Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:43 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I know someone will want me to back up the prior statement on FL's ranking in healthcare-so here it is. This site actually is kind to FL.

FOXNews.com - How States Rank on Health Care - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News
And here is another view on the same rankings.

"State Health Care Rankings
June 14, 2007 in HC Statistics

New rankings are available detailing the quality of care received in different states. The Agency for Healthcare Quality and Research (AHQR) gives some State Snapshots based on National Healthcare Quality Report. My home state of Wisconsin is ranked #1 according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (”State is No. 1…“). The Commonwealth Fund also has a report ranking each state. The Commonwealth Fund Rankings are as follows:

Top 10: HI, IA, NH, VT, ME, RI, CT, MA, WI, SD.
Bottom 10: OK, MS, TX, AR, NV, LA, KY, WV, FL, GA.
How seriously should these rankings be taken? In my opinion, not seriously at all.

Let us say that each American individual living in country X would have a health level of x. If an individual would move to another state j, then their health level would be (x + aj). Ideally, states would by ranking by ordering them from the ones with the highest level of aj to the lowest. Empirically, however, we only view (x + aj). Thus, some states may have poorer, less educated, non-English speaking residents who would have worse health regardless of which state they are in. Thus, scoring well on the dimension “Cancer deaths per 100,000 population per year,” which is measured by the AHQR’s quality report , does not tell the reader whether treatment is of a high quality or if the state’s population is just healthier to begin with."

Old 07-31-2008, 05:46 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
And here is another view on the same rankings.

"State Health Care Rankings
June 14, 2007 in HC Statistics

New rankings are available detailing the quality of care received in different states. The Agency for Healthcare Quality and Research (AHQR) gives some State Snapshots based on National Healthcare Quality Report. My home state of Wisconsin is ranked #1 according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (”State is No. 1…“). The Commonwealth Fund also has a report ranking each state. The Commonwealth Fund Rankings are as follows:

Top 10: HI, IA, NH, VT, ME, RI, CT, MA, WI, SD.
Bottom 10: OK, MS, TX, AR, NV, LA, KY, WV, FL, GA.
How seriously should these rankings be taken? In my opinion, not seriously at all.

Let us say that each American individual living in country X would have a health level of x. If an individual would move to another state j, then their health level would be (x + aj). Ideally, states would by ranking by ordering them from the ones with the highest level of aj to the lowest. Empirically, however, we only view (x + aj). Thus, some states may have poorer, less educated, non-English speaking residents who would have worse health regardless of which state they are in. Thus, scoring well on the dimension “Cancer deaths per 100,000 population per year,” which is measured by the AHQR’s quality report , does not tell the reader whether treatment is of a high quality or if the state’s population is just healthier to begin with."
However, if (x+a) - (x+aj) = x + a + J, your hypothesis becomes void.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,166 times
I am just wondering what the parents of these people would think of their negative views of seniors and how they view their own parent's worth.
Also what are their plans for when they grow old and how should us younger people talk about them in 20years.

Nobody can go backwards,old age is before us all,if we survive.
Scary,ain't it.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:17 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
When I think of people moving to our state, I don't think about their age at all. What I consider is the impact they may have on our natural resources.

No matter their age, will they respect the natural beauty around them, or will they douse their home and yard with poisons because they're afraid of our Florida bugs? Will they help to support our local wildlife, or will they tear out all the native vegetation and try to grow plants that don't do well here and don't support the wildlife?

We have some serious issues in Florida (water shortage anyone? ) and a growing population will exacerbate those issues. It's a free country and anyone can move to Florida (and I welcome them, in case anyone is wondering ), but I hope our new arrivals will be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

But their age? I hadn't even thought about it .

Old 08-01-2008, 07:23 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
When I think of people moving to our state, I don't think about their age at all. What I consider is the impact they may have on our natural resources.

No matter their age, will they respect the natural beauty around them, or will they douse their home and yard with poisons because they're afraid of our Florida bugs? Will they help to support our local wildlife, or will they tear out all the native vegetation and try to grow plants that don't do well here and don't support the wildlife?

We have some serious issues in Florida (water shortage anyone? ) and a growing population will exacerbate those issues. It's a free country and anyone can move to Florida (and I welcome them, in case anyone is wondering ), but I hope our new arrivals will be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

But their age? I hadn't even thought about it .
I tend to agree Riveree.....when I think of the Florida I knew back in the 60's (sorry OP it's when my OLD grandparents moved here) and see what it's like today, it think of the song:
They've paved Paradise and Put up a Parking Lot.

It's like we welcomed people with open arms, they wanted to move here for the slower pace and now it's turned into a kid on a sugar high. We used to joke that you have to go north to get to the south. It's no longer a joke.
You get down to South Florida it's like another NYC. I know people who move here to Orlando and constantly compare it unfavorably to NYC or where ever they are from......Hello!!! Why did you move here then????

I'll be retiring in a few years to an unnamed state to our north, I'll respect their culture and not try to change it. Not after I've watched happen here.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:34 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
I tend to agree Riveree.....when I think of the Florida I knew back in the 60's (sorry OP it's when my OLD grandparents moved here) and see what it's like today, it think of the song:
They've paved Paradise and Put up a Parking Lot.

It's like we welcomed people with open arms, they wanted to move here for the slower pace and now it's turned into a kid on a sugar high. We used to joke that you have to go north to get to the south. It's no longer a joke.
You get down to South Florida it's like another NYC. I know people who move here to Orlando and constantly compare it unfavorably to NYC or where ever they are from......Hello!!! Why did you move here then????

I'll be retiring in a few years to an unnamed state to our north, I'll respect their culture and not try to change it. Not after I've watched happen here.
Did you ever think that possibly South and Central Florida never really had a culture of their own? No matter how many transplants move to cities like Chicago, San Francisco, New York, Boston, and the such, their culture never changes because it is firmly planted.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:01 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Did you ever think that possibly South and Central Florida never really had a culture of their own? No matter how many transplants move to cities like Chicago, San Francisco, New York, Boston, and the such, their culture never changes because it is firmly planted.

I think they had the southern roots but as the rush of people came in, they either adapted to the new, moved to a different area or stayed put and complained

I can only truly speak for Orlando because this is where I've experienced the changes....
I always think of Orlando being blindsighted. Here was this sleepy little town literally in the middle of nowhere and Disney showed up. So Orlando has only been the size it has for not even 30 years, while Chicago SanFran, NYC and Boston all have histories that go back a couple hundred years. That being a city...not a town. Now all these transplants think that Orlando should be like where they left.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:09 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Quote:
I think they had the southern roots but as the rush of people came in, they either adapted to the new, moved to a different area or stayed put and complained

I can only truly speak for Orlando because this is where I've experienced the changes....
I always think of Orlando being blindsighted. Here was this sleepy little town literally in the middle of nowhere and Disney showed up. So Orlando has only been the size it has for not even 30 years, while Chicago SanFran, NYC and Boston all have histories that go back a couple hundred years. That being a city...not a town. Now all these transplants think that Orlando should be like where they left.
Great analysis.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 AM

944 posts, read 3,848,700 times
I haven't read all the posts, but many of the changes everyone is talking about have happened elsewhere. When I went back to upstate NY this summer I was disappointed by all of the boom cars and rude people. There was tons of cursing in public and it seemed everyone had decided to get some crappy tattoo. A friend of mine recently went to visit a town 3 hours north of Toronto (where people swerve to miss bears) and the same thing is happening there. I will hopefully be living overseas within a year or two, but I'm not sure some of this hasn't spread. A guy in St. Pete was shot the other day because he told a 15 year old to slow down. The 15 year old, in a stolen car, stopped, backed up, and shot him.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:21 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default Why?

Quote:

That being a city...not a town. Now all these transplants think that Orlando should be like where they left.

When you can simply stay where you are and have the REAL thing? That is certainly how I feel. You cannot replace an ORIGINAL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida