Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 06:50 PM

232 posts, read 886,502 times

Advertisements

I am new to the site. After reading posts you guys and gals have gotten me in turmoil. My family and I have decided to move to Fl. from WV after me coercing my hubby for 15 years because I hate the cold. I had been looking in the SW area of Venice, North Port, Port Charlotte, Sarasota, Naples. I have read so many negative posts regarding FL especially this area that I am now reconsidering. I am a registered Nurse and my husband is retired/stay at home dad, and with 8 children. So what areas are good to raise a family??? North coast or South coast? I did not want to go up to far( past Orlando due to the weather getting colder) If I did not see another day below 60 it would be fine by me.
Lets see what I have read so far....correct me if I am wrong
The taxes are to high( but what about state tax etc)
The crime rate is to high
The schools are not excellent
No jobs
mortgages to high
So what is positive??? My father lived in Lakeland but has since past away.
This is going to be a big move and we are undecided on the best way to go about this.(Cant just drive back and forth with 8 children in tow ranging from 14 to 10months) we would go insane and cant afford to continuously fly down. Considered renting until we find a place we want to call home. Any insight would be great...
How about gated communities?? They make them seem so appealing online when you read about them.
I wont go into details of particulars we are looking for because most families are looking for the same thing as far as good schools, safe community etc. that is a no brainer. THANK YOU for anyone who finds the time to help in our dilemma now since reading all these posts!!LOL. I have friends who moved to north coast near nasa and love it. Is it really cheaper on that side but I heard not as nice?? Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 07:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Have you looked on MLS for homes and their price range? Do you have a massive downpayment?

Yes, you are a nurse and can definitely get a job in Florida. But the pay, even for nurses, is not great. You have eight kids? Southwest Florida is not very family friendly. And one paycheck will not cut it.

Unless you have a huge savings account or inheritance, I would pass on this.

Have you started preliminary research such as the MLS, or locals newspapers for jobs?

Warm weather is great but consider what you will do when you have to relocate them due to a hurricane threat.

You definitely need to have a lot of money to move eight kids to southwest Florida.

We have not even discussed the culture of the area. It is not West Virginia. Mostly the rich, immigrants, snowbirds or druggies live there.

Reconsider.

Or at least get the local newspapers online.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:33 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,082 times
Nurses are always wanted in Florida! Try the Central Florida area...cities and counties surrounding Orlando. I know someone currently in another state who is relocating (again) down here and she already has 3 job offers -- she's an RN with several years experience.

Yes, insurance is going to be high, but higher if you're near the coast. Generally speaking, south Florida is quite a lot more expensive than Central or North Florida.

Check out realtor.com for the price differences of homes in the areas you think you're interested in. But for your own wellbeing, visit all these areas before making your decision. The longer you can stay, the more realistic "feel" you'll have for any place. There's a lot of difference in being on vacation ANYWHERE than living there full time.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:12 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
My niece is a nurse in Fla. and she makes a very decent living. She used to be a contracted out nurse and moved to different areas and was paid very well. But since she is now married, she has a permanent job. Gidge is right~there's always a need for people in the medical field no matter where they go.

I'm not sure about your financial situation. I'm guessing that your husband gets social security and that each child would then qualify to receive SS, too. If you've checked out the real estate and the cost of insurance and taxes and feel you can afford it, go for it and good luck to you.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:20 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,959 times
10 Years ago, My neighbor in West Boca was earning over 100K a year as a critical care nurse.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:19 AM

232 posts, read 886,502 times
Thanks for the posts. Hiknapster you stated SW FL not very kid friendly. so.....what area is? That is why I posted. Surely there is somewhere in FL that is nice to live its a big state!!! FL TN NANA so what areas are better than SW? I have not really researched the North or north side because I had planned on moving SW but now reconsidering. (Thanks to you guys). Yea that is why we have decided to rent until we find a place we like.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:53 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Have you looked on MLS for homes and their price range? Do you have a massive downpayment?

Yes, you are a nurse and can definitely get a job in Florida. But the pay, even for nurses, is not great. You have eight kids? Southwest Florida is not very family friendly. And one paycheck will not cut it.

Unless you have a huge savings account or inheritance, I would pass on this.

Have you started preliminary research such as the MLS, or locals newspapers for jobs?

Warm weather is great but consider what you will do when you have to relocate them due to a hurricane threat.

You definitely need to have a lot of money to move eight kids to southwest Florida.

We have not even discussed the culture of the area. It is not West Virginia. Mostly the rich, immigrants, snowbirds or druggies live there.

Reconsider.

Or at least get the local newspapers online.

I agree with hiknapster on SW Fla., as I lived there for many years. It it uber expensive and most of these are small cities. I grew up in the Tampa Bay area, and I would highly recommend somewhere here - much larger, and definitely more family friendly. And more opportunities as well. This includes Tampa, Brandon, St. Pete, Clearwater, and all the smaller towns nearby. Also, you have Pasco County just to the north (where I live) which is really part of this area. Just an opinion from a native!

Old 01-22-2007, 06:06 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedav View Post
Thanks for the posts. Hiknapster you stated SW FL not very kid friendly. so.....what area is? That is why I posted. Surely there is somewhere in FL that is nice to live its a big state!!! FL TN NANA so what areas are better than SW? I have not really researched the North or north side because I had planned on moving SW but now reconsidering. (Thanks to you guys). Yea that is why we have decided to rent until we find a place we like.

I won't say that any area is better than SW Florida because each of us has our own preferences. (Actually, I really do like most of SW FL -- Sanibel/Captiva, Anna Maria Island, Sarasota, etc. I love the gulf side -- but that's for leisure time!) Housing there is a lot more expensive than Central Florida. Central Florida takes in areas from Tampa to the Ocala or maybe Gainesville and go east from those areas. Maybe New Smyrna, Daytona, Ormond Beach if you want on the coast? There are nice areas almost anywhere...and the opposites too. St. Augustine is a really neat town -- so much history. Orlando/Orange County is planning a medical "corridor" in the Lake Nona area -- lots of new medical facilities, research labs, medical school are in the works. Very good hospitals in the area. Good luck on finding your niche!

Old 01-22-2007, 06:58 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
The wife of one of the guys at work works in Pcola 8 days per month 12 hours shifts for $48K, graduated about six months ago. Excellent money and if you get with civil service or GOV job is better...

Old 01-23-2007, 06:03 AM

495 posts, read 2,328,506 times
Check out the Gainesville area.

4 hospitals there. lots of job opps.

It does get cold in the winter but almost always cold in the morning and sunny in the day, in the 60s even on a cold day. Cold overcast rainy days are rare. Snow is not a factor either.

It is a university town so crime is high due to the demographics but if you live in some of the small towns outside Gainesville like Alachua or Archer or Micanopy or even in the burbs or rural countryside you avoid almost all of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida