Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:26 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

The problem is that if they let you have a tattoo on your forearm, they need to let the next person, and the one after that. And some are going to be offensive to the average person. So whose to say who gets to show theirs and who doesn't? That a nightmare. Best policy is a one size fits all policy, no visible ink, no facial piercings, etc.

By the way, not everyone under 40 likes tattos. Just because your social group does, it doesn't mean that everyone does.

You know the boss doesn't like it. Either wear long sleeves or find a new job. And I wouldn't get more ink until you've got a new job, or you'll likely have no job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 04:44 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,160 times
the boss can kiss off at this point, he can't fire me for it as i was hired this way, and can't fire me for my performance either...

there is NOTHING in the employee handbook about it, even though I never received a handbook when i started, nor did i sign the paper with the employee packet that said i received it..

nevermind they lost at least one of the two packets i turned in,

Old 09-30-2009, 05:05 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
the boss can kiss off at this point, he can't fire me for it as i was hired this way, and can't fire me for my performance either...
Your boss can fire you for any reason that he likes as long as it doesn't involve you being a protected class (tattoos don't count at this point).

Old 09-30-2009, 07:52 PM

717 posts, read 2,808,744 times
Quote:

there is NOTHING in the employee handbook about it, even though I never received a handbook when i started, nor did i sign the paper with the employee packet that said i received it..

Just as the poster above me states, If you live in Florida, which is a right to work state, you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all--but your butt can be canned for anything--including your post on here telling the boss to "kiss off".

And, an employee handbook is NOT a Bible..It is nothing more than a guideline. If the topic isn't covered in the book--it's fair game. An employee handbook is not meant to be an employee contract. Furthermore, I doubt that there is an employee handbook on the planet that lists every single offense that one could be fired for--because every time the employer thinks he's got everything covered, everybody who wants to test the waters comes up with a new way to try and beat it. Does your employee handbook state that urinating in public could be grounds for termination? Does it state that you can't bring your kids into work with you for the day? Does it state that you can't take your dog up in that piece of heavy equipment? DUH......

Old 09-30-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:

Florida is an at will state. He can fire you because he thinks your mother is ugly. He can fire you at any time without cause or reason, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:24 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
People with visible tats (ink that can be seen while wearing professional clothing) are not professional. Do you honestly think someone in a fortune 500 company is going to hire someone with tats all the way up their arms and on their necks and stuff ?

Old 10-01-2009, 04:55 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
I don't think I would ever want NUMBERS tatooed on me. Reminds me too much of a certain period in history when this was done. If you have ever met someone (I have) with these, you will know what I am talking about.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I don't think I would ever want NUMBERS tatooed on me. Reminds me too much of a certain period in history when this was done. If you have ever met someone (I have) with these, you will know what I am talking about.
Absolutely. Unfortunately the people that need to understand that statement are generally too flat out stupid to get it.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:04 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
Or is everyone here stuck in the 1950s?

Why is it considered "taboo" to have visible tattoos in the workplace?
I can understand having hate words or gang crap ink'd being an issue.
I have a pretty sizable forearm tattoo and plan on more, and was hired with it there, and a short sleeve shirt on, and the owner of the place says it's "offensive", when in reality i appeal to a WHOLE NEW demographic of people compared to the over 40s crew I work with.

So what do you think, are ALL visible tattoos are offensive? Is it wrong to try and get a job when you have tattoos?
Well it probably is an asset...in Lehigh Acres.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:17 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
As you can see the rap community is obsessed with area codes, that may be why the area code tattoos have become so popular.

YouTube - Ludacris feat. Nate Dogg - Area Codes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida