reporting lately, it appears that both case numbers and hospitalizations have peaked and begun to decline.

My impression is that at least some of the mid-summer surge was attributable to CDC's ill-advised change in guidance back in May and people flocking to Florida's tourist hotspots as well as summer-time partying.

With school back in session countrywide and the onset of fall/winter, I would not be surprised to read about increasing numbers of cases and hospitalizations in the north, while they taper off in the south.

A similar scenario played out last year.

Of course now there are more variables involved, so anything is possible.

All the best!

Last edited by bale002; 09-09-2021 at 08:30 AM..

Old 09-09-2021, 07:01 PM

Default Wednesday 9/8/2021 Update

Numbers from Worldometers.info. Hospital numbers from Florida Hospital Association.

Date..........Total Cases.....Total Deaths....New Cases......New Deaths...Today's Tests
Tue 9/7........ 3,410,564........46,971
Wed 9/8....... 3,424,490........48,264..........13,926........... 1,293**........115,112

Wed 9/8 Hospitalizations 13,100 -192

** this large number is probably because numbers went unreported for a few days this week

Old 09-10-2021, 09:34 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
My county has decided that they way to bring down official covid numbers was to make it hard and expensive to test within the county, not have a way of noting covid tests on county residents performed outside the county and require extensive paperwork if you wanted to report a positive test from a home kit-

https://weartv.com/news/local/okaloo...ovid-reporting

Quote:
"They're not up to date. They're not true numbers from what we're seeing. We have schools that are saying that there are zero cases for staff and you have five staff that are currently out, that are currently positive," Appleberg said.
Quote:
Chambers says they have reported a local high school having two cases but knew that there were over 10 faculty alone that were testing positive. Only because that is what the health department provided them for that day.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:21 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
My county has decided that they way to bring down official covid numbers was to make it hard and expensive to test within the county, not have a way of noting covid tests on county residents performed outside the county and require extensive paperwork if you wanted to report a positive test from a home kit-

https://weartv.com/news/local/okaloo...ovid-reporting
This story raises the concern that county health board data suppression is a concern throughout Florida. One question is whether these reporting problems are the result of procedures mandated by the DeSantis administration in an attempt to sugar coat the disastrous public health response to the epidemic in Florida.

Inadequate testing capacity, reported in the article, certainly is another problem.

BTW, in Ohio, public libraries provide free COVID at-home rapid test kits (kits made by Abbott at my local library). I don't know how persons who test positive report the results. Does Florida offer free at-home test kits in some manner? The above linked article discusses not only the unavailability of local testing, but the cost of tests.

Before I was aware of the public library free test distribution program, I bought the same Abbott at-home test kit from Wal-Mart for about $20, just in case. The thought process was that if I did test positive, I could push to get an antibody infusion. My concern is that the Delta variant symptoms mimic those of the common cold for those already vaccinated, so it's not a bad idea to test yourself whenever possible. The antibody infusion only is effective when administered when symptoms first appear, so it's a smart idea to know if you have a cold virus or a COVID virus infection. Additionally, it appears that the effectiveness of vaccinations, absent a third dose, begin to wane significantly after 5 months.

My understanding is that Delta symptoms often do not include loss of taste or smell, especially in those who are vaccinated.

<<Another question focuses on how Delta affects the body. There have been reports of symptoms that are different than those associated with the original coronavirus strain, Dr. Yildirim says. “It seems like cough and loss of smell are less common. And headache, sore throat, runny nose, and fever are present based on the most recent surveys in the U.K., where more than 90% of the cases are due to the Delta strain,” she says.>>

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/5-...-variant-covid

https://health.ucdavis.edu/coronavir...a-variant.html

Even if not hospitalized, those with asymptomatic or mild infections still can develop long COVID sequelae months later. This fact is underemphasized and underreported both by government officials and the media.

So testing is very important to both individuals and to public officials, such as school boards, attempting to suppress transmission.

Los Angeles schools have mandatory weekly COVID tests for ALL students and staff members, even if vaccinated.

<<The district will require weekly Covid testing for students and employees, regardless of their vaccination status. All district employees must be fully vaccinated by October 15. Kids under 12 are not eligible for vaccination.>>

https://deadline.com/2021/08/los-ang...ng-1234816471/

I've read elsewhere that the program is paid for by federal testing funds allocated to every state. I wonder how Florida spends their allocation.

California also has a COVID testing task force.

https://testing.covid19.ca.gov/school-testing/

It's clear that the focus in CA is reducing transmission as much as possible.

Los Angeles also has mandated mandatory vaccines for all students 12 and older eligible for vaccination.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/los-ang...ausd-12-older/

Last edited by WRnative; 09-10-2021 at 10:50 AM..

Old 09-10-2021, 04:04 PM

beachmouse and WRnative, I'm in Miami and testing is easy here. I've gotten tested 4 times in the past year, 3 because I was going to see my sister who had chemo/radiation and I feel she is more susceptible to catching covid and 1 time recently because I was having a medical test and they required a recent PCR test.

I'm not following the news/numbers from Miami-Dade County so I don't know how accurately results are being reported.

Miami-Dade County Testing Sites

Old 09-10-2021, 04:10 PM

Default 9/10/21 news article

2,448 Floridians died from COVID in a week — a new pandemic record

Old 09-10-2021, 09:27 PM

Default Thursday 9/9/2021 Update

Numbers from Worldometers.info. Hospital numbers from Florida Hospital Association.

Date..........Total Cases.....Total Deaths....New Cases......New Deaths...Today's Tests
Wed 9/8....... 3,424,490........48,264
Thur 9/9...... 3,436,778.........48,772..........12,288.......... .. 508............84,558

Thur 9/9 Hospitalizations 12,735 -365

Old 09-11-2021, 05:55 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,622,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post

Wed 9/8....... 3,424,490........48,264
Thur 9/9...... 3,436,778.........48,772..........12,288.......... .. 508............84,558

Thur 9/9 Hospitalizations 12,735 -365
Thanks for supplying the info Sany. Looks like hospitalizations are down 4,000 in 2 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida