Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 04:41 PM

464 posts, read 1,741,776 times

Advertisements

Ive been reading in another thread, that, this year is a hot and prolonged summer for most of Florida . Im moving to Florida from Illinois soon, and im wondering how extreme and prolonged high temperatures/high humidity/intense sunlight affects certain things . Particularly :

A homes vinyl siding, asphalt roof shingles, a cars exterior paint, a cars black vinyl interior , a cars tires, and road surfaces. Are there other things which get destroyed under such extreme conditions when its months on end ?

Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 05:00 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Car interiors get really hot, so make sure you have a windshield shade, and tinted windows are a big plus. Roads, tires, etc are fine. Don't wash your car in the direct sun-that will kill the paint.

The humidity can allow mold to grow in areas that never dry out, like patios. Siding seems to do okay, but can bleach out over time.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:02 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Your window blinds will get brittle in time and fall apart. And the paint on your car if you don`t shade it or use some type of UV protected will fade. And any rubber or plastic on your car like bumpers, door handles etc will become brittle.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:07 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default YELLOW Mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Car interiors get really hot, so make sure you have a windshield shade, and tinted windows are a big plus. Roads, tires, etc are fine. Don't wash your car in the direct sun-that will kill the paint.

The humidity can allow mold to grow in areas that never dry out, like patios. Siding seems to do okay, but can bleach out over time.
The mold I am used to seeing is black. I had yellow mold growing on my lanai. It started when all these rains came. Killed it with good old fashioned clorox bleach. Gross. I also have huge mushrooms now growing on my front lawn.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post

Do you know how dark motorists in Florida are allowed tint their windows ? Can you go Limo-black which is very very dark tint on all but the windshield ?

Old 08-29-2008, 08:36 PM

41 posts, read 96,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
Ive been reading in another thread, that, this year is a hot and prolonged summer for most of Florida . Im moving to Florida from Illinois soon, and im wondering how extreme and prolonged high temperatures/high humidity/intense sunlight affects certain things . Particularly :

A homes vinyl siding, asphalt roof shingles, a cars exterior paint, a cars black vinyl interior , a cars tires, and road surfaces. Are there other things which get destroyed under such extreme conditions when its months on end ?

Thanks much.
How we do, I'd stay away from black cars and black leather interior . Just too hot! I havent really seen the sun damage the paint on cars (atleast not newer model cars), but I have seen license plates colors lighten.

As far as a hot and prolonged summer, they are always like this, it just seems to be staying hotter longer than say, back a decade or so ago. I havent really felt cold temps in a couple yrs, except for a few times. Last year, winter was down right disappointing.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3po View Post
How we do, I'd stay away from black cars and black leather interior . Just too hot! I havent really seen the sun damage the paint on cars (atleast not newer model cars), but I have seen license plates colors lighten.

As far as a hot and prolonged summer, they are always like this, it just seems to be staying hotter longer than say, back a decade or so ago. I havent really felt cold temps in a couple yrs, except for a few times. Last year, winter was down right disappointing.
REPLY: What was most of the winter like last year in your area , and was it any different in the Panhandle which is where im moving to ? Id be real interested to see what the past few years have been like for Florida (for each month) on temperatures ; do you know of a website that would show this info ? Does it cool off much at night ? Thanks.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:58 AM

I would think the panhandle would be just as hot as Orlando, but not sure. Yes, it ools down at night, but sometimes it is still so sticky and humid outside, that when I walk my dogs at night, my palms are sticky from being outside.

I'd imagine that your winters will be cooler than the ones in Orlando though.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3po View Post

REPLY: Heres what the high and low temps. were last January for Orlando ; looks like it got warm during the days and relatively cool most nights. : http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/climat/MCOjan08.txt (broken link) . When you refer to 'cold' temps....what are you referring to just out of curiousity ? Also, is there such a thing as reflective sheets of material you can put in your windows during the summer months and remove during the winter months (simular to what you do with car windshields) ? Thanks.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:40 AM

To me, cold temps are in the 40's and below. 50's at night is awesome, and highs in the low 70's would be perfect for me!

You could probably do something to keep your temps cooler in your house by different types of windows, covers, etc... but not sure which one would do the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida