Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:00 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,097,753 times

Advertisements

I live in Philadelphia, formerly Washington DC and before that a resident of North Carolina and Florida....and always at the very least in a crowded, traffic filled suburb. I'm officially through with all of that and ready to live someplace quieter, more affordable and simpler. Can't believe I'm rethinking Florida, but realize that the state isn't all a traffic-choked, overdeveloped culture-less suburban hell-hole. Are there any places left that defy that?

A few caveats are that I am looking for a somewhat liberal town and a place where there seems to be interest in the downtown area from a development/redevelopment perspective. I would be conceivably opening a small organic food business and would be obviously wanting to be in a place where people care about organic/local food and the benefits of buying it. WalMart-centric towns are immediately disqualified.

Additionally a low housing cost from a buyer's perspective is a must. My leftover equity from my home sale (after paying cash for my new home/condo in FL) would fund my new business. Consequently anything in "metro" South Florida, Ft Myers/Naples, Jacksonville, Orlando or Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater probably won't work for me. I have some ideas but don't want to sway the responses. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 07:17 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,087,356 times
That's what happens to so many people--they leave Florida, idealizing some other place up north (or wherever) in their minds, and then once their gone for awhile they realize that "hey, it really wasn't so bad there."

Old 09-22-2008, 07:22 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,681,443 times
Default Not if you lived there for over half a century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
That's what happens to so many people--they leave Florida, idealizing some other place up north (or wherever) in their minds, and then once their gone for awhile they realize that "hey, it really wasn't so bad there."
You have seen many, many changes in that amount of time. So, if you say you want to go back, you REALLY want to go back. Especially if you didn't want to move in the first place.

Your rationalization doesn't work.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:27 PM

90 posts, read 193,890 times
i would head to nc if i were you, specifically asheville, especially in your business. hands down winner. if you have to come back to florida, i would suggest northern fla. but you cannot do any better in your business and what you are looking for than asheville nc.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:28 PM

I was responding to the OP, who says he/she wants to move back--the grass was not greener.

Also, I was searching the archives there was someone on here who moved to New Hampshire from Fla. -- she kept saying she wanted cold weather. Well, she moved and tried and it and couldn't stand the cold. So she moved back to Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
You have seen many, many changes in that amount of time. So, if you say you want to go back, you REALLY want to go back. Especially if you didn't want to move in the first place.

Your rationalization doesn't work.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:28 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,584,180 times
Tallahassee or Gainesville come to mind, the major universities bring alot of culture to the area and orgainic product loving individuals.
One moment please...
Gainesville Florida

Old 09-22-2008, 07:38 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,681,443 times
Default New Hampshire is very extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I was responding to the OP, who says he/she wants to move back--the grass was not greener.

Also, I was searching the archives there was someone on here who moved to New Hampshire from Fla. -- she kept saying she wanted cold weather. Well, she moved and tried and it and couldn't stand the cold. So she moved back to Florida.
for someone raised in Florida. She went TOO FAR North. There are a lot of states in between Florida and New Hampshire.

The opposite is also true. Raised up North and Florida is too extreme.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:39 PM

I don't know about the politics, but check out Lakeland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I live in Philadelphia, formerly Washington DC and before that a resident of North Carolina and Florida....and always at the very least in a crowded, traffic filled suburb. I'm officially through with all of that and ready to live someplace quieter, more affordable and simpler. Can't believe I'm rethinking Florida, but realize that the state isn't all a traffic-choked, overdeveloped culture-less suburban hell-hole. Are there any places left that defy that?

A few caveats are that I am looking for a somewhat liberal town and a place where there seems to be interest in the downtown area from a development/redevelopment perspective. I would be conceivably opening a small organic food business and would be obviously wanting to be in a place where people care about organic/local food and the benefits of buying it. WalMart-centric towns are immediately disqualified.

Additionally a low housing cost from a buyer's perspective is a must. My leftover equity from my home sale (after paying cash for my new home/condo in FL) would fund my new business. Consequently anything in "metro" South Florida, Ft Myers/Naples, Jacksonville, Orlando or Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater probably won't work for me. I have some ideas but don't want to sway the responses. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:43 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,970,725 times
What about the Islands off St Pete, Madeira beach, Treasure Island etc.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:35 PM

17,565 posts, read 39,217,632 times
The big problem is, the places where there would be more demand for the organic food, already HAS a lot of that, and would be more competition (i.e. Sarasota/Bradenton area).

We currently live in Lakeland - we have a great downtown development agency AND this town could really use a place with organic food - but not sure if this meets your needs. Lakeland is a pretty town, lots of small colleges, and not a tourist mecca. Cost of living is a little lower here than the coasts. You might give it a look.

Another poster mentioned Gainesville or Tallahassee - those might be good choices for you - college towns are always a good choice for this type business.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida