Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:58 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times

Advertisements

I was just watching the weather channel. They just showed a pix of the snow coverend LIE. I am SO JEALOUS. The people on the NY board were talking about how nice it feels (imagine that?) and that MAYBE this year they will finally have a White Christmas!

It is now 72 degrees on my lanai. I don't feel like putting up Christmas decorations at all. I wish I could cover up the doors to my lanai so I cannot see outside, let alone go outside.

This is my second Christmas here. It isn't getting better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 07:41 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I was just watching the weather channel. They just showed a pix of the snow coverend LIE. I am SO JEALOUS. The people on the NY board were talking about how nice it feels (imagine that?) and that MAYBE this year they will finally have a White Christmas!

It is now 72 degrees on my lanai. I don't feel like putting up Christmas decorations at all. I wish I could cover up the doors to my lanai so I cannot see outside, let alone go outside.

This is my second Christmas here. It isn't getting better.
This really could be the year the whole Northeast gets a White Christmas. Winter has come early this year to the entire east coast, thus the unusually cool temps all the way down to FL.

We've got snow on the ground and a wind chill of 6 degrees right now in Pittsburgh. lol! Feels like Christmas!

Maybe FL will get a Christmas freeze this year like in 1989. 25 degrees in Orlando on Christmas morning, if I remember correctly!

Old 12-07-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.g.harpool View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I think that the Tampa Bay area received several inches of snow back in the blizzard in 1977.
Correct, but more like a coating to an inch. I was only 5 years old and living in Lakeland at the time, but still remember it like it was yesterday. It certainly was enough to cover the grass and cars. Here's the history of all FL snowfalls with a good pic of the Tampa snow in '77. List of snow events in Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.g.harpool View Post
I'm currently in the Northeast (Pittsburgh) for grad school, and CAN'T WAIT to come back to 70 and 80 degree high temps for winter break, and even more so, to move back to FL permanently! This whole idea of "four seasons" is extremely overrated in my view, but to each his own. I, personally, would be perfectly happy never experiencing weather under 60 degrees again in my entire life. And the choice between a heat index of 115 or a negative wind chill is an extremely easy one for me!
LOL, it's been pretty nippy up here, hasn't it? I moved to Pittsburgh in 2006, and Nov-Dec has been quite mild and virtually snowless during my first 2 years. In 2006, I remember it pushing 60 degrees many days in December. Well, that has changed this year. lol

Old 12-07-2008, 08:37 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
This really could be the year the whole Northeast gets a White Christmas. Winter has come early this year to the entire east coast, thus the unusually cool temps all the way down to FL.

We've got snow on the ground and a wind chill of 6 degrees right now in Pittsburgh. lol! Feels like Christmas!

Maybe FL will get a Christmas freeze this year like in 1989. 25 degrees in Orlando on Christmas morning, if I remember correctly!

It was that cold in Orlando? wow. I don't think us in the NYC area will get a White Christmas. The news was talking about all this snow we were supposed to get, and got nothing on the ground. Snowed for about 2 hours but nothing sticked. We really don't get snow in this area much at all.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It was that cold in Orlando? wow.
Actually, it was even colder than that on January 20, 1985. Orlando recorded it's coldest morning on record at 19 degrees, with a record low maximum temp of 36 degrees on the same day. Yes, that's right, a day with a low temp of 19 and a high of 36, in Orlando, FL. And my teacher wouldn't let us play football outside at recess that day!

I'd love to see the posts on this board if there was ever a day like that again. lol

Old 12-07-2008, 10:21 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Amazing the differences there and here

Quote:
Actually, it was even colder than that on January 20, 1985. Orlando recorded it's coldest morning on record at 19 degrees, with a record low maximum temp of 36 degrees on the same day. Yes, that's right, a day with a low temp of 19 and a high of 36, in Orlando, FL. And my teacher wouldn't let us play football outside at recess that day!

I'd love to see the posts on this board if there was ever a day like that again. lol
I am a TA. If the temps were 33 degrees and over, the kids, LITTLE kids, went outside for recess and we DID have indoor gyms on LI for even elementary schools. We just bundled them up in jackets, hats, gloves, and went outside. Not play FOOTBALL in the cold? lol My daughters played soccer outside in November. Yes, sometimes it snowed during the game. Forget what the temperature was. They just wore leggings and a jacket under their soccer uniform. Unless the field got too dangerous (muddy and slippery), they played. I cannot imagine calling football, epecially teenage level football, because of just COLD.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:17 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
I live in beautiful Pasco County. I couldn't wait for my first warm winter. I was repeatedly told that seasons do not change here, but guess what, they do! Every morning and every evening temperatures drop below 60. This morning, frozen dew covered the grass and I had ice on my wind shield. I wear a coat when I walk my dogs at night and see my breath. I also noticed many, many trees of the northern variety, with their leaves in gold, orange and red. Again, was told that leaves never change here. I am happy to find that yes, there are seasonal changes here, but I could do without winter, lol!
Whoever told you that doesn't really know what they are talking about. It does get cold in FL, and you can get temps in the 20s a few times a year.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:24 PM

122 posts, read 168,695 times
Quote:
LOL, it's been pretty nippy up here, hasn't it? I moved to Pittsburgh in 2006, and Nov-Dec has been quite mild and virtually snowless during my first 2 years. In 2006, I remember it pushing 60 degrees many days in December. Well, that has changed this year. lol
Wow, an entire Wikipedia article dedicated to snow events in Florida! That encyclopedia really DOES cover everything I was just a baby during the '89 snow event...

I've heard similar stories from other people! You know, in a way, I think this is probably a good thing for me, even as miserable as I am. I will have the perspective of what a true Northeastern winter is like. Even a mild Pennsylvania winter would have made me appreciate South Florida's climate so much more, but this type of stuff makes me fully, fully understand just why there was such a massive diaspora from the Midwest and Northeast in the last half of the 20th Century (economic reasons aside!) My parents are people who fled from the Rust Belt, so if anything I have something else I can bond with them about, as I'm wearing flip flops in January back in Fort Lauderdale

Old 12-07-2008, 03:43 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
I know in 2003 in January we got a cold snap when I was in the Melbourne area and it got down to 27 degrees and snow flurries off the coast of Cocoa Beach. The wind chills were 5-10 above. I parked in front of the space heater for a while.

It's 22 here right now, snowing lightly on and off, and windy as heck making the wind chill 10 degrees. Doesn't bother me, I'm inside with the woodstove blazing, fireplace crackling, and watching a Christmas movie with my family. It's great!

Old 12-07-2008, 03:49 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Whoever told you that doesn't really know what they are talking about. It does get cold in FL, and you can get temps in the 20s a few times a year.
LOL, I guess you haven't gone back to the multitude of threads centered on "the neverending summers" and "nothing changes in Florida" themes. I really thought that while it would get cooler, that "really cold" would never become a reality unless I lived in northern Florida. I see now that among a lot of other biased opinions on this forum, the ones that talked about trees never changing or endless summers were incorrect. I am so loving that there are changes, even if they are small changes, and so many of the exaggerations posted here from time to time have been proven wrong (at least by my own experiences). I guess it still comes down to people's own realities of things and their own tolerances as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida