Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 07:56 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
But that’s the Appalachians, and not the Rockies or Cascades, and we want to go big regarding mountains.

Metro Philly also has twice as many people as metro Denver and Denver’s about as big as we want to go. 2-3 million in the metro area is a nice size for our plans because it’s big enough to have a lot of amenities and services while still generally being small enough to have easy access to wide open spaces.

The West is what’s calling us.

As for the springs, it was amusing a year or two back when we were pleasantly chatting with a pretty ‘rural’ sounding family at Ponce De Leon Springs State Park (about 40 minutes drive form home) a year or two back. They asked us if we were from ‘around here’ and we said, yeah we’d lived in Niceville for twenty years and their response was that we weren’t from around there then.
Vancouver, WA is a good place if you do not mind the cooler weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 09:32 PM

846 posts, read 680,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
I did leave! Florida’s prime days were 15-20 years ago. It’s on the downhill and has been for a while for numerous reasons of course.
I thought this post was one of mine for a second. We're practically twins lol.

All the reasons you mentioned plus: Reckless drivers. Congested traffic. Extreme cost of living paired mediocre wages. Cookie cutter design.

Old 03-07-2023, 10:20 PM

537 posts, read 443,275 times
I did move 3 years ago after repeated thefts of my cars and burglaries.

We'd be happy as punch had the stock market not dropped so much last year. And now that I have to take Required Minimum Distributions that I don't need, I'm really in a bad mood looking at business television on days like today.

But I was very fortunate to retire young with two homes paid for, no liabilities and enough financial resources.

Old 03-09-2023, 06:48 AM

472 posts, read 547,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It's a type of person. I've lived in 8 cities and there is the same type of person in every city where all they seem to do is complain about how awful everything is where they live and how better other places are... it's funny and sad at the same time.
Sometime the problem is wherever you go, you take yourself with you.

Old 03-09-2023, 11:24 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
Sounds cute and cliche but it’s kind of a fallacy. It’s really a naive statement and to general of one... We are absolutely products of our environments and the people around us no matter how independent thinking and spirited we think we are. Different places have different vibes and will absolutely have a direct impact on one’s attitude and overall moral. Sure, there’s some basis of truth no matter where we go our memories, personalities and character follow us but bottom line is some places are better than others!

In other words yes, sometimes the grass is really greener on the other side.

Last edited by JPrzybylski07; 03-09-2023 at 11:35 AM..

Old 03-09-2023, 11:59 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySipowicz View Post
A huge number of posts I'm seeing are from members complaining about this, that, or the other thing. No place is perfect of course, but if you're so miserable here, why not just leave and relocate to somewhere more preferable? Life is way too short to be so unhappy all the time. I couldn't imagine waking up every morning and being as miserable as some of you appear to be. Do yourself a favor...if you're that unhappy here, contact a realtor and a moving company, and get the hell out. You'll be much happier. And so will we.
Sometimes it's not as simple as moving. There are financial considerations, family considerations, jobs, etc. It can take awhile.

Old 03-09-2023, 12:00 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
That's true to a point. We left FL a few years back and are much happier than when we lived there.

Old 03-09-2023, 01:06 PM

195 posts, read 130,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySipowicz View Post
A huge number of posts I'm seeing are from members complaining about this, that, or the other thing. No place is perfect of course, but if you're so miserable here, why not just leave and relocate to somewhere more preferable? Life is way too short to be so unhappy all the time. I couldn't imagine waking up every morning and being as miserable as some of you appear to be. Do yourself a favor...if you're that unhappy here, contact a realtor and a moving company, and get the hell out. You'll be much happier. And so will we.

BRILLIANT question.

With real estate prices and traffic congestion growing given the ongoing influx of newcomers, it'd be a win/ win for all if whiners simply went to find a better fit elsewhere. There are many states and even more countries out there!

Old 03-09-2023, 01:18 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
Family. 110%. And I mean that goes to marriage and such, but even if both parties in a marriage are sorta on board with a move… its still difficult to leave parents, siblings, etc no matter how you feel about a place, it’s not something to take lightly.

Secondarily would be job and job stability-if something is going to cause you to move out of state, it had better be something you are already hired for, and feel good that it’s a good opportunity that will last for a while.

I’m not gonna hate on the things other people hate on here, because that’s pretty much everywhere. I don’t mind the built environment even with it being sprawled, and I think overall people are nice here and there’s not a shortage of things to do.

But bottom line, I would absolutely like to live somewhere that is not as hot, and not as flat. I will say in the 13 years I’ve been here, it definitely feels like winter months have gotten quite a bit hotter. I don’t have specific data to back that up, but honestly, November thru March, at least, and even October and April used to be a genuine joy. I’d also like to live somewhere that offered me a better earnings and opportunity vs COL ratio, but that’s not a picking on FL thing since I don’t think it’s that bad for that (others are potentially worse), but no question, if I could find a place that paid me more and cost less to live in and I had an offer in front of me, I’d think heavily about relocating. But then I think most would, too.

Old 03-09-2023, 01:20 PM

195 posts, read 130,360 times
Quote:

THAT. Exactly THAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: