Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:59 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
How are all my friends and former debate opponents? I am moving back to FL again... go ahead make fun. It's for a job I was offered. How are things in FL lately? I haven't been on CD in a long while.
Good luck my friend, do what you have to do to support your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 05:30 PM

436 posts, read 1,089,262 times
NC has been losing a lot of jobs to Mexico. A lot of factory jobs, and things of that nature. But NC, in the real estate department, is in no way near as bad as FL. People are staying there and not moving in and out like they do in FL, resulting in so many foreclosures, vacant houses for sale, etc. It is more stable there, there is no question about that.

I dont know that many people in NC that are out of work, so I'm not exactly sure why it is that high. Maybe all the finance jobs in Charlotte b/c of all the banks?
\
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Let's see.... North Carolina Unemployment rate is 9.3%, which I believe is actually higher than Florida's.

If Florida has that god awful "tourism and real estate economy" that is contributing to ITS woes, than what accounts for the "stable" economy of North Carolina, which is NOT tourist and real estate based ..... being worse?

Old 03-17-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
NC Stable?? I dont think so HOP....our economy here is awful and our unemployment is higher than yours, and Wachovia/Wells is now going to be making some more announcements here in the up coming weeks....so with that being said, "grass isnt always greener on the other side" so one of the dads on the car rider line told me this morning at school..they moved from Weston thinking it was UTOPIA here and found out real quick it isnt...

Im going to give u the same advice people seem to give on this board: you cant get a feel for living here, until u do?? how do u know you will Love living here??

Im surprised with all the Floridians here that thre are actually people left in Florida...its unreal
LOL, I've lived in NC. I have mentioned that several times. Nc will rebound much quicker than FL will, and if you dont believe that, you are mistaken. FL is harder hit than NC, and FL will rebound, but it will take longer here.

As far as someone from Weston moving there and finding it out it isnt "utopia", ........live and learn. There must have been a reason he left the beloved Weston. There is something that they didnt like about it, so they left for NC. Being that he is probably from the Northeast anyhow as arre most from S FL, (or their foreign), maybe NC wasnt for them, and a place like S FL fits them better. No place is perfect.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:42 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
NC has been losing a lot of jobs to Mexico. A lot of factory jobs, and things of that nature. But NC, in the real estate department, is in no way near as bad as FL. People are staying there and not moving in and out like they do in FL, resulting in so many foreclosures, vacant houses for sale, etc. It is more stable there, there is no question about that.

I dont know that many people in NC that are out of work, so I'm not exactly sure why it is that high. Maybe all the finance jobs in Charlotte b/c of all the banks?
\
sorry Hop but again I have to disagree with you on the real estate thing, people are walking away from their houses as ALL OF our values have gone down tremendously and with the economy here the way it is, u are going to see alot more forclosures and short sales...however Yes u are right about the Finance and Banking Portion, I can tell u about 40% of my development alone are with and BofA, with alot of the concentration of people who work for and Wachovia alone is getting rid of I cant tell you even how many as dh works there, its very gloomy there and they have been very hush hush about it....but Wells is very sneaky and now trying to implement some policy's...with that being said 65% of the people work for 1 of the 2 major banks, and well at the end of the day, it will get worse here before it gets better...I know so many of the recruiters here have let staff go as there Just isnt alot of work and well everyone does the same thing...dh interviewed with a company with 500 RESUMES on his desk...they have no idea what to do with all these people...and since I live here for the last 2 years, and my dh is in IT Management its awful all over the place....

Old 03-17-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
LOL, I've lived in NC. I have mentioned that several times. Nc will rebound much quicker than FL will, and if you dont believe that, you are mistaken. FL is harder hit than NC, and FL will rebound, but it will take longer here.

As far as someone from Weston moving there and finding it out it isnt "utopia", ........live and learn. There must have been a reason he left the beloved Weston. There is something that they didnt like about it, so they left for NC. Being that he is probably from the Northeast anyhow as arre most from S FL, (or their foreign), maybe NC wasnt for them, and a place like S FL fits them better. No place is perfect.
it was called a job transfer that he had no choice or he would loose his job the guy I was mentioning...people think its UTOPIA HERE also, and ive been saying it now NO PLACE IS PERFECT, and there will be things that you like about somewhere and others dont and visa versa....however for US Nc just isnt a fit for us, where florida might be....so with that in mind there isnt anything special here except for Northerners and Floridians who think the grass is greener on the side, and unfortuantely for some they are now realizing that, that isnt the case...and yes u are right, NC might not be for everyone and florida might fit their needs and again visa versa...

Old 03-17-2009, 05:51 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
How are all my friends and former debate opponents? I am moving back to FL again... go ahead make fun. It's for a job I was offered. How are things in FL lately? I haven't been on CD in a long while.
A job is one thing.

Weather is another.

And in today's economy, being picky about weather is quite futile.

We had to move to SWFL due to employment & it never was based on weather. I just hated the weather & the area of SWFL in general. That being said, we couldn't out of FL move UNTIL a new job was present. Bills have to be paid. A person can suck up the weather be it cold or hot if bills are being paid.

Make sure to research, research, research the opportunity.

Best of luck & healthy travels.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:19 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
ChrisA-where are you moving to?

Old 03-17-2009, 07:34 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
I know what you mean TC. I had to move back to FL from TX a few weeks ago because of finances, miss my family and the business of Dallas, but I don't miss the weather LOL! I will try again in a few years when things get better. Total shock from Dallas to Orlando area, it seems too slow over here. Alot of people must have moved or I got used to the pace of Dallas. Anyway good luck!

Old 03-17-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
sorry Hop but again I have to disagree with you on the real estate thing, people are walking away from their houses as ALL OF our values have gone down tremendously and with the economy here the way it is, u are going to see alot more forclosures and short sales...however Yes u are right about the Finance and Banking Portion, I can tell u about 40% of my development alone are with and BofA, with alot of the concentration of people who work for and Wachovia alone is getting rid of I cant tell you even how many as dh works there, its very gloomy there and they have been very hush hush about it....but Wells is very sneaky and now trying to implement some policy's...with that being said 65% of the people work for 1 of the 2 major banks, and well at the end of the day, it will get worse here before it gets better...I know so many of the recruiters here have let staff go as there Just isnt alot of work and well everyone does the same thing...dh interviewed with a company with 500 RESUMES on his desk...they have no idea what to do with all these people...and since I live here for the last 2 years, and my dh is in IT Management its awful all over the place....
BerryJuice,

If you think, in any way, that NC foreclosures and the real estate situation in NC are even remotely close to how bad it is in FL, you are really, really, really mistaken.

We are 2nd in the nation in foreclosures. Behind California. And the only reason why we are number 2 and not number 1 is b/c there are twice as many people in California, thus, many more homes. But per capita, I can bet we are worse, putting us in first place in foreclosures.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:29 PM

Hop by no means am I suggesting its worse than florida or even close to it, but the bottom line is, like myself people will have to walk away because they have no choice and there are too many people looking for work then there is work here, so my point was, charlotte isnt all that big, and the fact that it will get worse before it gets better here, when it does hit rock bottom because it hasnt yet, people wont know what to do...and the Forclosures will get bad again we are alot smaller than florida in a whole, so there isnt too much of a comparision...but again for a smaller city, with these problems its just going to be awful that is all I was saying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida