Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 08:28 AM

5 posts, read 30,361 times

Advertisements

we are relocating to spring hill 2007

does anyone have any information on the better areas of spring hill, best schools. places to aviod?
we have middle school aged kids.
what kind of recreation is there for teens?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2006, 10:15 AM

8 posts, read 103,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjim
we are relocating to spring hill 2007

does anyone have any information on the better areas of spring hill, best schools. places to aviod?
we have middle school aged kids.
what kind of recreation is there for teens?
thanks
Hi Jim...

Better areas of Spring Hill (assuming you mean subd/develpments). It really depends on what you are in to... some of the more upscale neighborhoods have no amenities but wonderful to live in. For example and by no means is this list complete -

Lake in the Woods... 2 lakes... small/200 homes, prestigeous, at least 1/2 acre and up with beautiful homes, guarded gatehouse 24/7. If you don't live there you can't get in, unless a resident calls the guards to say you are coming. Unfortunately, there is nothing for teens... no clubhouse, no community pool, no golf course... but there are 4 tennis courts for residents.

River Country - not guarded... large lots 1/2 acre and up. Older homes, but lovely. You have to go through this subd to get to The Waters.

The Waters - prestigeous, beautiful subd - guarded. At least 1/2 acre and up, beautiful homes. No golf course, no community clubhouse, etc.

Pristine Place - a very large subd - seems almost cramped compared with LITW, The Waters, River Country, etc. ... max 1/3 acre lots. They do have a clubhouse, and I think a community pool. They have the access type keypads for entry. No guards, and anyone can get in the back way... not sure why they have keypads for security then.

North of Spring Hill along Rt. 19 is Glen Lakes... golf courses, community pool, tennis courts, etc. Lovely... guarded.

Further north (just south of Homosassa) is Sugar Mill Woods...lovely area... same type of development as Glen Lakes.

Unsure about schools.. retired here - kids grown and gone! Frankly, not a lot of recreation in SH for kids... there is Weeki Wachee Springs - water park, season tickets can be purchased. This area used to be more of a retirement community but that is rapidly changing with lots of younger families moving in to be near parents, family, etc.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:35 AM

5 posts, read 30,361 times
thanks!
we like spring hill, but are a little wary about the sinks, the area is nice & the homes are large for the $$. and we like the elbow room!

Old 08-23-2006, 02:24 PM

32 posts, read 141,190 times
Does anyone know what place in Florida is best to live when you have a 19 year old?

Old 09-18-2006, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 7,537 times
Default Spring Hill

Hi Irish Jim, I, too am soon to make my way down to Spring Hill and the Nature Coast area. My niece, parents, sister and daughter's father's family are all there. I have been visiting the area at least once a year for over twenty years.

Crystal River, near Sugarmill Woods, is an exclusive area that backs onto federal preserve land so there will never be overbuilding like we have here on LI. Also in the area is the WeekiWatchee river where my daughter scubas with the manatees. That said, it's also fairly isolated as you'll need to travel fifteen to twenty minutes to go major food or item shopping. My niece lives there and I LOVE the neighborhood. Golf heaven. My parents built their home in Spr.Hl. -which is 20mins. south of SMWoods- after selling their LI home in '96. Back then the area was all lots with displaced endangered turtles snakes and the like. I must say, boy have things changed. There is every kind of shopping available from 19 to Mariner to 50, it sits close to the Suncoast Hgy and cuts the commute to Tampa to 35 min. (Ny driving style )Lots of malls, restaurants and things to do. Do look for homes in zip codes 34608 34609. Linden Estates is REMARKABLE gorgeous and upscale. Good schools. You can research testing averages, percentages of students going onto college and demographics through the Florida State Department of ED. You can also research crime stats. My parents have their routine every day, they go to church several times a week, have more invitations to do things than they can commit to, have the medical coverage and hospital care they need so all in all I think it's a great area to move to, as I'm moving there myself to be close to the family.My dad says the market got expensive but is slowing down now. You should be able to find more than a few good deals. Good luck, and hope my post was helpful. Barb oooohoo one last thought: they have tripled my parents' homeowners' taxes to almost $3000 due to hurricanes. AND you need a good engineer as many people's homes have been sucked down into sinkholes, so you need to make sure your home is not susceptible to sink holes which homeowners' does not cover without a heavy rider. Spring Hill is also known as :"Little New York."

Old 09-20-2006, 04:19 PM

6 posts, read 30,213 times
I live one county south in Pasco County, but am pretty familiar with Spring Hill area, and other posts are correct. There are many nice areas to live. I would warn you though to please, please do your homework first on Homeowners Insurance rates. It would behoove you not to with the insurance crisis we are having on the central gulf coast of Florida, due mainly to sinkholes claims more so than hurricane problems.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:48 AM

7 posts, read 41,952 times
Default Hi Dorothy From Spring Hill, 34608

Hello everyone,

Just moved here from Long Island, New York. I live in the 34608 area in Spring Hill.
I miss living on Long Island so much. I haven't been here that long, so I am trying to give it some time.
I have been trying to find employment here with no success.
It seems companies don't even accept your resume in person. You must submit one over the computer.. Which means my resume is one of thousands.. and probably never looked at.
I am not interested in working all the way in Tampa.. If that was an option, I would have stayed on Long Island and worked in NYC, same kind of commute.
I moved here for an easier life..and although I have a beautiful home for the money, it hasn't been much easier.
With no job, no friends, no family, it can be anything but easier or happier.
If I don't find employment soon.. I will be forced to sell my home in Spring Hill and move back to New York, where the work is.
This is a nice place to live if you are retired. But if you need to work and support your family, forget it.
Is anyone going through the same situation I am?
I see people relocating and employed.. People have told me it is not what you know but whom you know.
Well, thanks for letting me vent! I just wondered if I am alone with this problem.
Thanks,
Dorothy in Spring Hill

Old 12-26-2006, 08:03 AM

16 posts, read 128,155 times
Hi Dorothy,

What type of work are you looking for?

Josh

Old 12-26-2006, 10:10 PM

7 posts, read 41,952 times
Hello Josh,
Thank you for asking. I have experience in the customer service field, clerical, reception, and education. I was a teacher's aide for special needs children. I have applied at the school district, the sheriff's office, home depot, Lowes, St. Petersburg Times, etc..Everyone I chat with tell me the same thing, "You will have a hard time finding employment here." I know the pay scale is different here. I was informed of that before moving. But I honestly thought I would be able to find employment. I never had trouble before. I plan on going to Man Power this week. It is really my last hope for staying here. Now I have to worry about getting my money back on this house with the decline of home values and sales..
Well, I thank you for asking. If you have any advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Take care, Dorothy

Old 01-02-2007, 05:41 AM

236 posts, read 902,126 times
Default Spring Hill

Ok I live in spring Hill. I have a teenager too, and except for Weeki Wachee and the Y, there really isnt much for the kids to do. Spring Hill is definately a retirement community! As far as areas, there are plenty of new gated communities going up! The prices are high though! New upscale developments all along the parkway with gated and large homes. Make sure you check for sink holes first though! The schools are typical, dont let anyone fool you, they definately have some problems. But I dont know of any recent major problems. Many of the schools have outgrown themselves and the kids classes are held in trailers. For my own tastes, I've been here 4 years and am looking to move out of this area. I never found it to be "family friendly".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida