Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:15 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Florida is many places. What do you want??? I came here from Massachusetts and if you wanted City and nightlife then you lived in or near Boston. If you wanted a bucolic rural setting then you lived in the western part of the state. The same is true of Florida. Jobs, excitement, big city? Jacksonville or Orlando. City life with a little glitz thrown in? West Palm Beach. City life with a little danger? Miami Tommy Bahama/Jimmy Buffet life? The Keys. Crazy, crowded, Joe The Tourist life? South Florida. Leisure but not isolated? The Treasure Coast. A college town feel? Gainesville. To lump all of Florida together and say it's a terrible place to live is narrow minded to say the least.
Great post, verobeach. Florida has something for everyone who wants to live here.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:06 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
As a native Floridian, Florida is the worst place I've lived. I was glad to leave.

People always talk about how great the weather is, If you like 100 degrees and 90-100% humidity then it's the place for you.

If you like violent thunderstorms EVERY day during the spring, summer, and fall, it's the place for you.

If you like paying $1200 a month for rent and want to make $8 an hour IF you can find work, it's the place for you.

If you like paying thousands in homeowners insurance, auto insurance, and property taxes, it's the place for you.

If you like high crime, rude, and old people, it's the place for you.

That's just the start...
Gets too cold in the winter, rains too much. Can't be 100 degrees out AND rain, you realize that, right?

I pay half that in rent, and make more than that an hour.

Insurance? Affordable, don't have the others since I don't own property.

Crime? For all the crime we're supposed to have, somehow it's not happened to me too often...maybe it's the people you hang with?

Where are all these old people? Not in the venues I go to. Unless :shock: I'M old! Maybe I am!

Old 10-25-2008, 05:31 PM

72 posts, read 162,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Florida is many places. What do you want??? I came here from Massachusetts and if you wanted City and nightlife then you lived in or near Boston. If you wanted a bucolic rural setting then you lived in the western part of the state. The same is true of Florida. Jobs, excitement, big city? Jacksonville or Orlando. City life with a little glitz thrown in? West Palm Beach. City life with a little danger? Miami Tommy Bahama/Jimmy Buffet life? The Keys. Crazy, crowded, Joe The Tourist life? South Florida. Leisure but not isolated? The Treasure Coast. A college town feel? Gainesville. To lump all of Florida together and say it's a terrible place to live is narrow minded to say the least.
For some of us, Florida is a terrible place to live, no matter where we are, for various and sometimes complicated reasons. I know not everyone will understand, but the bottom line is, no matter where I go in the state, here I am, still in Florida.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrine View Post
For some of us, Florida is a terrible place to live, no matter where we are, for various and sometimes complicated reasons. I know not everyone will understand, but the bottom line is, no matter where I go in the state, here I am, still in Florida.
Wherever you go...well, there you are.

Who's to say that you don't bring your problems WITH you by approaching things in a negative manner?

Old 10-26-2008, 02:54 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

Who's to say that you don't bring your problems WITH you by approaching things in a negative manner?
Where's a clapping emoticon when you need one.... great post, TK!

Old 10-26-2008, 03:13 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default Being ANYWHERE in Florida

Quote:

is still going to mean my daughters are thousands of miles away from me. Being anywhere in Florida is not going to give me back my REAL 4 Seasons.

I should be happy they are this far away? I should be happy with year round summer when I didn't even like 3 months of summer up north?

Now tell me how I am bringing my "problems" with me?

Old 10-26-2008, 03:17 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,035 times
After 700 posts I think most of us should know Florida is not for you why someone would try and bicker with you over that is beyond me.

I hope you get to go home so you can finally be happy good luck.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
is still going to mean my daughters are thousands of miles away from me. Being anywhere in Florida is not going to give me back my REAL 4 Seasons.

I should be happy they are this far away? I should be happy with year round summer when I didn't even like 3 months of summer up north?

Now tell me how I am bringing my "problems" with me?
A person can make the best of their situation no matter WHERE they are. Geographically...or in life.

Martin Luther King, Jr. once said, "If you're a street sweeper, be the BEST street sweeper you can be."

If I was "stuck" in the "frozen North", I could still be happy with where I was. Because I try to look at the Sunny Side of Life. (thanks, Monty Python)

Old 10-26-2008, 05:38 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
I voted no. Florida is an excellent place to live and a great many people have found that out or are going to find that out. I never thought it was a very nice place to visit when I was a youth because when we went there to visit with relatives, I always came home with a sunburn. I recall many times saying that I would never want to live in Florida because it was too hot to go outside there. Well, as luck would have it, I did live in FL, worked outside a great deal of that time. In the 29 years I was there, I made the best of it. That's what reasonable people do when they aren't where they want to be.

It wasn't Florida's fault that I didn't want to stay there. I got past the sunburn issue in very short order. People who were raised in snow and loved it, will always want to return to it. Snow just wasn't going to come to FL the way I remembered it from my youth. My need for a four season climate outweighed the health benefits of living in FL. Yes, there are health benefits to living in FL. Doctors in northern states are very aware of that and continue to suggest people move there for their health. That was my case. And I lived in FL without a single flareup. Two weeks after I moved away from FL, the health issues returned. My decision. The four seasons are far more important to me than to live in FL.

For the record, I never paid more than $400 in rent or mortgage payments right up to 2001. I still own - and rent out - a 5-acre horse farm complete with fenced pastures, 12-stall horse barn, 3-car garage, 4/2 house built in 1996 for under $1,000 a month. It's occupied and I have a waiting list in the event my tenants ever decide to leave. Oh, and those few, rare times that I might show up down there, they put me - and my 2 dogs - up in their guest room for the duration. Took them up on that in January of 2007 for a week.

There are deals and bargains everywhere. All you have to do is look for them and they will present themselves to you.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:01 PM

72 posts, read 162,238 times
Quote:

I, of course, am the one to say whether or not that is true, and it really is very simple. The opinion that I formulated all by myself is that I do not LIKE Florida, period (I cannot get away from things unique to Florida unless I GET OUT), and on top of that, MY experiences with FLORIDA have been NEGATIVE.

Yes, I make the best of things and I know I am a very blessed person, but even a prisoner can do the same, still able to formulate her own opinions about her surroundings, and desire FREEDOM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida