Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:00 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times

Advertisements

But it's to the extent at which FL has it's the problem. Sure rude people, crime, transients can be found everywhere. But combining all 3 and to the extent that FL has it is the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,576,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I love the seasons, snow and cold weather now, I guess it was always in my genes, and FL was never the right climate for me. I bothers me when people on this forum talk about the hot FL weather and tell potential newcomers "you'll get used to it", because it simply isn't true for some people. Even when I get homesick for some things I miss about FL, I remember the neverending 90+ degree days in summer or the many 82 degree Christmases I experienced and remember why I left! Not everyone wants to wear "shorts and flip flops" year round as is posted so often on these forums.
Hey Mugatu, so glad you were able to find a place to call home that you love and which has a weather pattern to suit you.

Just know that there's no need to be bothered about those who like to wake up Christmas Day in shorts and flip flops instead of having to go out to deal with a ton of snow. Don't be alarmed or surprised. I'm certainly not surprised that there do exist people who love snow, sleet, white Christmases, etc.

So you and others like you need not lose sleep over those who like hot weather and prefer to hear steelpan or tropical music instead of Bing Crosby on Christmas Day while sipping a cold beverage from their lanai or patio, looking at a beautiful Christams evening sunset in their shorts with the lovely sounds of crickets and other of Nature's creatures joining in to wish everyone - human, plant, and animal - a Merry Warm Christmas Day!!

Old 01-12-2010, 10:40 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Everything that you both said can be said about a million places in the United States pick a state/city and you will have the same thing being said.
Well oh well. It's not worth it in Florida. It's worth it in a place with extremely good weather or nice people or something else that would keep you there. What exactly does Florida have that keeps people here? Because so far, I haven't missed it.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:44 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,770,778 times
I find it hysterical all the talk about the 90+ temps in the summer that people talk about when in fact during that time most of the rest of ENTIRE country is experiencing a the same or similar weather. It is called the summer for a reason - it is usually hot and humid EVERYWHERE. I bet more people would rather have a warmer christmas than a -2 christmas. Don't get me wrong, there are people who love the cold, snow and everything about the winter months just like there are those who like the heat. I think more people would like things in between if given the choice.

Personally, I never ever want to see a 50 or below day. However, I can see how 95 gets to be annoying. My choice 80 over 20 sorry - I would pick that any day of the week, but I know my cousin wouldn't - hates florida due to the heat. Is actually looking to move to Boston because she likes the colder weather.

People get used to what they want to. What people on this forum have to understand is that just because you like or dislike something doesn't mean that the person who disagrees with you is crazy - just means you feel opposite.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:48 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,861,810 times
Maybe you could leave, and let someone who would appreciate our generally temperate climate move in? Just a thought...

Im a native, 3 generations for sure, maybe more, in fact, if anyone knows where tournament street is in fort myers, my grandfather was born in a house that used to be there...

Generally, I love it here, however this past 2 weeks, I could have opted for some warmer weather, but what with all the cubans having floated over here, I would be rather lonely with the Castro's in Cuba...

This could be an awesome place if the rude, arrogant people that make it their home, would simply move back north where they lived and made their money before retirement.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:58 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,250,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
Hey Mugatu, so glad you were able to find a place to call home that you love and which has a weather pattern to suit you.

Just know that there's no need to be bothered about those who like to wake up Christmas Day in shorts and flip flops instead of having to go out to deal with a ton of snow. Don't be alarmed or surprised. I'm certainly not surprised that there do exist people who love snow, sleet, white Christmases, etc.

So you and others like you need not lose sleep over those who like hot weather and prefer to hear steelpan or tropical music instead of Bing Crosby on Christmas Day while sipping a cold beverage from their lanai or patio, looking at a beautiful Christams evening sunset in their shorts with the lovely sounds of crickets and other of Nature's creatures joining in to wish everyone - human, plant, and animal - a Merry Warm Christmas Day!!
I've been down here 9 years and to be honest with ya i can't remember a whole lot of Christmases where i would sit outside in shorts and flip flops drinking a cold beverage. It's all relative once you become acclimated to this weather 50 to 60 degrees is cold. I had that same fantasy . It was nice while it lasted.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well oh well. It's not worth it in Florida. It's worth it in a place with extremely good weather or nice people or something else that would keep you there. What exactly does Florida have that keeps people here? Because so far, I haven't missed it.
I think that is because you haven't lived anywhere else. In all fairness the places you mentioned that you want to go would not be classified as the pinnacle of nice, friendly people. Nor, would it be considered great weather. Good work yes.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:18 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,576,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I find it hysterical all the talk about the 90+ temps in the summer that people talk about when in fact during that time most of the rest of ENTIRE country is experiencing a the same or similar weather. It is called the summer for a reason - it is usually hot and humid EVERYWHERE. I bet more people would rather have a warmer christmas than a -2 christmas. Don't get me wrong, there are people who love the cold, snow and everything about the winter months just like there are those who like the heat. I think more people would like things in between if given the choice.

Personally, I never ever want to see a 50 or below day. However, I can see how 95 gets to be annoying. My choice 80 over 20 sorry - I would pick that any day of the week, but I know my cousin wouldn't - hates florida due to the heat. Is actually looking to move to Boston because she likes the colder weather.

People get used to what they want to. What people on this forum have to understand is that just because you like or dislike something doesn't mean that the person who disagrees with you is crazy - just means you feel opposite.
Hey Chelsa, we've both read enough posts ny NATIVE Floridians to know that many of them still love Florida for all it's got - weather, sunsets, flora, fauna, beaches, lifestyle, etc. They still feel that it's a beautiful place - despite all the minuses, and as we both know, every place has pros and cons.

What's important is what you and I as individuals like...not what a poster or a friend or even a cousin likes. Well, it is important what your hubby and kids like...but I believe you mentioned in the past that they would love to move down. And just as a backup, in case hubby changes his mind and leaves you stranded...hey, you never know...another Florida lover from NY might just be there to enjoy the warmth of the Sunshine State with you.

So I say, go for it.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:23 AM

LOL - yes, indeed!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,314,858 times
There are unhappy rude people everywhere, not just in Florida.

We have family members who have lived in Florida, retire to Florida and live in Florida and not one of them has ever said a word that Florida's problems are caused by northerners who moved to Florida.

All of them tell us Florida changed when the natives got greedy and did not like the share their piece of the pie.

My aunt and uncle retired to Florida many years ago and they tell us things were great when the natives seen all that money coming from the northerners, but when the money dried up and they could not make a bundle anymore they all got upset.

Greed is the word, when you cannot pick pocket northerners anymore then you have to lay blame for your misery somehow else.

Get real people, there are rude people everywhere and believe me, Florida natives ( and I dont mean this as a direct hit to all of them ) are just if not as rude as any northerner ever was.

It is NOT YOUR state, we are free to roam as we like and when you feel you own a state then you have some major issues.

I see Florida has changed over the past 20+ years but every state has changed, some for the good but most of them for the bad.

People need to stop blaming everyone else for something changing and accept the fact that if you are unhappy where you are it is probably something YOU DID that made it that way.

We made the huge mistake of not staying in Florida 20+ years ago when we had the chance, it was OUR FAULT, not anyone else's fault.

It was our mistake and we accept it.

Now it is time to correct the mistake and get to Florida when the time is right. Since we had to ditch our plans because of a family illness we still have the dream of living in Florida some day.

If we move to Florida and we pick the wrong town, schools, etc, it will be our fault, no one else's fault. And I surely wont be blaming others if we fail in Florida.

If you do not like Florida leave and make room for some of us who will appreciate the opportunity to live there.

No one forced people to make mistakes or not be able to accept change.

Change will happen again and again. People need to get used to it. Nothing stays the same forever, it would be a boring world if it did.

By the way, the Florida natives I have met over the years and those on this board are not rude people at all, in fact they are all very willing to help others.
The non Florida natives I know who live in Florida are the same way, not rude and willing to help.

The natives who for some reason now do not like Florida and those who moved to Florida and screwed up are of course the ones who can be very rude, nasty and will not accept the fact that no one forced them to do the things they did. The blame Florida for all my ills crowd is getting very old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida