Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:24 PM

395 posts, read 1,541,104 times

Advertisements

I think I will get many years of enjoyment in my new place. I just found out that since my son will be staying here in Florida with his uncle and grandmother my car insurance for our one car will go way down. My rent is going up, but not by a whole lot. We will be spending a lot less on gas and I recently found out that we can qualify for the Lifeline phone assistance and have a house phone for only one dollar a month. I can downgrade my cell phone service (that is all I have here). I will have to use a laundramat to wash clothes, but that is okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 07:28 PM

17 posts, read 48,672 times
Great choice! I lived in OKC for 7 years in Putnam Heights. I had a huge 1920s airplane bungalow purchased for $76K with $20K in repairs - just a few years ago! I absolutely loved living there. It has more culture and restaurants than you would ever know about from the outside, different nature experiences in every corner of the state, and it's cheaper than dirt. You'll certainly be able to afford a house there.

My favorite nature park was the Wichita National Forest & Medicine Park in the SW part of the state. It has some strange healing energy there that's hard to describe, and I normally don't believe in that sort of thing. Florida's energy has been depleted. You'll enjoy a much higher quality of life than Florida, all the way around.

I'm jealous!!!

Last edited by Trina42; 09-04-2008 at 07:41 PM..

Old 09-04-2008, 09:31 PM

OMG, your post opened the flood gate of Great Memories for my family. Since you'll be living downtown...

If you're at all into Asian food, you MUST go to Classen & 23rd. I've traveled the world since living in OKC, and haven't found anything better than this! There's a little sandwich shop at 2426 N Classen Blvd called "Bahn Mi Ba Le" which was a drive-up dairy store in the 30s. The old milk bottle is still on top of the building! You can get Vietnamese sandwiches for around $2.50, buy 9 get 1 free. Across the street is one of the country's largest Vietnamese shops, complete with lit palm trees! All of the Asian restaurants on Classen & 23rd are fantastic. Don't let anyone tell you they're unclean. I ate there for 7 years with no problem!

Keep your eye on the Myriad Gardens & Crystal Bridge in the heart of downtown. There's always something going on, from the holiday lights to the summer arts festivals. THE BEST fireworks show I've seen - and I've been to China - were here. I LOVE walking barefoot on the soft grass there...

Did I tell you yet that I'm jealous of your move?????

Old 09-04-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trina42 View Post
OMG, your post opened the flood gate of Great Memories for my family. Since you'll be living downtown...

If you're at all into Asian food, you MUST go to Classen & 23rd. I've traveled the world since living in OKC, and haven't found anything better than this! There's a little sandwich shop at 2426 N Classen Blvd called "Bahn Mi Ba Le" which was a drive-up dairy store in the 30s. The old milk bottle is still on top of the building! You can get Vietnamese sandwiches for around $2.50, buy 9 get 1 free. Across the street is one of the country's largest Vietnamese shops, complete with lit palm trees! All of the Asian restaurants on Classen & 23rd are fantastic. Don't let anyone tell you they're unclean. I ate there for 7 years with no problem!

Keep your eye on the Myriad Gardens & Crystal Bridge in the heart of downtown. There's always something going on, from the holiday lights to the summer arts festivals. THE BEST fireworks show I've seen - and I've been to China - were here. I LOVE walking barefoot on the soft grass there...

Did I tell you yet that I'm jealous of your move?????
Well, don't be too jealous.Nothing in our lives is ever easy. It will be difficult at first as I have to find a job as a certified nursing assistant once I get there. I faxed an application to The Childrens Center in Bethany and am waiting for them to process it and get back to me. I really hope I get that job as they have great benefits and are close to where we will be living.We will be in the Northwest side of town (from what I can tell we will be near Bethany and in the Putnam County School district).

I wish that I could say that we will be moving with all my debts paid off and lots of money saved but we are not. The sad fact is that we have not been able to save anything here in Florida, even though our rent is cheap. We are lower income and my husband is disabled.Our transportation costs are large even with only a mid sized car. Our daughter has severe autism and needs to go back to a three times a week therapy schedule. Our car broke down several times over the last several monthes and we had to reduce her to once a week. We will be packing what we can in our car, shipping one or two boxes and that is it. We will be looking for good reasonable used furniture as soon as we sign our lease.

We finally realized that we were never going to save up the kind of money that we would rather move with, and that unless we move we will never be able to have much of a savings.So we decided to just do it. We are not kidding ourselves that it will be easy, but I do not think it will take me long to find a decent job with benefits.

Oh and I do like asian food and we plan on going to as much as OKC has to offer when I get a job and we can relax a bit.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:22 PM

Now that you've explained your situation, I can see how it isn't the best. You make me so grateful for what I have! I can't imagine living day to day with the difficulties that you're faced with.

But I have to say, you've picked the best place to succeed from where you are now! OKC is CHEAP and very friendly to the disabled, so your husband will receive the best care possible. Even better than FL. I know for a fact that the area needs more people with your skills. Even if the Bethany situation doesn't work out - which it probably will - so many others want and need YOU to work for them. Either way, you and your family are going to do great there!

Lady, I really admire your courage! I see why God didn't pick me to deal with the same challenges you have....

Last edited by Trina42; 09-04-2008 at 11:13 PM..

Old 09-04-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trina42 View Post
Now that you've explained your situation, I can see how it isn't the best. You make me so grateful for what I have! I can't imagine living day to day with the difficulties that you're faced with.

But I have to say, you've picked the best place to succeed from where you are now! OKC is CHEAP and very friendly to the disabled, so your husband will receive the best care possible. Even better than FL. I know for a fact that the area needs more people with your skills. Even if the Bethany situation doesn't work out - which it probably will - so many others want and need YOU to work for them. Either way, you and your family are going to do great there!

Lady, I really admire your courage! I see why God didn't pick me to deal with the same challenges you have....
Thanks again. It was either OKC or Tulsa. We were originally interested in Tulsa. Then it was a kind of toss up between them. Hubby basically said pick one it is up to you.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:32 PM

Here's the OKC/Tulsa argument from a neutral position. I'm a native Floridian, born in Gainesville. Hubby is a native Oklahoman, from Del City. We met at UF (Go Gators!!!) in 1990 when he was finishing his PhD in music... Fast forward to a time when we're married & productive members of society....

I worked for Williams Communications, with branches in OKC and Tulsa. As a non-native, I was distantly curious about the Tulsa/OKC rivalry. As a neutral member of both cities, I saw how OKC is the superior city IN THE 21ST CENTURY. It wasn't the case last century, especially in the aftermath of the race riots of the 30s...which are still relevant in Tulsa today...UGGGHHH!

If you don't care, either one works. But OKC is still cheaper, and culturally better in my opinion. Tulsa is still hung up on the racial issue, which is so unappealing for a part-African chick like me...I keep forgetting the racial component is important. I'm a third black, hispanic, and German....I look a lot like Obama...Hubby is a total white dude from Del City, OK.

So I'd still pick OKC! As would hubby...

Last edited by Trina42; 09-05-2008 at 12:10 AM..

Old 09-06-2008, 01:54 PM

159 posts, read 456,425 times
Good luch to you Florida Mom! I know you and your family will be fine! I believe you made the right decision to leave Florida. It's not a good place to raise children and it's too expensive!

Old 09-06-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia1113 View Post
Good luch to you Florida Mom! I know you and your family will be fine! I believe you made the right decision to leave Florida. It's not a good place to raise children and it's too expensive!
Thanks!

Old 09-06-2008, 08:39 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,791,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridamom1970 View Post
Thanks!
Hey Floridamom1970, we're waitin' for ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida