Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 08:41 AM

33 posts, read 33,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy
The panhandle, it is Florida the way it used to be. We moved to Fort Lauderdale in 1950 and I grew up there. It was a paradise, now it is a cesspool, in fact all of south Florida is a cesspool. The panhandle has clean air lots of room and less crowed, an all around nice place to live. We are moving in the next 12 months somewhere between Tallahassee and Bonifay probably the Chipley area.

Oh yeah Key Biscayne, Fisher Island Star Island, Hillsboro Mile, Galt Ocean Mile, Golden Beach all cesspools. Okay! Enjoy your trailer on the Redneck Riviera.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:20 AM

566 posts, read 2,059,235 times
Gosh...I live in a septic tank?? Oh goodness...forget router-rooters nor guns, better arm myself w/ Clorox and Lysol ...
You know, it all depends where we live here and the mental/education level of people that surround us - and the ones that don't know cause they haven't been exposed to this environment can learn, too. My neighborhood is in the most expensive & overpopulated area which is S.Florida. It's extemely clean, safe & a very multidiverse racial/culture community that can exist in Florida - and it remains a beautiful & very clean place, that tourists simply love. Nothing to do with this thread, but with the concerns on other posts about races & cultures... they mean absolutely nothing - there are even very, very white people that are considered a hispanic race (whatever that is??) & are under the white group because they are white, too. Also, so people know out there, believe it or not I have never been a crime victim in S.Fl in all my life here. I guess my point is that statistics are not reliable... and not everything smells, either.

Last edited by lulu; 06-30-2006 at 09:31 AM..

Old 06-30-2006, 11:40 AM

56 posts, read 324,556 times
Talking True, True!

Lulu,
This is sooo true. Funny to think that I didn't have any problems in Florida, but then I had lots of crime issues in NC. I know its probably coincidence. But I had my average car, locked, broken into twice in just a few months in Greensboro, NC. Guess Florida is home to me. I miss it and can't wait to move back. And I'm not much for snow and crazy cold temps as when I lived in upstate New York. I'd rather live somewhat near the ocean and travel to the mountains for vacation, then the other way around.

Just my opinion - a wonderful location would be anywhere in the Keys, surrounded by water and lots of snorkeling and scuba diving activities. But I couldn't see living there because of possible storm damage and insurance rates...anyways... living near the ocean would be a dream. I love being able to watch a sunrise and drive a couple hours to watch a sunset as I did when growing up in South Florida.

Overall, I'm a beach gal moving back to Florida with my new degree in Accounting. Just one in a new generation of accountants. I grew up in South Florida, so I'm a little biased. Grateful for anywhere within a few hours from what I consider to be my home.

That is one of the reasons why people love Florida ~ it can be a different world in each distinct location, having enough umph to please almost anyones unique taste. Florida is truly diverse.

Again, this is all in opinion as each and every person has a different perspective and experiences living in seperate areas, as well as overall differences as to what they enjoy in life.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:48 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Gator Girl and OcalaTom, please check your private messages.

Old 06-30-2006, 04:25 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,194,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaDolFan
Oh yeah Key Biscayne, Fisher Island Star Island, Hillsboro Mile, Galt Ocean Mile, Golden Beach all cesspools. Okay! Enjoy your trailer on the Redneck Riviera.
I Live on South Ocean Dr. I would not walk down the street with out my golf club and I also have a gun permit. I know of what I speak. I like bike riding but have almost given it up due to the heavy traffic, bad drivers as well as the crime. I actually had a guy try to knock me off my bike near my house. People delude themselves a bit because they drive around in their cars with the windows up, doors locked, music on, then return to their homes with security systems and locked doors.

They don't even know what goes on around them in their own communities, sort of, if I pretend it isn't happening it won't effect me. I don't know what the Trailer comment was to mean, I live in a house now that clocks in over a million and the place we are going to build up north will be a large multi acre property. The St. Joe company is building what are called Gentleman farms right now, I believe Disney is also involved, in the same general area with prices starting around a million. It is a better way of life in my opinion. Those areas you point out are little more then people hiding behind their doors in their condos and pretending they are living the good life. Have you ever walked down Galt Ocean Mile at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaDolFan
I should add to my other response to you, the post you are responding to was like five weeks ago, a few days after my second Generator was stolen. I have really had enough of South Florida and the bums sleeping in my yard and the bumper to bumper traffic with people who can't even drive a car.

Last edited by Marka; 07-01-2006 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 06-30-2006, 08:11 PM

566 posts, read 2,059,235 times
God only knows why some of us are crime victims and some are not, look at Laura having no incidents here but in N.C. yes...it's sad Macguy that you had to endure so much - I'd probably feel the same, if I had gone through all that & living in such fear, I'd probably be feeling lousy too. I know you are not a R.N. (this sounds better). I wish you a happy future with your new Home & neighborhood...I wish it were me, as I too search for openess & being able to breathe freely, but in the sense of not being so close to my neighbors. Like ole' Florida used to be.. I guess I'm fortunate that nothing has happened to me. I live in old 'Coral Gables' - S. part, known as the "City Beautiful" - it's on the web if anybody is curious though it's way too expensive now - personally I could not afford even my home right now - too overpriced, exploded in the past 2 years. It's full of trees, birds like cardinals/parrots, butterflies & all homes are all different & beautiful - no cookie cutters here & we have our own police dept., Even if I see someone suspicious & call them they come by in a flash. Quicker than I can say quick. There are also unmarked police cars that park around at night with tinted windows checking things out. We live in a strict code enforcement type of environment, too. We have our own art district, nice restaurants, a nice mall - there's everything here. I thank my lucky stars for living here & that's why we don't move while we are still in Miami. The neighbors are all from different places, but they are all nice, decent educated human beings - no loud music/people, nor barking dogs...one drives by at night & you'd swear at times nobody is home - very peaceful.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:55 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,581 times
I definately believe if you say your generator was stolen, etc but I just find it really hard to believe that would occur in an area of million$ homes! Miami Beach (mid beach!) CERTAINLY is not like that!!! Nor Bal Harbor, Golden Beach or Aventura for that matter!!! You must live on a "border" street-between the good neighborhood & bad? Definately strange to hear. Bad drivers, HELL yeah! But bums sleeping in your yard???!!! I've seen them sleeping on the beach (on the lounge chairs) but never in someone's yard!!!

Also-DEFINATELY nothing like that on Key Biscayne!!!!!! And ABSOLUTELY NOT on Fisher Island!!!!!! You can't even get ON the island without proper ID!!! (To get on the ferry-for those of you that don't know that you must take a ferry to get there!) I can't IMAGINE anything like that on Star Island-never been to that one but that's where the "famous" live so... Must admit I've never even heard of Hillsboro Mile (in Hillsboro?) or Galt Ocean Mile. Are these in Broward? Maybe THAT'S the problem...

Last edited by Marka; 07-01-2006 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 07-01-2006, 01:19 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,194,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum
I definately believe if you say your generator was stolen, etc but I just find it really hard to believe that would occur in an area of million$ homes! Miami Beach (mid beach!) CERTAINLY is not like that!!! Nor Bal Harbor, Golden Beach or Aventura for that matter!!! You must live on a "border" street-between the good neighborhood & bad? Definately strange to hear. Bad drivers, HELL yeah! But bums sleeping in your yard???!!! I've seen them sleeping on the beach (on the lounge chairs) but never in someone's yard!!!
It is in Broward. South Ocean Dr. is just east of 17 St. where it becomes A1A. My neighbor is David Cassidy from Partridge fame, not exactly a bad part of town, you would think. Actually the crime here is higher then in other neighborhoods. The biggest problem is we are right next to the public beach and people like to wander around and look at the homes. That news story you saw a few months ago where the homeless guy was beaten and another was killed in the downtown area one of the beatings was just a few hundred yards from my house.

You are describing areas that are nice because they have to show ID just to get into the neighborhood, I would call that an indictment of the area, just the fact you even have to live like that. What happens when you leave your little sanctuary? You can get car jacked or murdered just trying to buy some gas. I think us that live here have become very jaded and don't even hear the news any more when it is on. We just had company here from Germany. They just sat watching the news with their jaws hanging and can't believe we live here. One story after another of murders, rapes and robberies on a daily basis and all right here where we live. Hay, I know people are all different, there are people who like living in the heart of Manhattan or Paris.

The last time I was in France I went out of my way to avoid Paris, maybe that's just me. I just think life was not meant to be like this. I have lived in South Florida off and on for 55 years, I grew up here when it WAS a paradise, maybe that is the basis for my opinion, but like my father used to say "Nothing is forever", I am afraid I can't take it any more not even on a part time basis. It is certainly a different place then I used to call home.

I don't think new comers or people who never knew the difference can even imagine how nice this place once was. My term cesspool may have sounded excessive but in the perspective I am coming from it is what I see. I understand change, I'm not even resentful, but as my father said, "Nothing is forever" so it is sadly, at least for me, time to move on. With the crowing and over building, there are only so many roads and waterways, I honestly don't know what the future of this area is. Not a place to raise a family in my opinion.

One of the funniest things I always hear is from people I grew up with who have moved away and have return for some reason. I graduated from Stranahan High School and we have had a few reunions. You should hear the comments from people when they come back. Interesting, I have never known anyone who once they left came back here to live or retire.

I probably should not even be in this conversation, my perspectives are just too different from someone new to South Florida. The days I remember days are long over, it is just a shame what they have been replaced with.

Last edited by macguy; 07-01-2006 at 01:27 PM..

Old 07-01-2006, 05:56 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
You definitely have a right to be in this conversation. The things my sis in law have told me about the "old Florida" are very different then they are today. I love the state for it's beauty and the warm winters, but unfortunately I didn't get a chance to be there when it was the way you remember it being in your youth. Change can be a good thing and people wanting to live where it's beautiful and warm can be a good thing, too. But it seems that some have been disrepectful to nature and to the people who have lived there most of their lives.

Old 07-02-2006, 12:45 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,581 times
"Hay, I know people are all different, there are people who like living in the heart of Manhattan or Paris." macguy

I grew up in Manhattan so I guess it is indeed where you come from so to speak...But I hear ya! They are indeed overbuilding, there is way too much traffic, tons of bad drivers, & insurance & taxes are high... But the weather just can't be beat! And so Miami is our home at least for now. I've been here
12 years (actually only 1 in Miami & the other 11 Miami Beach)-13 if you count a year in Boca. Good luck with your move! You never know...maybe one day we'll be on the acreage next door!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida