Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 11:47 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Sometimes, neighbors will tap into your line w/o your knowlege, so you are paying for 2 homes.

You'd think that would throw the main breaker, but I've read of this happening.

Something strange is going on which is why I recommended the audit.
A lot of main breakers are way oversized. Lots of people are being convinced by sharkster electricians to throw in 400A service mains for a single house, which can be quite costly and absolutely unnecessary for just about anyone. But it happens a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 04:59 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
[quote=GreggT;65576621]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post

Check again, (Google is your Friend) "68 Tropical Storms and Hurricanes have passed within 60 miles of the city!
The risk is there!
Still a dead zone jack. Never had a twig blow off a tree. Anything under 120mph is not real my man. I don't need to check jack bra as i lived here since 1963 and lived thru it all.

Old 07-25-2023, 03:59 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Sounds like the tenants could be running a grow house for marijuana with that type of electrical usage lol. When is the last time you entered the apartment? Is there anything in the apartment that could be explaining the extra usage?

What is the usage compared to previous years/tenants? If the place is so well insulated it shouldn't be using that much electricity.
These are not apartments they are houses.

The usage is the about the same as last year but the bill is double. That is not a 10% increase.

MANY people in Tampa are seeing this and they are FURIOUS.

Here's some comments from Tampa Next Door:

I have tried repeatedly to search for posts on TECO increase, but Nextdoor freezes on me. Anywhooo, what is the deal? Why did my electric bill literally double since last month with no added usage??

$648 was my bill this month. I’m in a 1600 sq ft house. It’s out of control. Every month i am cutting back on usage and the bill keeps going up. It’s unbelievable.

I have lived in Hyde Park for 17 years and my electric bill has never been over $100. I live alone. I don't use the oven, stove or dishwasher. My air is on 80 all day while I'm at work. It's never set below 75 when I'm home The past 2 months my bill has been around $235. What is going on?

I live solo, keep the air on modestly as well. Never use those same appliances and laundry every week on Sundays. Mine has fluctuated seasonally over the past decade, but this just doubled from last month to around $245. It’s maddening!

Hardly use any major appliances, have no pool, live alone, my air is set at 80, and my air conditioner is tuned and the coils sparkling clean, just had them done. By bill was $214 last month and $309 this month. The TECO rep lectured me on climate change. I know rates are are up and it has been hotter than anything before but I still think it’s too high. He refused to have the meter checked.

Try having your bill be $671…. In 2022 it was $501 and in 2021 it was $331 … same kilowatt usage, had TECO come look with an energy audit, no ac leak, had the ducts resealed and insulation added to attic…. Keep ac @76 and don’t touch it ever. Lived in my house 10 years now and it’s ridiculous. All neighbors bills jumped up a lot as well

I feel ya. $648 last month, it was $287 this month last year.

same. we are at $630 this month, ran $250-$300 last year.

My bill came in at $375 this month!!! I literally had a heart attack!!!

I had the same exact usage last June as this June but my bill was 50% higher. I asked TECO about it and she said there was a 10% increase in January 2023 approved for a year, and another 10% surcharge in April added, but that doesn’t equal 50% and the person on the phone could not explain it. I noticed there are a lot of significant extra charges. Two are storm related, and one is clean energy related. I’m not sure if those are new?

This time last year, we had 8 people and 3 dogs living with us. (Included in those eight were four teenagers on summer break and a baby, in the house 24/7). The bill increase during that time was very high, but. understandable Once they left, our TECO bill reflected the historical usage of our regular household members. Until last month. It was high but this month’s bill, is just criminal. NOT only did our bill increase by 300%, our bill states we used 20 kw’s MORE than last year at this time. That’s impossible. We are going to schedule a TECO energy review but doubtful it will provide anything we don’t already do (solar attic fans, AC’s not in occupied areas kept on 79, unplug appliances, switched EVERY light in the house to LED, change air filters every month, increased main AC to 75-76 during the day, etc)
SMH

THIS IS NOT NORMAL or acceptable and TECO needs to provide answers!!!!

Old 07-25-2023, 04:52 PM

Your kWh numbers are not normal. At all.

Has nothing to do with TECO. I posted a screenshot of my Duke bill. Duke is MORE EXPENSIVE than TECO. Everything in my home is constantly running.

Again, your energy usage is through the roof.

Old 07-25-2023, 05:05 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Your kWh numbers are not normal. At all.

Has nothing to do with TECO. I posted a screenshot of my Duke bill. Duke is MORE EXPENSIVE than TECO. Everything in my home is constantly running.

Again, your energy usage is through the roof.

It's the energy use of my two tenants in separate houses, not mine.

If the (supposedly high) energy use/kwhs of those 2 properties/tenants last year cost 200 dollars and this year the same usage is costing 400 dollars, that's a problem, and it's on TECO, not me or my tenants

Old 07-25-2023, 05:10 PM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post

If the (supposedly high) energy use/kwhs of those 2 properties/tenants last year cost 200 dollars and this year the same usage is costing 400 dollars, that's a problem, and it's on TECO, not me or my tenants
I'd report TECO to the State by sending them copies of the bills year to year showing same usage but 100% increase in rates. I read TECO raised rates by 15% not 100%. The State's public utility commissioners office needs to hear your & your tenants stories.

Old 07-25-2023, 05:17 PM

18,426 posts, read 8,258,982 times
you know both of your tenants are using ~80 kWH a day....and the average house in Florida runs about 40 kWH a day

...if they are ~1800 sq ft that's a average house size

Old 07-25-2023, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Can you share a screenshot of a bill from last year from the same property?

Old 07-26-2023, 09:34 AM

491 posts, read 471,659 times
Still exorbitantly less expensive compared to the northeast.

Old 07-26-2023, 09:50 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Which of my statements above are exaggerated?

Sorry you are stuck with me forever, considering that ALL of my family lives here.........and I have loads of property here!
That electric bill would be well over a grand in CA. Just fyi, setting expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida