Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:29 PM

594 posts, read 1,202,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
They need to change Florida from "The Sunshine State" to "The Partly Cloudy State".
That's why Florida is called "The sunshine state" and not the "Sunny state". Sunshine means both clouds and sun mixed (which refers to Partly Cloudy), but Sunshine also means there could still be rainy day, but the sun is shining afterwards, which is typical for Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 03:31 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,677,744 times
Downpours for about 10 minutes, in rainy season, then sun out. No rain at all for months and months. No wonder water costs so much here.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:57 PM

873 posts, read 1,715,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
They need to change Florida from "The Sunshine State" to "The Partly Cloudy State".
You're exactly right. While we have very few completely cloudy days in Florida we don't have many completely clear days either. Its pretty obvious too because there is so much moisture in the air. The few clear days we receive are typically in the winter. Instead of the Partly Cloudy State I believe Florida should be called the "Lightning State". In the center of the license plate we could have someone being jolted by a bolt of lightning similar to the victim on the cover of the old horror movie "Scanners".

Old 07-16-2009, 09:37 AM

85 posts, read 253,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
What website are you using?
You can also use the 7news storm tracker to see radar images of the weather in your neighborhood:
7 Storm Tracker - Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Channel 7 News Fox WSVN-TV

Old 07-16-2009, 10:27 AM

594 posts, read 1,202,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
You're exactly right. While we have very few completely cloudy days in Florida we don't have many completely clear days either. Its pretty obvious too because there is so much moisture in the air. The few clear days we receive are typically in the winter. Instead of the Partly Cloudy State I believe Florida should be called the "Lightning State". In the center of the license plate we could have someone being jolted by a bolt of lightning similar to the victim on the cover of the old horror movie "Scanners".

As I mentioned before, it's called "the sunshine state" because there's both clouds & sun mixed in the sky, and also some rainfall. That's why it's not called "the sunny state".
But lightning state would make more sense

Old 07-16-2009, 03:33 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,389,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
As I mentioned before, it's called "the sunshine state" because there's both clouds & sun mixed in the sky, and also some rainfall. That's why it's not called "the sunny state".
But lightning state would make more sense
My earlier comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. I don't think anyone is disputing that a mixture of clouds and sun still constitutes sunshine.

Rogercobb: I agree that the Lightning State would be a good representation. I love the license plate idea.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:04 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,377,062 times
There's always a chance of... Though it hasn't rained where I am all week.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:21 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,433,940 times
I think it's beautiful.

Love watching black clouds roll in over a blue and sunny sky.....the contrast can be amazing... then the rain pours for 15 minutes, and then clears up, and back to sunny skies.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:42 AM

29 posts, read 66,919 times
Actually, if im correct, forcasters will give you the chance percentage of a thunderstorm in your area on any given day and in Florida thats got to be just about everyday. They do that everywhere. I personally LOVE thunderstorms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida