Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:42 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,302 times

Advertisements

The stupidity in parking lots happens in a lot of places besides Florida. What I've noticed in general here in Orlando is people who seem to believe they have the right of way when making a right turn on red. When someone has the green arrow, and are making a U-turn, THEY have the right of way, so just just wait to make your right turn on red until they're gone!
I've been lucky and haven't much red light running.

One good thing I've seen in some of the grocery store parking lots here is they've in those bumper/divider things in the parking spaces so that people can just cut willy nilly across the parking spaces instead of using the lanes. It's sucks if you want to pull through to the next space and be facing forward to get out but that's better than having nuts causing fender benders in the parking lot.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:53 AM

158 posts, read 158,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
It's pretty amazing how I come from Dallas, a city triple the size of Orlando and suburbs, and I didn't witness a fraction of the stupid drivers there. I am in transportation here and believe me I see everything and it is simply mindboggling. The majority of the bad drivers are spanish, just stating what I see. BTW suped-up Honda Civics with rice burner mufflers are getting old and stop pretending you're in the Fast and Furious cuz nobody cares.
Hey, I just call it like I see it, and you're RIGHT.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:00 PM

158 posts, read 158,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
I saw 3 car salesman in a dealer car on OBT and they were emergency braking at 40 mph in heavy traffic and they would do it right in front of people trying to get them to hit them. I pulled up to them at a redlight and pulled my digi cam out and took a pic of them and they got pissed at that and got behind me and started honking.
That is ridiculous. People just dont seem to be very normal in Orlando.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:34 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Florida would probably benefit from another retail giant coming in (such as Krogers), but Publix are pretty good, in general. They have the monopoly largely because the consumer chooses them, but I do wish that we had more choice, in that sense.
Kroger tried and failed in Florida in the 80's.

People were too tied up in Publix and Albertsons to shop at Kroger. Plus, one of the major reasons Kroger couldn't compete is that they are a union store and paid more to their employees then there stores were making.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:37 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretlady4719 View Post

It's the same in at least some parts of Alabama Groceries may be higher in FL than in northern states, but they're lower than they are here. For example, milk went to just over $6 a gallon here during the time period when milk prices shot up so high. Thank goodness it finally came back down a bit - but it's still $4.25-4.65 a gallon here (compared to $2.89 or so in S FL at Publix). I couldn't believe it, when we first got here & I saw how high food prices were. I honestly don't know how families w/ kids around here put decent meals on their table.

Add 9 1/2% sales tax on that too. So, while FL prices might seem high to someone from up north, they're not as bad as some other places.... We have a few different stores in town - we're in a small city, not out in the boonies - so there's not a complete lack of competition, just none of the decent stores here....
The Kroger in my neighborhood in Hendersonville, TN has been selling milk for $1.99 a gallon.

Groceries have always been cheaper in Metro-Nashville then anywhere I've bought them when I lived in Florida, including Tampa, Orlando, and Ft. Myers.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:22 PM

776 posts, read 1,673,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Hollywood has this exact setup and Ft. Lauderdale, South Beach and Delray have something similar. So Cal is also mostly dominated by a privately owned coast.
Hollywood boardwalk is awesome...Deerfield also has about the nicest 1/2 mile stretch with unobstructed ocean views. Delray has those high sand dunes that block the views and the breeze. It would have been nice to have a long interconnected boardwalk on the sand though in other areas cause the climate is so hot and humid here so the beach breeze makes working out or just being outside so much more enjoyable from April into November. Odd that in SoCal where the boardwalks dominate the beach to me is a bit too cold more often than not and inland even a few blocks is so much more pleasant most of the time

Old 05-28-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
It's pretty amazing how I come from Dallas, a city triple the size of Orlando and suburbs, and I didn't witness a fraction of the stupid drivers there. I am in transportation here and believe me I see everything and it is simply mindboggling. The majority of the bad drivers are spanish, just stating what I see. BTW suped-up Honda Civics with rice burner mufflers are getting old and stop pretending you're in the Fast and Furious cuz nobody cares.
Orlando was a very different town 12-15 years ago...Few honks, civility ruled on the road, it had much more of a small town middle America feel even though it was far from a small town even then...Traffic was horrible on clogged roads yet to be widened and this was before the beltway looping around town.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
bash EVERY area of the country. The only Utopia is FLORIDA. If you leave here, you will come running back ASAP.

You hear it over and over again, especially from certain posters who will remain nameless.

Don't know what Match was talking about. Many here sound like they've traveled a lot. I've been to CA many,many times and it is incredible. That the large cities have a very high cost of living that puts most folks into debt slavery I don't think anyone disputes that. But the opportunities, the diverse scenery, the climate compared to Florida? Come on get real...but to each his own

Old 05-28-2009, 02:51 PM

569 posts, read 1,669,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Don't know what Match was talking about. Many here sound like they've traveled a lot. I've been to CA many,many times and it is incredible. That the large cities have a very high cost of living that puts most folks into debt slavery I don't think anyone disputes that. But the opportunities, the diverse scenery, the climate compared to Florida? Come on get real...but to each his own
Let's see...CA is the 7th largest economy in the world and the United States would probably be in dire straits without it. It has just about every industry and opportunity you can think of as well as being the most progressive. Add to the fact it has beautiful mountains, desert, ocean, and unlimited scenery, whatever you could want. Where is Florida again?

Old 05-28-2009, 02:59 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default Although I am from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Let's see...CA is the 7th largest economy in the world and the United States would probably be in dire straits without it. It has just about every industry and opportunity you can think of as well as being the most progressive. Add to the fact it has beautiful mountains, desert, ocean, and unlimited scenery, whatever you could want. Where is Florida again?
I will give kuddos where kuddos are due, and California does warrant that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida