Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 6,587 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! My husband and I are relocating VERY soon to the North Miami/Hialeah area, can anyone tell me what these area's are like? Currently we live in Lancaster City, PA and I'm ready for a slower-paced, quieter area to live in. We've been browsing through real estate agencies online, even though his company will be setting us up with a specific company, but it's hard to get a feel for the area. We're very excited to move, but since we have no family or friends in Miami it's really scary too. Any advice would be extremely helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2006, 12:16 PM

46 posts, read 194,029 times
Hiiiiiiiiiiii,

I live just north of N Miami and I gotta say do not move there. It is a bad area all around and lots of crime. Not only that but the traffic is awful and the people are very mean. Andddddd Hialeah is way worse. It is nearly all Hispanic and the Hispanics I know do not even want to go near there. If you must move to South Florida you may want to try Broward County like Ft Lauderdale or it's surrounding cities. Then again it's too much anywhere down here we are dying to get out. If you need to know more about any specific areas just let me know. I know them all. Good Luck!

Old 07-11-2006, 12:21 PM

894 posts, read 4,348,806 times
I agree with Deana and North Miami/Hialeah is definately not slower paced. I don't know your ethnicity, but all of Hialeah is hispanic and will not welcome you if you do not speak spanish. North Miami has pockets of areas that are better than others. I think people as a whole, from the Palm Beach County line down are rude and not courteous. Is there a specific reason you chose this area? Deana, Broward is no better than where you are. Been here 26 years and hence my screen name!!!

Old 07-11-2006, 11:57 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,931 times
North Miami slow paced???!!! HIALEAH? QUIET???!!! Dear Lord!!! Sorry-don't mean to freak you, but, uh, this is MIAMI!!! 95 (as in Interstate) will make you want to tear your hair out! Sorry-ya gotta have a sense of humor to take it & I only drive 20 mins to/from work during OFF peak hours!!! Hialeah is mostly spanish. (Look it up on city-data! 90% hispanic!) In fact, spanish is ALMOST-NOT QUITE!!! , the main language down here. In the North Miami/North Miami Beach area (we are in an unincorporated area basically between the two) there are mostly black/Haitians so you will hear alot of Creole. I disagree about the crime. It's a CITY so it's no Mayberry but it's safe in these areas. I mean, I wouldn't necessarily want to wander around by myself at night, but daytime is fine and certainly driving is fine-well, Miami DOES have some of the worst/rudest drivers around, but like I say-have a sense of humor, drive defensively & you'll be fine! But slow paced? Quiet? Hialeah? There needs to be a smily for laughing!

Old 07-12-2006, 08:12 AM

4 posts, read 21,588 times
Default DOn't move to Hialeah!!!!

Hi! Hialeah is definitely NOT quiet! North Maimi is not the palce either. THere is lots of crime, shootings, robberies, thefts! Hialeah is mainly made up of Hispanics but not very educated people if you know what I mean. I hate saying it bebcause I am half Cuban but it is the truth! It is extremely congested! it looks slummy! Plus insurance rates in Florida are skyrocketting & that is if you're lucky to find an insurance company that wants to cover you. Taxes are ridiculously high as well! Definitely not that place to buy a home!
IF you decide to move here anyways, I can tell you that you'll regret it like I have!
I am now relocating to either Georgia or Texas!!!!
Good luck! Hope it turns out well for you!

Old 07-12-2006, 08:48 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,373 times
Kimesco1, either this post is a joke, or you are in for an enormous shock. I can't think of any place more quiet than Lancaster County, and I can think of few places that will be more tumultuous than N. Miami/Hialeah. You say your husband's company is setting you up with a real estate company; I strongly suggest you get in touch with them immediately and find out what they are going to suggest for you. Do it now, while there still may be time for you to reconsider the move.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 11,547 times
Default hialean and ...

For all the things had been said,I will add that hispanic fobic people shouldn't move to Hialeah or Miami area.It's certain that 99% people in Hialeah speak Spanish and 75% of them are bilingual ,so they will be able too communicate with you.Crime is below national range and property prices are skyrocketing.
I've lived here for 12 years and can tell you that North Fort Lauderdale,like Plantation or Weston would make a much better place for you and are just 30 minutes away from Hialeah.Hispanic people from Hialeah will welcome you ,like myself,just I think you should have a look to these places before moving.
Hope it help!

Old 07-12-2006, 11:46 AM

33 posts, read 33,361 times
The only good thing about Hialeah is they got Treasure Island--best strip joint in town. Live near the beach in S. Florida and you'll love it. It can be done even on a moderate income here, trust me. Live in west Broward if you like screamin' kids and minivans. Live in west Dade if you like kids screaming in Spanish. Live in N. Miami if you like the gangsta scene.

FYI Hialeah was majority white until around 1980. N. Miami, N. Miami beach, even Carol City and Opa-Locka had large white populations until the 1970's. I've met a number of whites (some even "redneck") that grew up in what is now Little Havana before it became Little Havana in the 1960's. The white flight out of Dade County has been tremendous--it went from close to 90% white in 1960 to almost 90% minority today.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:17 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,931 times
Yeah-I think this post must've been a joke since the originator never responded. Unless of course we scared them away...

Old 07-12-2006, 07:35 PM

894 posts, read 4,348,806 times
I was thinking the same thing, that we all scared 'em away!

My husband grew up in Hialeah in the 60's and 70's is an all american Italian/German boy They used to be able to leave their doors and windows open.

Quote:
The only good thing about Hialeah is they got Treasure Island--best strip joint in town. Live near the beach in S. Florida and you'll love it. It can be done even on a moderate income here, trust me. Live in west Broward if you like screamin' kids and minivans. Live in west Dade if you like kids screaming in Spanish. Live in N. Miami if you like the gangsta scene.

Well I wouldn't know about Treasure Island, but they do have some awesome cuban restaurants. You basically got it right on all other counts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida