Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2023, 01:30 PM

17,198 posts, read 15,390,629 times

Advertisements

[quote=sinatras;65629949]Record-high requests for electric bill assistance in Tampa Bay

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/lo...8-cfabd00cf4be

Because ever since COVID, they have been handing out "assistance money" left and right for rent and electric bills for virtually everyone making under [I think] $75k as single head of household. I believe it's $150k for married couples. People who don't NEED assistance have been applying like crazy because it's free money.
I believe the big one is called the CARES program? I know of quite a few who abused it, only because they could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2023, 06:26 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Exorbitant auto insurance prices
Exorbitant property insurance prices
Exorbitant real estate prices
Exorbitant rental prices
Exorbitant roof prices
Exorbitant grocery prices
Exorbitant gas prices
and now exorbitant ELECTRIC BILLS due to the unrelenting heat and runaway utility company rate hikes!!!!!!!!!

People with 2000-square foot homes, who keep their AC set at 76, are getting 400-700 dollar electric bills in Tampa!

Next up: a $50 tax to go to the beach!
What's up with all the Florida hatred?

Old 08-05-2023, 08:11 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
What's up with all the Florida hatred?
There's a hidden agenda that we'll never know.

Sometimes, when people complain about the cost of everything, its because they are in financial hardship.

Perhaps some empathy is in order.

If a place makes you feel all the time, it's time to consider moving to place that will make you

Of course, some people are never so we must consider that. Some people can't move either...they're trapped.

Millions moved to FLA for our Winter weather, and low cost of living. Not all moves are successful, so we should acknowlege that, & show some compassion.

If I was living large in Paris & Maui when I was younger, & now was in FLA, I wouldn't be happy either.

Let's all agree that life in the free state of Florida is not for everyone. FLA isn't Utopia for all.

Old 08-06-2023, 06:02 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
There's a hidden agenda that we'll never know.

Sometimes, when people complain about the cost of everything, its because they are in financial hardship.

Perhaps some empathy is in order.

If a place makes you feel all the time, it's time to consider moving to place that will make you

Of course, some people are never so we must consider that. Some people can't move either...they're trapped.

Millions moved to FLA for our Winter weather, and low cost of living. Not all moves are successful, so we should acknowlege that, & show some compassion.

If I was living large in Paris & Maui when I was younger, & now was in FLA, I wouldn't be happy either.

Let's all agree that life in the free state of Florida is not for everyone. FLA isn't Utopia for all.

There is no "hidden agenda".

City Data Forum is primarily a public forum dedicated to providing information about cities and states in the USA for people looking to relocate. None of the information that I have posted is inaccurate. What's the point in me creating threads about all the great things about Florida everyone already knows about? Great winter weather, no state income tax, etc. Everyone already knows about that.

People looking to move here need to know, however, about things like $400+ electric bills and frequent power outages and outrageous insurance costs. The media is obviously starting to report on these costs. And

The only "hidden agenda" is from those here on City Data Forum who don't want anyone to express these truths about Florida. Perhaps all of these deniers work for utility companies?

Here's an article about $600 bills in St. Lucie County, the allegedly "cooler" coast/part of Florida.

https://www.wptv.com/news/treasure-c...amid-heat-wave

This is a growing problem across the state.

Old 08-06-2023, 08:20 AM

635 posts, read 405,926 times
The East Coast is certainly cooler…accept it and move on with your life. No with that said, the treasure coast aside from Stuart and small pockets of Vero Beach is an arm pit…everyone in Southeast Florida knows that.
Quote:
There is no "hidden agenda".

City Data Forum is primarily a public forum dedicated to providing information about cities and states in the USA for people looking to relocate. None of the information that I have posted is inaccurate. What's the point in me creating threads about all the great things about Florida everyone already knows about? Great winter weather, no state income tax, etc. Everyone already knows about that.

People looking to move here need to know, however, about things like $400+ electric bills and frequent power outages and outrageous insurance costs. The media is obviously starting to report on these costs. And

The only "hidden agenda" is from those here on City Data Forum who don't want anyone to express these truths about Florida. Perhaps all of these deniers work for utility companies?

Here's an article about $600 bills in St. Lucie County, the allegedly "cooler" coast/part of Florida.

https://www.wptv.com/news/treasure-c...amid-heat-wave

This is a growing problem across the state.

Old 08-06-2023, 10:28 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Please get a hold of yourself before you end up in the Health Forum.
You decided to buy and live in Tampa. Pack up and move.
600 would have been nice in summer while we were in Texas.
My power bill has never even been close to $600. And our power outages are few and far between, when they occur, are generally caused by either a lightning hit or some doofus driver hitting and damaging FPL equipment.

My electric bill this month decreased by $100, thanks to a new AC system to replace the old system that was leaking freon, and a well insulated house and well installed hurricane impact windows.

I'm just glad I don't live in the same Florida that the OP does, LOL.

Old 08-06-2023, 11:04 AM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times
I want to know what kind of homes you people live in.

Our electric bill is consistently under $200. We live in a 1180-sf double-wide manufactured home. We have two TVs, a full sized fridge, range, oven, microwave, an apartment-sized fridge, washer and dryer, computer, printer, lights, central AC and heat with the unit outside in the back yard containing both the A/C and the heat pump; no furnace. The hot water heater is in a compartment built into the house from the outside and is not insulated.

On nice days we open all the windows and the door to our uninsulated but enclosed lanai to allow the cross-breeze through.

I can't even imagine the cost of our electricity going up to $400, let alone $600 per month on average.

Old 08-06-2023, 07:55 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I want to know what kind of homes you people live in.

Our electric bill is consistently under $200. We live in a 1180-sf double-wide manufactured home. We have two TVs, a full sized fridge, range, oven, microwave, an apartment-sized fridge, washer and dryer, computer, printer, lights, central AC and heat with the unit outside in the back yard containing both the A/C and the heat pump; no furnace. The hot water heater is in a compartment built into the house from the outside and is not insulated.

On nice days we open all the windows and the door to our uninsulated but enclosed lanai to allow the cross-breeze through.

I can't even imagine the cost of our electricity going up to $400, let alone $600 per month on average.
As I've mentioned in earlier posts, we have never had a $600 electric bill, or anywhere close to it. Our highest bill came in last month at $433, but that was an outlier, due to our failing AC ( freon leak) running all the time trying to cool the house during a hot summer. Our new AC system was installed 7/26. This month's bill just came in, it was $328 which is still higher than we are accustomed to, but I think this bill still includes some days when the old AC was trying to run. We're used to bills less than $300 even during the summer, or during the cooler winter days when we run the heat pump some ( not much). In the winters our power bill is generally in the low $100's.

We have a 1950 sq. ft CBS/stucco construction house, well insulated, with hurricane impact glass windows and a couple sliders. The windows/sliders are UV tinted and there are overhangs over all the windows ( sliders open up to the covered lanai ) so little of the radiant heat from outside gets in from the outside, and neither the windows or doors leak out any inside air- we aren't air-conditioning the outside as happens frequently with old jalousie or awning windows, and even doors when the weatherstripping is worn out.

And the AC company who put in the AC originally did such a great job of balancing everything, installing the right size system for the size and design of the house. We set the thermostat where we want it and the house temperature stays there with little variation in temperature from room to room.

We'll see how things go from here, with the new AC system.

Old 08-07-2023, 05:11 AM

184 posts, read 141,152 times
Quote:
The vast majority of the Floridians who vote for him are not able to pay $600 electric bills or $10,000 insurance premiums. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Majority of them will be fleeing the "freedom" soon!
yesssss! yet they continue to support him and vote for him. ?

Old 08-07-2023, 05:14 AM

184 posts, read 141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Every expense is controllable in FLA, & if you are smart & frugal, you'll have costs like ours...

Through 5 yrs in our current home, our FLA electric bill averages $125/month for a 3,000 sq ft home.

Our property insurance is $1,250 (flood would add $600 more), so $1,850, but we do carry the highest deductible.

Every list I've ever seen for total cost of living in Florida, ranks Florida somewhere in the middle. This one has FLA 24th:

https://247wallst.com/state/how-the-...to%20inflation.

I've lived in Tampa, St. Pete, Bradenton, Venice, & Boca Raton, & I disagree w/ the OP...FLA is still affordable overall, if you are smart & frugal. If you are not, the OP's post is accurate.
Flood is not 600 more. per year? More like 6000. Where is this place and Honestly would be thrilled for you but ??? , what how do you cool that much space at $125 a month? ????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida