Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Even at the height of the market, you could have bought a home with more square footage, full brick, with a basement, and 4 bedrooms, 2.5 ba, for around $300K up north.
I beg to differ. I sold my New Jersey 3/2.5 1600 s/f townhome, no basement, for more than $300K at the height of the market. Maybe in Ohio or western PA someplace you could have bought the home you are describing for $300K, but not along the Northeast corridor. A house like that in the town I lived in would have run minimum $450, and that would be for an older home with smaller bedrooms in a less desirable neighborhood. For a desirable neighborhood, you'd be looking at easily $550K, more likely closer to $600K and up for a 4/2.5. And that still wouldn't have been for a newer home--more like a 1950-1975 era house. In much of northern VA a 3/2 townhouse would have run over $400K (and still does in many areas) same with much of CT and Westchester County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 12:18 PM

54 posts, read 154,349 times
The Citrus County Chronicle had the following headlines today, "Area Foreclosures Down", "Sales Slightly Up In Citrus County". At some point this will be turned around, possibly this is a small start.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:39 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,642 times
wow thanks. i was hoping to catch a deal before the end is out.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:07 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Well, put it this way, I've lived here for over 10 years and saw house prices skyrocket through the roof (no pun intended) like some of you did, with some of these homes being way too overpriced, barely 1500 sq. ft. ranch house for all most $300K, if not that. Now, it's worth less than half that. Even at the height of the market, you could have bought a home with more square footage, full brick, with a basement, and 4 bedrooms, 2.5 ba, for around $300K up north. And now, it's also worth about half that, but it seems you still get more home for the money. Down here, prices are still dropping, while they seem to be now flattening out up north. I do hope it recovers in a year or two because that's when I plan to sell my home down here in Orlando.

"Up North" at the height of the market for 300k? As a previous poster wrote, MAYBE in Dayton, OH (where the outlying areas are actually quite nice, but the urban core reeling from depopulation), but not in the Northeast corridor.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:27 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
"Up North" at the height of the market for 300k? As a previous poster wrote, MAYBE in Dayton, OH (where the outlying areas are actually quite nice, but the urban core reeling from depopulation), but not in the Northeast corridor.
Look around. Check some ads. See what you get at various places up north for 300K. Then compare to what you get in Fl.

Here is just one example:

Homes For Sale - Real Estate Listings | CENTURY 21 Property Details (http://www.century21.com/property/index.jsp?id=34680540 - broken link)

Old 03-17-2009, 08:31 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
Are you talking about Upstate NY or the parts of LI that NO ONE wants to live in? 1500sf in NY is like a mini mansion. Lets keep it real people, stop living in a dream. I was looking for a house for at least 4 years before I started to look in florida. You could get a 2bedroom tutor for about 650K at the height. That same house is now selling for about 450-500K, still very expensive. The homes are old not big and barely any property. You may have seen a house that was priced that way, but I'm sure it needed complete renovations that would run you a 100k or more. You may not like florida, but lets not go so far as to say that the houses here in NY are nicer. The houses in Great neck and Manhasset LI are nicer, but you will pay 700K or more for those houses and about 14k in taxes. Let's get the picture out of peoples minds that NYC has as much affordable housing as Florida. People who buy homes here usually do it with their whole family so everyone takes a piece of the mortgage otherwise no one could do it. Realities are realities. Yes, when times are good, you have more work opportunities, but that is just because this is NY. When times were good Florida also had more opportunities. You are more likely to be able to own a home in Florida (a family of 4) than in NY. To say that you can get a better house here for cheaper is rediculous.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:36 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Are you talking about Upstate NY or the parts of LI that NO ONE wants to live in? 1500sf in NY is like a mini mansion. Lets keep it real people, stop living in a dream. I was looking for a house for at least 4 years before I started to look in florida. You could get a 2bedroom tutor for about 650K at the height. That same house is now selling for about 450-500K, still very expensive. The homes are old not big and barely any property. You may have seen a house that was priced that way, but I'm sure it needed complete renovations that would run you a 100k or more. You may not like florida, but lets not go so far as to say that the houses here in NY are nicer. The houses in Great neck and Manhasset LI are nicer, but you will pay 700K or more for those houses and about 14k in taxes. Let's get the picture out of peoples minds that NYC has as much affordable housing as Florida. People who buy homes here usually do it with their whole family so everyone takes a piece of the mortgage otherwise no one could do it. Realities are realities. Yes, when times are good, you have more work opportunities, but that is just because this is NY. When times were good Florida also had more opportunities. You are more likely to be able to own a home in Florida (a family of 4) than in NY. To say that you can get a better house here for cheaper is rediculous.
Another great post from Chelsea - thanks for always telling it like it is. This forum needs more posters like you to balance things out here!

Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 AM

You profile says you are from the Midwest so, I'm going to give you the benifit of the doubt. I live here and I looked and the cheapest house that I found - that I could actually move into with little work was 485K and it had no garage. My standards aren't that high! I was looking for a 3 bedroom with a garage and a yard, within reasonable distance to the city, not a 2 hour trip. That really isn't convenient to me. After almost 4 years of looking in NY and then 1 month of look in Florida, I completely stopped looking in NY, because it is somewhat depressing to have to go back to looking at the old tired homes in NY - TO ME.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:26 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
I think part of the problem is assuming that metro New York City is indicative of typical northern prices, or that Alachua or Citrus Counties are typical of Florida. There's a wide span in both states-- and when you throw in a comparison of land prices in, say, Vinton Co. OH to Key West or Miami, it edges into the incredibly silly.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:59 AM

You are absolutely right! If you ask people who live and work upstate, they will tell you the homes are expensive. That is because people are commuting from there to the city and buying everything up making the prices go up. People commute from PA, driving those prices up. At what point do you say the quality of life is NONE when you are spending so much time on the train?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida