Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 02:36 PM

1,247 posts, read 926,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I hope you're not a born American citizen because it's rude and disloyal to hate your own country.
I was being sarcastic. Reaganomics strikes me as a blind Bush supporter, one of those "You are with us or against us" type of people. I mean, he wants to deport everyone who doesn't agree with him. He's a facist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 08:27 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
I'm leaving ASAP. It's probably because I hate America, not because Florida's infrastructure is overcrowded, causing lots of stress on individuals. That makes much more sense.
Well, you are leaving Florida going to England, France, Germany, Spain, etc? I must make a clear note, these countries are free today because we the United States of America made them free. Our soldiers, marines, airman, and seaman defended their interest.

If you hate America, check your wallet. If you want stress become part of our military and go defend someone else country. I did it for 22 years and I'm proud of this great country. Don't blame your fears on America, stand firm and challenge yourself to conquer anything. Some old retire dude stand firm to give a hand.

"OLD GLORY!"
This famous name was coined by Captain William Driver, a shipmaster of Salem, Massachusetts, in 1831. As he was leaving on one of his many voyages aboard the brig CHARLES DOGGETT - and this one would climax with the rescue of the mutineers of the BOUNTY - some friends presented him with a beautiful flag of twenty four stars. As the banner opened to the ocean breeze for the first time, he exclaimed "Old Glory!"

He retired to Nashville in 1837, taking his treasured flag from his sea days with him. By the time the Civil War erupted, most everyone in and around Nashville recognized Captain Driver's "Old Glory." When Tennesee seceded from the Union, Rebels were determined to destroy his flag, but repeated searches revealed no trace of the hated banner.

Then on February 25th, 1862, Union forces captured Nashville and raised the American flag over the capital. It was a rather small ensign and immediately folks began asking Captain Driver if "Old Glory" still existed. Happy to have soldiers with him this time, Captain Driver went home and began ripping at the seams of his bedcover. As the stitches holding the quilt-top to the batting unraveled, the onlookers peered inside and saw the 24-starred original "Old Glory"!

Captain Driver gently gathered up the flag and returned with the soldiers to the capitol. Though he was sixty years old, the Captain climbed up to the tower to replace the smaller banner with his beloved flag. The Sixth Ohio Regiment cheered and saluted - and later adopted the nickname "Old Glory" as their own, telling and re-telling the story of Captain Driver's devotion to the flag we honor yet today.

Captain Driver's grave is located in the old Nashville City Cemetery, and is one of three (3) places authorized by act of Congress where the Flag of the United States may be flown 24 hours a day.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:15 PM

155 posts, read 284,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Well, you are leaving Florida going to England, France, Germany, Spain, etc? I must make a clear note, these countries are free today because we the United States of America made them free. Our soldiers, marines, airman, and seaman defended their interest.

If you hate America, check your wallet. If you want stress become part of our military and go defend someone else country. I did it for 22 years and I'm proud of this great country. Don't blame your fears on America, stand firm and challenge yourself to conquer anything. Some old retire dude stand firm to give a hand.
I want to note that A LOT of British people are coming to the USA right now. Why? Because the situation in the UK is really bad. a British gent I know recently told me the "healthcare for all" system in the UK is collapsing. If you need an emergency surgery, the minimum wait time these days (called a "Queue") is about 6 months to 2 years. Why is the system failing? Because there is massive illegal immigration in the UK and the aliens are packing teh hospitals and clinics for free healthcare. Oh wait, what is the other country that WANTS free healthcare for all and has massive, out of control illegal immigration?? Ths USA!! Ever wondered WHY we never trey "universal healthcare" in the USA.. with out of control illegal immigration, it's doomed to fail.

Also, let me add that our #1 enemies in Europe (the French) are also surging down here. I notice they are mostly young professional types. Why? Taxes in France are almost 50%, safety is non-existant, they have immigrant youth torching busses and killing people. Anyone who has a bit of education in France is coming down here.

So to whoever said want to go to live in Europe, suit yourself! While you go there, the Brits and French come here. I deal with them a lot these days, I KNOW what I am talking about.

ML

Old 01-15-2007, 05:47 AM

3 posts, read 6,078 times
is Fla all that? No ! I was born here 40+yrs ago and its nothing like it once was and its getting worse. The things people loved about the state are being paved to make room for strip malls, cookie cutter homes,ect.... I was reading about people complaining about the wildlfe in the yards(WTH) those critters were here long before them. Then we have no planning for the future- water? wheres the water going to come from? south Fla tried a few yrs ago to start getting drinking water from n.central Fla and the people here all voted NO! its not our problem those cities didn't plan ahead and that goes for Daytona area too. That city has known for yrs that saltwater is creeping into the area wells and yet they keep packing in more condo's on top of each other.
Pay scale, I tell people who just move here "see the palm trees?" your not up north anymore! I work for myself and its getting harder with all the companies who can under bid me due to havin illegals working for pennies on the dollar.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
As someone who has a son who has spent quite a bit of time living in France, may I say that Mary Lou's post about safety in France (not to mention the *supposed* enmity) might be a bit of an exaggeration? What happens in Paris is not necessarily what happens in the rest of France. It will be interesting to see who replaces Chirac.

I know that the immigrant issues are real, the violence continues, and there definitely are people from the UK and France seeking out greener pastures here, I've met them, just as I know of expatriate Americans looking for a better life outside the USA.
Funny to see the hoops people will jump through in their efforts to reach the other side of the fence.

Water is a genuine issue here and elsewhere in the United States, as are strip malls, cookie cutter homes, and displaced wildlife (ask the mountain lions in Colorado how they feel about all the development there).
The problems in Florida are a microcosm of the USA's genuine growth issues; what once was a fairly sleepy place is now feeling wake-up pains.
But as Firemed says, it comes and goes in cycles, Florida has had its past land booms (and busts) before.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:24 PM

38 posts, read 199,700 times
i dont think this discussion is silly. more people get heat stokes here then anywhere from jogging in the heat. water sports are fun. but up north there is alot of out door activities too. i personally am tired of the heat and i miss the seasons. maybe when im old and retired i will come back. i love the ocean but i miss lakes and rivers. i miss the woods and lg parks. fl is just so different. im ready for change. people are rude here! like u get stabbed in the back! who can u trust? noisy neighbors. no land. pricey homes. traffic. theres no more room here for anyone...

Old 02-15-2007, 10:53 AM

30 posts, read 238,498 times
Default Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry88 View Post
more people get heat stokes here then anywhere from jogging in the heat.

theres no more room here for anyone...
Well people should choose the right time to jog, Morning or late eveing, not in the middle of the day . I can't wait to get back to the schorching heat. I am so sick of snow and having to ware 3 layers of cloths just to go out.

There is not much to do in the winter, Cooped up in a house for 6 to 7 months, If you go out you stand a chance of getting hit by someone who has lived here all their lives and are susposed to know how to drive in snow and ice. I have lived in IN for 7 years. and frankly each winter I,am bored to tears and ready to tear my kids heads off. (kidding but they do get on my nerves, sometimes). They cant be out longer then 30 min at a time, Summers are different, they are not that bad. I am so sick of the hateful attitudes and the hustel and bustle to get things done, Just so they can go back and fix what they should have slowed down and done right in the first place.

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET HOME TO FL. Only 3 1/2 months to go.

As for it being over crowded well thats happining all over the US, and is getting worse everyday in all towns and cities It just cant be helped. If you move to a small town, say GA. within 2 to 3 years it may well be like the same town you left. What are you going to do then. Move to another small town and 2 to 3 years move again?

For all you big city folk and Northreners. I can't say that I am sorry you are leaving, but I will say "I am sorry that you could not you could not adjust to the Kicked back, easy going way of life". Life is to short, and to fill it with all the stress of cities and rushing around without enjoying it*shakes Head*.Yeh I know Miami is a Big city, but I blame the state of that city on Castro .
I dont have anything against Cuba I think its a Beautiful Country.

"people are rude here!" As to this statement ask some of the rude people where they are from or where they were born and raised. You might be surprised to find that 8 out of 10 are not from FL.

Anyway the more people ( Transplants) that move out of FL. The better the chances that things will get back to normal. Whatever normal might be.

You tell 'em sunrico90.

For those who Grumble about the USA, Move to another country and you will learn to be thankful for what you had here.

Last edited by Bert; 02-15-2007 at 11:15 AM..

Old 02-15-2007, 11:29 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
MaryLou,
If you move to Atlanta, San Antonio, NYC, LA, and other super large metro areas you might get the same feedback because the city main purpose is to support the tourism industry.

Um, I think tourism ranks much farther down the list of economic stalwarts than "main purpose" for Atlanta, San Antonio and NYC!

Old 02-15-2007, 03:47 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Um, I think tourism ranks much farther down the list of economic stalwarts than "main purpose" for Atlanta, San Antonio and NYC!
The large metro areas depends in the tourism as a source of income, actually the tourism industry generates millions of dollars for San Antonio, NYC, and Atlanta. The business conventions, parks, attractions, etc are key to the overall sustainment of the local economy.

21.3 Million Visited San Antonio in 2004
http://www.sanantoniocvb.com/local_p...rch%202005.pdf

Visitors (international and domestic) to New York City in 2006: 44 million (forecast)
Visitors (international and domestic) to New York City in 2005: 42.6 million
http://www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagePkey=57 (broken link)

Old 02-15-2007, 04:06 PM

232 posts, read 886,695 times
Sunrico I agree with you on the tourism. A prime example is I can remember after 9/11. All you heard about was NY trying to get their tourism back up to what it once was. It was advertised on TV and everyone was talking about. I saw an interview a year after with Rudy J that he was talking about the percentage of tourism that had dropped and what steps they were taking to increase their numbers.

You meet rude people EVERYWHERE. If I encounter someone rude then I just go to the next person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida