Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2021, 08:14 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times

Advertisements

^ Thanks for all that information. To be honest I dont understand much of it because like I said, this has dragged on so long I dont know if "2000 hospitalizations" is a good or bad thing at this point. But you answered my biggest question, thanks.

Good to see not only cases going down, but hospitalizations too. I'm simply asking because my work has still delayed allowing everyone back and I'm trying to get an idea of when theyre going to come back to the reopen discussion, since theyre "following the numbers." Hopefully it stays in decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 08:30 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,485,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
^ Thanks for all that information. To be honest I dont understand much of it because like I said, this has dragged on so long I dont know if "2000 hospitalizations" is a good or bad thing at this point. But you answered my biggest question, thanks.

Good to see not only cases going down, but hospitalizations too. I'm simply asking because my work has still delayed allowing everyone back and I'm trying to get an idea of when theyre going to come back to the reopen discussion, since theyre "following the numbers." Hopefully it stays in decline.
I don't understand it all either, and the whole thing has been bungled by all authorities and the media, it's kept us all confused, I try to think good of others and hope that wasn't the intent... but I don't really know...

I started to keep the numbers myself and have been doing this since June 2020 only because of something Corrie said back then which was something to the effect of "we can't really trust the numbers because they keep changing on a daily basis and they are coming from different sources". I've kept the numbers myself from only one source --> WOM and added hospitalization numbers in the past couple of months from FHA (I stated keeping FHA numbers on 7/25/21).

Old 09-14-2021, 03:22 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Default Does DeSantis believe he is king of Florida?

It's amazing how so-called "conservatives" have abandoned the concept of local control or home rule, unless they are fighting the federal government, or the issue involves such hot topics as gun control, mask mandates or vaccine mandates. Florida's COVID policies have been such an abomination since June 1, 2020, but more especially since July 1, 2021, a pragmatic governor would change course rather than take steps to keep the epidemic alive and threatening both public health and the state's health care system.

<<DeSantis, who has staked his 2024 presidential aspirations on pushing back against medical experts amid a pandemic that has wracked his state, vowed to go after local governments that require employees to be vaccinated, calling the Biden administration's plan to require large businesses to require employee vaccinations "very intrusive" and "illegal." DeSantis said that any local governments that require employees to get shots would face fines under a law passed by the state legislature banning so-called vaccine passports, though it did not ban local governments from requiring employees to be vaccinated.>>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...?ocid=msedgntp

Instead, Florida's Governor is threatening counties and cities with "millions of dollars of fines" if they implement vaccine mandates for their employees.

<<"He may say that he does, but I believe that many of the decisions he makes are purely politically motivated, and that is not how I make decisions as a crisis manager, an experienced crisis manager."

That message was echoed by Lauren Poe, the Democratic mayor of Gainesville, where all city employees are required to show proof of vaccination by October 1 or risk termination.

"The health, safety and welfare of our city's workforce and those we serve is our number one priority. The city has taken the steps necessary to achieve that priority and stand by that decision," he said in a statement. "It is our belief that as an employer, we retain the right and responsibility to require vaccinations as a condition of employment.">>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fl...?ocid=msedgntp

The recent COVID surge in Florida likely will impact health insurance premiums. Deaths and COVID disability may reduce labor availability and productivity. And healthcare professionals may increasingly shun Florida jobs.

It's also clear that the DeSantis' legal wars will greatly benefit some law firms at public expense.

Last edited by WRnative; 09-14-2021 at 03:35 PM..

Old 09-14-2021, 09:29 PM

Default Monday 9/13/2021 Update

Numbers from Worldometers.info. Hospital numbers from Florida Hospital Association.

Date.............Total Cases.....Total Deaths....New Cases......New Deaths...Today's Tests
Sun 9/12...... 3,463,780.........48,772
Mon 9/13...... 3,487,761.........49,249...........23,981......... ....477.............219,422

Mon 9/13 Hospitalizations 11,215 -170

ps. Does anyone see a missing period under the New in New Deaths? I wonder if it's the software or a problem on my laptop? It's been happening for months now.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:31 PM

Default Leadership during the COVID epidemic

This exit poll from the Newsom recall election in California suggests perhaps a significant difference in public attitude about COVID policies between California and Florida citizens.

<<As it turns out, those who are vaccinated are just fine with vaccine mandates. Just under one-third of voters told exit pollsters the the coronavirus was the most important issue facing California; Newsom won 4 in 5 of those voters. Just under two-thirds of voters said getting a vaccine is a public health responsibility, rather than a personal choice; Newsom won 83 percent of those voters. And 70 percent said they supported a school mask requirement; Newsom won 80 percent of those voters.>>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp

The policy statements and actions of political leaders likely shape public opinions and voting preferences, especially when the policies are deemed relatively successful compared to the alternatives.

I wonder IF Florida had a recall provision for its governors, if DeSantis would have survived a recall election at this moment. My guess that a recall petition definitely would have been circulated in Florida.

With Newsom reelected, both a proliferation of mask and vaccine mandates, and use of vaccine passports, may increase the relative outperformance of California over Florida on a per capita basis in this epidemic.

Sort this table by cases per million population and deaths and tests (higher is better) per million population as well.

This outperformance has taken place despite reports of COVID data manipulation by the DeSantis administration.

Higher levels of per capita testing should identify more infections unless testing is used to limit transmission greatly. E.g., is there any effort like this in Florida?

<<Emilio’s nasal swab test is a starting point in L.A. Unified’s colossal effort to screen every single student, teacher, and staff member — more than half a million people — once a week for the foreseeable future.>>

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/in...effort/2021/08

This is in addition to a state-wide school mask mandate imposed by Newsom.

If COVID sequelae ever are quantified by age group, California parents should be extremely grateful to Newsom for emphasizing children's physical safety over politics.

California school districts, starting with Los Angeles, now also are implementing mandatory vaccines for eligible students. Post the recall vote, the Newsom administration likely is considering a state-wide COVID vaccine mandate for school students.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-or-forerunner

In August, the Newsom administration already implemented a mandatory school vaccine/weekly testing mandate for all CA teachers and other school employees.

https://edsource.org/2021/vaccinatio...om-says/659414

There's a possibility that Newsom and DeSantis may someday end up in a Presidential debate. The topic of their respective COVID epidemic policies would be fascinating.

Of course, Newsom doesn't have a party base indoctrinated against scientific-based public health measures.

Last edited by WRnative; 09-15-2021 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: i

Old 09-15-2021, 06:54 PM

Despite the fact that California's mask and vaccine mandates are likely the most aggressive in the nation, 63 percent of recall election voters, per CBS news exit polls, said that Gov. Newsom's COVID policies were just about right or not strict enough (18 percent).

<<Exit polls found that 45% of voters say Newsom’s COVID-19 policies were just strict enough, while 18% of voters thought the policies could go even further. Those same exit polls found 32% of voters thought Newsom’s policies were too strict.

As for students being required to wear masks in school, a policy that has been a political lightning rod across the country, California voters overwhelmingly supported such a mandate at 70%. Twenty-five percent of California’s voters opposed that mandate.>>

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021...recall-voters/

A late August poll from Quinnipiac University found a majority of Floridians support mask mandates in public schools.

<<As Florida deals with a surge in COVID-19 cases and a battle intensifies over an executive order issued by Governor Ron DeSantis to ban mask mandates in schools, a majority of people in Florida say 60 - 36 percent that they support requiring students, teachers, and staff to wear masks in schools, according to a Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pea-ack) University poll of Florida adults released today....

Schools should be able to require masks for all students, say 54 percent of Floridians in a separate question, while 44 percent say that parents should decide whether or not their own student will be wearing a mask.

On Gov. DeSantis' threat to withhold school leaders' salaries if they require masks for students, 69 percent say it's a bad idea, while 25 percent say it's a good idea.>>

Floridians polled were even more supportive of mask mandates for indoor spaces outside of schools.

<<Nearly 7 in 10 (68 - 29 percent) say they think local officials should be able to require masks in indoor public spaces if they believe it is necessary.

A majority support 59 - 39 percent requiring everyone to wear masks while in indoor public spaces.

A majority believe 64 - 31 percent that masks or face coverings are effective in slowing the spread of COVID-19.

Sixty-three percent of Floridians say the issue of mask wearing is primarily about public health, while 33 percent say it is an issue about personal freedom.>>

A majority of Floridians said Gov. Ron DeSantis was hurting efforts to control the Delta variant surge and that epidemic was out of control in Florida.

<<While 41 percent say that Governor Ron DeSantis is helping efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19 in Florida, 46 percent say he is hurting efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19. Twelve percent did not offer an opinion.

A majority of Floridians say 61 - 33 percent that the recent rise in COVID-19 cases in the state was preventable.

Nearly 6 in 10 (59 percent) say the spread of COVID-19 in the state is out of control, while 34 percent say it is under control.>>

A majority of Floridians also supported employer vaccine mandates.

<<Florida adults were asked whether they support or oppose COVID-19 vaccine requirements for various groups:

For health care workers, 62 percent support, while 33 percent oppose;
For teachers, 60 percent support, while 36 percent oppose;
For employees of businesses, 50 percent support, while 44 percent oppose.>>

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3817

It will be interesting to see how Florida COVID poll results change now that Florida COVID cases, hospitalizations, and deaths have exploded upwards, especially among children, due to the Delta variant and relatively lax public health measures in schools compared to California and other states.

Perhaps Florida poll results now won't differ as much from CA recall election exit poll results.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:26 PM

Default Correction to post 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

With Newsom reelected, both a proliferation of mask and vaccine mandates, and use of vaccine passports, may increase the relative outperformance of California over Florida on a per capita basis in this epidemic.

Sort this table by cases per million population and deaths and tests (higher is better) per million population as well.

Here's the correct link for the table. Sorry.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us

BTW, click on the heading for each column to sort by that item.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:22 PM

Default Tuesday 09/14/2021 Update

Numbers from Worldometers.info. Hospital numbers from Florida Hospital Association.

Date.............Total Cases.....Total Deaths....New Cases......New Deaths...Today's Tests
Mon 9/13...... 3,487,761.........49,249
Tues 9/14...... 3,499,061.........49,254...........11,300......... .....5..............75,008

Tues 9/14 Hospitalizations 10,727 -488

Old 09-16-2021, 04:05 AM

Default Wednesday 9/15/2021 Update

Tues 9/14...... 3,499,061.........49,254
Wed 9/15...... 3,509,784.........49,257...........10,723......... ......3..............61,409

Wed 9/15 Hospitalizations 10,222 -505

Old 09-17-2021, 06:24 PM

Thursday, Sept 16th numbers, I'll update officially on Monday. I'm away and only on my tablet, it's too difficult to format on my tablet.

Cases 3,519,467 cases, new cases 9323
Deaths 50,811, new deaths 1554
Tests to date 38,385,934 (will calculate new tests on Monday)

Hospitalizations 9917 - 305
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida