Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:49 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
Allergies???

I'm in NJ, vacation in FL and love it......but......don't know if I can tolerate heat & humidity for so many months.
Yep, Florida pretty much has year round allergy sufferers, there is always something in bloom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 07:42 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I don't think I have the typical allergies because I never had them when I lived in NYC. Just something down here that triggers them and always during the summer, and god help me if the pressure's dropping quickly. If I dont take Claritin-d daily, I end up with enormous migraines and sinus issues.

I wouldn't go back to NYC though unless there was an incredible job and a gorgeous apt in the city involved, lol. I definitely prefer South Fl to the boroughs, LI or Jersey.

If you ha and ve any question about the heat & humidity, dont do it. I was fine with it for years, and then gradually have grown quite intolerant of it, even with all the a/c around. I do prefer it to bitter cold though, and would still choose this climate before one up north. Probably somewhere like California would be ideal.
I see you're in Hollywood. Never was there. You mention bugs, another thing I hate. I do hate snow and the cold winters though here in NJ. Maybe when I retire, spend 4-6 mos in FL, remaining here in NJ. I would miss my Grandchildren.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:58 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
I see you're in Hollywood. Never was there. You mention bugs, another thing I hate. I do hate snow and the cold winters though here in NJ. Maybe when I retire, spend 4-6 mos in FL, remaining here in NJ. I would miss my Grandchildren.
Snowbirding sounds like it would be perfect for you. And if you start off that way you dont have to make a commitment to moving before you're sure. Also, you could try out different areas that way too.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:17 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,648 times
Florida Native- Broward County Love: the Atlantic Ocean & the beaches, awesome thunderstormsHate: Unfortunately almost everything else- rude, nasty ppl, crime, constant traffic/crowds, NO seasons, Summer lasting 9 mo with opressive heat so hot you would literally die w/out AC, the fact we are isolated down here, low-pay due to Fla. being a "right to work" state, high cost of living, and finally the fact the developers have stripped every ounce of nature from Broward and have left a cement wasteland of condos and strip mall(and I watched it happen as I'm watching them do it to Palm Bch Co.-very sad) It's just time for me to go.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:48 PM

110 posts, read 550,200 times
Thumbs up My Heart is in Cocoa Beach

We have a vacation condo in Cocoa Beach.

I have traveled through so many parts of Florida, The Keys, The Panhandle, St Augustine, Sarasota, Sanibel, Captiva, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Fort Myer's Beach. Each has their special charms.

I am so drawn to the ocean. It is powerful, fascinating and ever changing. There is nothing like walking along a beach.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:13 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
Tampa

Love: The ocean/beach/bay; travel quickly to Miami,FTL, Keys, Caribbean, Orlando; palm trees; 7 months of good weather; marine life

Hate: Lack of progressive/liberal values, poor public transportation, sprawl, September (the last month of truly oppresive heat and humidity and Tampa)

Old 09-17-2009, 09:42 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,311 times
I live near Daytona Beach. I love:

the beach
being near my family and friends
the prices around here compared to other places
lower housing costs than other places
the fact that we do get at least some cooler or even cold weather in the fall and winter as compared to places further south
the excitement of bike week
our minor league baseball team
being one to two hours away from the major theme parks and a major league baseball team
DH would say Nascar, but I don't care about that.

I do not like:
the constant influx of tourists, especially during special events like race weeks, college spring break, etc., Some of them are very disrespectful and literally tear the place apart.
some places on the beachside are pretty trashy
most jobs are low paying because we are a tourist based economy, even as a teacher a few years ago legislation actually passed that makes it legal for the state to pay us less if we live along the coast, because the so called ammenities are worth it to us just to live here.

Nancy

Old 09-17-2009, 10:11 PM

57 posts, read 188,004 times
in south florida, just north of palm beach on the east coast.

love: low traffic, florida is ok if you have a boat, or know someone who regularly invites you out on theirs.

hate: humidity, too many linear people, heat, flat, swampy, mosquitoes, old people on the road, unemployment, high cost of living, lack of things to see and do, too many pine trees, 9+ hour drive to see a different landscape.

I can't wait to move in a couple months. After living here for 15 years, mainly because of my parents. This is the wrong area for the profession I decided to learn. I wouldn't recommend anyone move here, at least to the treasure coast, theres almost no IT support jobs, I'm serious, the last post on craigslist or monster was over a month ago.

Last edited by Gabe3; 09-17-2009 at 10:26 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 03:45 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post
most jobs are low paying because we are a tourist based economy, even as a teacher a few years ago legislation actually passed that makes it legal for the state to pay us less if we live along the coast, because the so called ammenities are worth it to us just to live here.

Nancy
What? I've never heard of that. I don't doubt you, but I just have never heard of it.

I googled it and can't find anything about it.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:55 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
I never heard of it either and I work in a school along the coast. Actually, I have heard that Naples pays MORE than many other parts because the cost of living is more here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida