Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 06:19 AM

19 posts, read 186,367 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to FL in couple of months from Mid-Atlantic region, and have chosen these two places to live.....Sarasota or St. Augustine........which one....?
I'm 61, single, want active life, access to lots of things to do, shopping, good medical care, beaches, affordable housing and living, access to the arts........
????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 07:37 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I am going to copy my post from your first thread on this when you were also considering some other cities, I also added a bit to it:

I am just a couple years younger than you, live in Sarasota and LOVE it! I think you would really like it here, it is a small but cosmopolitan little city with a whole lot of amenities that other cities this size do not have. There is plenty to do of the thing you like, parks, beaches, gyms, nice YMCA, arts museums, great shopping, dining, etc., etc. Also, it's a quick trip over the bridge to St. Petersburg, and only an hour to Tampa.

Second choice on that list is St. Augustine. A charming little town but very small. It's a great place to visit, but for me, too small for full time living. And no, it is not much cooler there in summer, but yes cooler in winter.

St. Augustine is a small town, population 12,000 or so, Sarasota is a small city, 53,000 or so. Both are touristy towns, I find the traffic in St. Augustine in the old town area unbearable because of the tiny narrow streets and so many cars there. Traffic is only bad in Sarasota during season, and even then only going to and from the beaches. This is all from my own perspective. Both places have a lot of beauty and dining, etc., however it is still my opinion that the Sarasota area has WAY more to do. And the beaches here are far superior to the ones in St. Augustine, if that is a consideration for you.

It would be good to visit the areas and see how you like the "vibe" of each area. I personally love the Gulf Beaches over the Atlantic side. But others may like the east coast. It all boils down to personal preference. Bottom line, I am sure you could find happiness in one of these areas.

Feel free to send me a DM for any specific questions on Sarasota and this region.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:57 PM

32 posts, read 238,884 times
good post. this is all very true. i use to work in sarasota - for me it wasnt a perfect fit b/c the city as a whole caters to an older demographic. but it is beautiful and i would love to retire there as there is alot to do. St. Augustine is really beautiful and I love to visit! Honestly, you picked two great spots in Florida.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:31 PM

19 posts, read 186,367 times
I know they're both good spots......only trouble is which one......
I'm 61, single, active, creative......
St. Augustine seems more "affordable", Sarasota seems more sophisticated.......????

Old 09-02-2009, 05:54 AM

901 posts, read 2,248,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margretdzn View Post
I know they're both good spots......only trouble is which one......
I'm 61, single, active, creative......
St. Augustine seems more "affordable", Sarasota seems more sophisticated.......????

This is a question only you can answer. Go visit and spend some time in each place, after a while you will have your answer. Good luck.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:13 AM

60 posts, read 149,762 times
St. Augustine is prob alot more quieter and has alot of history there than sarasota. I take my family on weekend vacations down to sarasota, its a relaxing nice place to be for the beach.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:14 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
My vote is for Sarasota as well although parts of St Augustine are pretty. The vibe is totally different in each place. I prefer the beaches on the west coast to east coast beaches. West coast has powder white sand calm, warm waters. The east coast Atlantic side has much coarser sand, bigger waves and cooler waters. If you were into surfing I would definitely stick on the east coast.

As usual, Gypsychic has pretty much covered the waterfront on the things that Sarasota has to offer.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:23 AM

63 posts, read 564,841 times
Sarasota is more sophisticated and St.Augustine is more affordable. You must visit both for a week and then make up your mind. My father-in-law lived in Sarasota for a few years after Hurricane Katrina and it was a wonderful place. It has a great art scene and culture. You will also be close to some really great beaches and places like Dunedin,FL and Sanibel and Captiva Island.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,038 times
Gypsychic, I'm new to city-data. I know this thread is old, but your post is the main reason why I joined...Currently in the Tampa bay area, and I am planning to move to either Sarasota or St. Pete. I am leaning towards Sarasota, and I wanted to ask you a couple of questions- If I move to Sarasota, I would like to move to a vibrant area (near coffeeshops, maybe near a farmers' market, safe and progressive community oriented area, etc.) I moved from northern California (Oakland/Berkeley), and I am looking for something that is somewhat similar to the things I like. What zip codes do you recommend to buy a residence? Many thanks in advance.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:35 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Sarasota is warmer and has better beaches, but St. Augustine's beaches are still beautiful, with waves, orange sands and lots of shells. St. Augustine is sort of a retiree area, and has a lot of history and Southern charm, but I feel that weatherwise and beach-wise, Sarasota would be the better pick and have more amenities. St. Augustine still makes nice for a vacation for a few days, but I'd choose Sarasota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida