Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 06:04 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times

Advertisements

Don't overthink it. I doubt any other visitors to the parks and tourist spots are going to point them out and stare.

https://trip101.com/article/things-t...trus-county-fl

https://www.thecrazytourist.com/15-b...-inverness-fl/

https://www.eventbrite.com/d/fl--cry...-this-weekend/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 09:42 AM

34 posts, read 26,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
The boat tour at Homosassa....and even Weeki Wachee is fun...and all the small old towns.....41 and 44 can be a gorgeous drive

you know, the area is probably a lot more diverse than you think....gay people don't wear a badge...and the vast majority are not into acting out
There's no accusations or judgements of other people's behavior. I want them to be comfortable, know them well enough to have reservations about THEIR comfort some places, and, having not been here super long, was looking for suggestions. That's all. Doesn't have to turn into something personal........

Old 05-12-2022, 09:44 AM

THANK YOU for that helpful and kind info! Awesome stuff!

Old 05-12-2022, 09:46 AM

There's no accusations or judgements of other people's behavior. I want them to be comfortable, know them well enough to have reservations about THEIR comfort some places, and, having not been here super long, was looking for suggestions. That's all. Doesn't have to turn into something personal........

Old 05-12-2022, 09:51 AM

thanks for understanding

Old 05-12-2022, 09:58 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Have ANY of us seen them? I sure haven't...Obviously something stands out about them if the OP asked this question. Also if they do indeed stand out, the fact that they need to "conceal" themselves pretty much proves my point.

No need to conceal your truth in metropolitan areas where no one cares or even has the time to care about someone's else sexual preferences. I'm certainly not gay, but I also don't give a damn about who is...time is finite and i'm not wasting mine my caring about that. Small town folks typically have too much time on their hands to care.
You clearly have the best take on the situation and agree completely as an LGBT person myself that standing out in certain locales within the state is going to likely bring unwanted attention. The typical mainstream gay male would not stand out, but know all too well some flamboyant acquaintances that would set off some alarms and is a very important distinction to make.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:36 AM

634 posts, read 405,143 times
Thank you. I was beginning to think I'm the only straight person on this thread who has had first hand acquaintances with LGBTQ people. I knew almost exactly what the OP was asking.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but while a small sample size, the fact that this logic escaped so many should suggest to the OP to take their guests to Tampa/Orlando (possibly Gainesville area) to avoid an uncomfortable situation and ensure a good time for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You clearly have the best take on the situation and agree completely as an LGBT person myself that standing out in certain locales within the state is going to likely bring unwanted attention. The typical mainstream gay male would not stand out, but know all too well some flamboyant acquaintances that would set off some alarms and is a very important distinction to make.

Last edited by silverct9a; 05-12-2022 at 11:32 AM..

Old 05-12-2022, 10:41 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Thank you. I was beginning to think I'm the only straight person on this thread who has had first hand acquaintances with LGBTQ people. I knew almost exactly what the OP was asking.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but the fact that this logic escaped so many should suggest to the OP to take their guests to Tampa/Orlando (possibly Gainesville area) to avoid an uncomfortable situation and ensure a good time for all.
No, I used to hang out quite often at "gay bars" in Orlando when I lived there. Always had a great time, and made some great friends.

Perhaps it has more to do with my ignorance with regards to the prejudice that is apparently rampant in some of those areas?

Old 05-12-2022, 10:46 AM

634 posts, read 405,143 times
Good post Arcenal. Unfortunately there are many who have to hide in the shadows of the mainstream. It's that reason why I cannot in good faith recommend non metropolitan areas for LGBTQ people in Florida...simply too much ignorance running rampant and it's basically unchecked.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:34 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
Good post Arcenal. Unfortunately there are many who have to hide in the shadows of the mainstream. It's that reason why I cannot in good faith recommend non metropolitan areas for LGBTQ people in Florida...simply too much ignorance running rampant and it's basically unchecked.
We have 2 sets of gay relatives that live there....the guys moved up there about 8 years ago....Crystal River.....the girls moved up after Andrew....Citrus Hills

...they have a lot of friends....both have said it's a lot friendlier than Miami where they are from....and both absolutely love it there....neither have ever had one little bit of the trouble you're pushing

We go up and visit....have met a lot of their friends....not a one of them have ever mentioned any kind of trouble at all...and all of them are into the touristy things

...so I have no idea where this stuff is coming from with you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida