Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 04:40 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,370,302 times

Advertisements

I'm in quick driving distance to the beach, good enough for me. I won't have to evacuate in the event of a hurricane, I don't have to worry about eroding salt air, and I don't have tourists parking in front of my house. To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 05:03 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,752,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I'm in quick driving distance to the beach, good enough for me. I won't have to evacuate in the event of a hurricane, I don't have to worry about eroding salt air, and I don't have tourists parking in front of my house. To each their own.
I think the original poster was referring to the beach in general. Many move to Florida for the beach even if they live 30 miles away. That is still very close and considered living at the beach if you are living in say Tennessee. In fact, most anywhere in Florida you are not much more then an 2 hours or less from a beach. Heck, people in Alabama think nothing of running down to the gulf for the day.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:21 PM

Gotcha... In that case, I LOVE the beach!

Old 06-01-2009, 06:34 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,532,721 times
Lived in South Melbourne Beach back in the 70's for 5-6 years. Just love how the car gets sand blasted every day and the salt mist in the morning help rust it away. And the sand it gets into every thing...and if you leave your windows open for that tropical breeze everything gets sticky and crusty and starts to mold.All the metal in the house quickly corrodes. The shingles on the house don't last as long being on the beach.And the yard has to be special all the plants have to be salt tolerant. The condenser for the A/C system life span is cut in half. So instead of 12-18 years for a A/C system maybe 8-10 years....And we have not even gotten to the fun part.... Hurricanes and high water... That's just a home and 1 car. Now if you own another car ~ boat ~ and other toys just multiply the problems......another item is your home owners insurance and "TAXES" and then the ocassional boat people that come to our shores.... and the bales of pot that wash up on your shore and the DEA and it's crew for clean up.....O" the joys of living in Florida and on the beach.... Surfs up "Gidget"

Old 06-01-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Lived in South Melbourne Beach back in the 70's for 5-6 years. Just love how the car gets sand blasted every day and the salt mist in the morning help rust it away. And the sand it gets into every thing...and if you leave your windows open for that tropical breeze everything gets sticky and crusty and starts to mold.All the metal in the house quickly corrodes. The shingles on the house don't last as long being on the beach.And the yard has to be special all the plants have to be salt tolerant. The condenser for the A/C system life span is cut in half. So instead of 12-18 years for a A/C system maybe 8-10 years....And we have not even gotten to the fun part.... Hurricanes and high water... That's just a home and 1 car. Now if you own another car ~ boat ~ and other toys just multiply the problems......another item is your home owners insurance and "TAXES" and then the ocassional boat people that come to our shores.... and the bales of pot that wash up on your shore and the DEA and it's crew for clean up.....O" the joys of living in Florida and on the beach.... Surfs up "Gidget"
So your answer is you got tired of the beach. I am not sure any of the rest of that had much to do with the question.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:24 PM

717 posts, read 2,809,546 times
When we moved to Florida, we chose Orlando over Tampa because with 4 kids we wanted to do the theme park stuff. We did that--and after a while, that loses some of its thrill--but we still enjoy the parks when we go--we just don't go nearly as often anymore. The kids are now older-2 in college and 2 in HS--so everyone is living a totally different life than we were 9 years ago.

I moved here from PA--and there are things I miss--like fall, mountains, historical buildings, etc.--but I do not miss winter one little tiny bit. I spent weeks exploring VA, GA, NC--which have "it all", but I just don't like those grey skies for weeks on end. I finally decided to search Florida for the closest thing to what I'm looking for. Being in Orlando, I'm not that far from either coast--but I just don't head over very often unless it's for the space shuttle. I've always preferred the gulf coast beaches over the ocean.

I went to school down in Miami area in 2007--and always enjoyed going to the beach for a long walk. Just spent a week in Naples and felt like I was in heaven. Stopped in Sarasota on my way home. And today I have just returned from exploring Dunedin, Safety Harbor, Palm Harbor, etc.

Mango23 expressed beautifully what I feel when I am at the beach--but I don't have the chance to go "all the time". As one poster above said, each person is different--but I am happy to hear that there are some who remain "enchanted" with the beach, ocean, etc. for years. To me, the mountains never lost their appeal--but the cold weather & grey skies sure did. And yes, even as we are now going into that hot, hot, hot, humid, humid, humid, season--after 9 years of it--I'll still take it over the other.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:47 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
If the beach is in your blood, you'll probably always love it. I will always love the beach, but never went as often as I could have.
Yes.
I grew up on both coasts, and then moved to Colorado. I always missed the beach all the many years I lived in Denver.
We spent 20 months on the Gulf before moving to the Atlantic side.
Both have their good points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
To me, the mountains never lost their appeal...
...humid, humid, humid, season--after 9 years of it--I'll still take it over the other.
Yes.
I enjoyed going to the Rockies, but the traffic on I-70 became ridiculous.
Here I am a 5-8 minute drive from the beach. We get those sea breezes.
For me, going to the seashore is bonding with the spouse, and a time for spiritual reflection as well as exercise, all rolled into one visit.
IMHO we all come from Mother Ocean, where life first began.
Do I go there every day? No, but I *see* it every day. Sometimes that's all you need.
Do we got moss on the house, and rust on our vehicles? Yup.
But that beats shoveling snow and/or black ice in April.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:20 AM

The ocean is like a compass and I'm lost without it. I grew up in MA where east was ocean and when we lived in the Midwest, I couldn't find my way around the cornfields for the life of me. Now I'm back near the ocean and I'm never lost.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:51 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,532,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
So your answer is you got tired of the beach. I am not sure any of the rest of that had much to do with the question.
The point is living especially on the beach in Florida is not a wise move.... Unless you want to pay the price..

Old 06-02-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
The point is living especially on the beach in Florida is not a wise move.... Unless you want to pay the price..
People who live beach front are not the people who really care about the small inconveniences or costs. Those beach front houses are in the millions. That is not really the issue. The question was, people who come to Florida because they like the beach, does the thrill ware off. Few will ever in their lifetime have the resources to actually live on the beach or do they need to to enjoy the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida