Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2023, 08:06 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,193,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Is your home built in the 1950s?

I recall you said you you retrofitted your place with insulation?

Quote:
I have had countless energy audits over the past 15 years and I am insulated up to the wazoo and believe me when I tell you that among ALL of my Tampa rental properties, a $400 electric bill this July is now AVERAGE. All of my tenants are complaining about it. And so are homeowners in the neighborhoods. All you have to do is read Next Door and Facebook Tampa groups. But of course you don't do that; you just come here and make false claims.

Maybe get another audit?
Another one if the renters are young they may not have much of common sense regarding the house.

For example, speculating here: if the house faces South or West with the expanse of glass - do they have heavy drapery or cellular blinds to cover windows when the sun is blasting?

Do they maintain and clean the condenser? It is a half hour job. Dirty condenser would eat up a lot of kilowatts
Do they keep the lanai door open to the pool?, etc

(As a landlord you could try to grow fast growing shrubs or trees to shade the windows? On the western and southern sides? It could help! Eventually!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 08:06 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Where are you located? Here in Palm Beach County & Broward we were under a flood watch as of yesterday.

Has literally rained heavily every single day here for the past month. This also illustrates my point perfectly…this is a big state! One can’t use blanket expressions of how much Florida’s weather sucks. YOUR part of Florida sucks…please clarify (not directed towards you).
On the gulf that never gets rain northwest of Tampa thanks to a west flow. All the rain is inland and east coast year after year. This is the worst part of FL weather wise. Never any rain never any canes and no more cold like we used to get in the 1980's.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:30 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
I recall you said you you retrofitted your place with insulation?

Maybe get another audit?
Another one if the renters are young they may not have much of common sense regarding the house.

For example, speculating here: if the house faces South or West with the expanse of glass - do they have heavy drapery or cellular blinds to cover windows when the sun is blasting?

Do they maintain and clean the condenser? It is a half hour job. Dirty condenser would eat up a lot of kilowatts
Do they keep the lanai door open to the pool?, etc

(As a landlord you could try to grow fast growing shrubs or trees to shade the windows? On the western and southern sides? It could help! Eventually!)

Thanks for the suggestions.........gonna look at the condensers.

Both rentals are 2-story 1950s CBS construction with regular insulation and additional blown-in insulation into the ATTICs. Both rentals have the Trane HVAC heat pumps serviced (coils cleaned etc) yearly. Both rentals do not have pools. Both rentals are south facing and this year there has been little to no rain in South Tampa. The only time the outside temp gets lower than 82 in South Tampa in summer is when it rains. Which it hasn't. Last summer was same crap.

AC runs nonstop with thermostat set at 75 or lower.

And before anyone starts arguing about the rain, or saying they are getting buckets of rain every day, please see here for more info. about the severe drought in Tampa and SW FL:

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Curre...aspx?Southeast

In the summer, rain is pretty much the only time ACs and electric bills get a break in Florida.

Last edited by sinatras; 07-28-2023 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-28-2023, 11:48 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:

Both rentals are 2-story 1950s CBS construction with regular insulation and additional blown-in insulation into the ATTICs. Both rentals have the Trane HVAC heat pumps serviced (coils cleaned etc) yearly. Both rentals do not have pools. Both rentals are south facing and this year there has been little to no rain in South Tampa. The only time the outside temp gets lower than 82 in South Tampa in summer is when it rains. Which it hasn't. Last summer was same crap.

And before anyone starts arguing about the rain, or saying they are getting buckets of rain every day, please see here for more info. about the severe drought in Tampa and SW FL:

In the summer, rain is pretty much the only time ACs and electric bills get a break in Florida.
I think that's your answer right there. AC running nonstop - 75 or lower! Geez, in this kind of heat it's no wonder those bills are what they are! The AC is usually reponsbible for most of your electric bill. Install some fans and bump up that AC or suck it up and pay the bills. I think maybe the two-story build may be a factor.

I have Lakland Electric, which typically runs high but I keep my AC around 78 with fans running and it stays plenty cool in my one story solidly built home. $143 for electric last month.

Old 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I think that's your answer right there. AC running nonstop - 75 or lower! Geez, in this kind of heat it's no wonder those bills are what they are! The AC is usually reponsbible for most of your electric bill. Install some fans and bump up that AC or suck it up and pay the bills. I think maybe the two-story build may be a factor.

I have Lakland Electric, which typically runs high but I keep my AC around 78 with fans running and it stays plenty cool in my one story solidly built home. $143 for electric last month.
I keep mine at 81 when i am work. Then 78 when i am home. By bedroom is 82 to 84f after around 3pm thru the nite and i have a winder unit i use before i go to bed to bring it down to 78f.

Old 07-28-2023, 12:04 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,193,305 times
Quote:

Bob Villa thought to be respected site.

The cleaners they recommend; there are great YT videos how to clean the outside unit.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/bes...-coil-cleaner/

If you have mini splits - then inside heads have to be cleaned monthly

If you have space: def consider planting some trees on the southern side of the rentals.

It creates microclimate and alleviate the heating of the walls. Sun’s radiation is a b!¥ČH

In Fl I would even consider evergreens as you may not need the sun even in winter?

Send a southern view picture or just a photo of jotted down diagram of the yard with the dimensions and utilities locations if any - maybe we could suggest some treed “sunscreen” for your properties?

This heat doesn’t go anywhere, sounds like it would stay or even get worse…

Old 07-28-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Bob Villa thought to be respected site.

The cleaners they recommend; there are great YT videos how to clean the outside unit.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/bes...-coil-cleaner/

If you have mini splits - then inside heads have to be cleaned monthly

If you have space: def consider planting some trees on the southern side of the rentals.

It creates microclimate and alleviate the heating of=f the walls.

In Fl I would even consider evergreens as you may not need the sun even in winter?

Send a southern view picture or just a photo of jotted down diagram of the yard with the dimensions and utilities locations if any - maybe we could suggest some treed “sunscreen” for your properties?

This heat doesn’t go anywhere, sounds like it would stay or even get worse…
Not sure if Bob is even around anymore. Never see him on TV.

Old 07-28-2023, 12:37 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

These are not my bills. They are my tenants' bills. And my tenants are complaining about electric bill prices/increases in Tampa as "unaffordable". It also is a problem when a potential tenant calls TECO and asks for "average power bill" for the address and TECO tells them $400 during summer months............potential tenant then moves on to another home

Old 07-28-2023, 01:23 PM

Quote:
These are not my bills. They are my tenants' bills. And my tenants are complaining about electric bill prices/increases in Tampa as "unaffordable". It also is a problem when a potential tenant calls TECO and asks for "average power bill" for the address and TECO tells them $400 during summer months............potential tenant then moves on to another home
That is what i did in 2004 when i lived in Danashores when i got a bill from TECO that was 2 times the normal price. I moved so fast it made their head spin. Plus i did not need a big house my parents left me and wanted something half the size. And the prices in west Pasco were the cheapest in the state with homes well under 100k in 04.

Old 07-28-2023, 02:08 PM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Is Miami considered coastal? It also sits on a bay.
I've always considered Miami Beach as being coastal, but not Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida