Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:48 AM

594 posts, read 1,201,057 times

Advertisements

Everyday during the summer, it says Sct'd Thunderstorms on the forecast in Florida, even though it does not rain or thunder. Why?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 08:37 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,752,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
Everyday during the summer, it says Sct'd Thunderstorms on the forecast in Florida, even though it does not rain or thunder. Why?!
They take, (or they used to and I assume they still do), the last 100 days all the elements were the same and based on that come up with a percentage. this could cover decades by the way. It may rain and or may not, but based on an historical record they come up with a probability. Of course regardless what the weather people say, it doesn't really govern what actually happens. It will play in to the future forecasts though as they add one more current day of events to the record.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:40 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,403,646 times
There's always storm systems moving through some part of the state every afternoon (in the summer), so it's a pretty safe bet for a forecast.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:54 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,668,771 times
It can even vary in the same town. That is what they mean by "scattered". There have been times when I have been working in North Naples and it has been a monsoon outside. My husband was in South Naples, the sun was shining, and it didn't rain at all.

It happens.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:29 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
^^^Exactly, 4th of July I heard the thunder saw the black clouds, but no rain at my house. That night, someone said " what a bad storm we had to day, I had a lake in the front of my house." Yet not a drop at my house, it was super humid though. So it probably will rain in your area, maybe not where you are exactly. Hence why the put in scattered showers.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^Exactly, 4th of July I heard the thunder saw the black clouds, but no rain at my house. That night, someone said " what a bad storm we had to day, I had a lake in the front of my house." Yet not a drop at my house, it was super humid though. So it probably will rain in your area, maybe not where you are exactly. Hence why the put in scattered showers.
You don't even need the weather people any more in the short term. You can go on the computer and see exactly what is happening in real time. What's coming where it is going and zoom in almost to the street level and see where it is raining. We were having a yard sale and it started getting dark in the distance. I took a look at the computer and you could see it was going to miss up by maybe a mile or so. Sure enough not a drop.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:28 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,837,509 times
reminds me of our visit to England. every day the weather said "There will be sunny bits as well as rainy bits." and what do you know, they were right.
same thing in Florida in the summer, rainy bits and sunny bits, somewhere.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:52 PM

18,126 posts, read 11,761,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
You don't even need the weather people any more in the short term. You can go on the computer and see exactly what is happening in real time. What's coming where it is going and zoom in almost to the street level and see where it is raining. We were having a yard sale and it started getting dark in the distance. I took a look at the computer and you could see it was going to miss up by maybe a mile or so. Sure enough not a drop.

What website are you using?

Old 07-14-2009, 02:14 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,741 times
They need to change Florida from "The Sunshine State" to "The Partly Cloudy State".

Old 07-14-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
What website are you using?
I use a link from our local paper website
South Florida weather: Broward, Palm Beach and Miami Dade weather forecast, radar, alerts and storms - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
http://weather.sun-sentinel.com/auto...s=1&rainsnow=0

You can also go to weather.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida