Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 02:27 PM

19 posts, read 69,423 times

Advertisements

Another one on my list is Santa Rosa beach. I think it would be a good fit for me, it's gorgeous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 05:29 PM

329 posts, read 775,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrubin View Post
The West Coast of Florida is better definitely. I'm from the East Coast of Florida (I live near West Palm Beach), and I've visited the West, and I can tell you the beaches are nicer there, and it's a better, more relaxed lifestyle out there.

The only place on the West Coast I wouldn't recommend is Tampa. It has almost twice the crime-rate of New York City, the drivers are insane, and it's full of annoying college-kids.

Also I'd advise spending some time in Florida, particularly during the summer. You are moving to a state that gets to 83 degrees in DECEMBER, and on top of the, absolutely sweltering humidity all year.

If you love thick, sticky humidity all year, and 80+ degree weather all year, then Florida is fine. Me? I'm moving to New York by next Summer, and I won't miss this sandbar at all.

Also if you have children, do not move here, the educational-system is beyond abysmal, and you will deserve them resenting you for subjecting them to it. I don't think you'll even be able to find a worse educational-system in the entire country. Just do the research.

This is only a State for people who don't want kids, want to retire, and love hot, sticky humidity all year long. If that's you, then move right in.
BYE hope you find what your looking for,NYC seems like a good place for you,sounds like you'll fit right in. get a bus and take some more "sandbar haters" with ya

Old 01-12-2010, 09:08 PM

440 posts, read 2,426,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionesschanel View Post
Thank you everyone. I did look into Siesta Key and Sanibel but I don't want to spend alot of money to rent or buy a home. I would like to have the option to buy a small beach home at some point later on. I'm not rich but I am successful/hard working. I think the Destin/Miramar Beach area is definitely more for me. I was looking at Daytona beach but I don't get a good vibe from it (for me to live there), hard to explain. I'm going to be happy with SIMPLY living near the beach to be honest and in a small beach community.

Thanks so much!!
So glad to see you may be coming our way soon! We think you are going to love the Santa Rosa Beach / Scenic 30A area.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:12 PM

440 posts, read 2,426,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnray View Post
Looks like I'm jumping into this thread about a week too late, but have appreciated reading all your posts. We are also considering the panhandle - right now, the Navarre area looks worthy of serious consideration, but we are still exploring all options. The big difference is that we would be moving from the Boston area. Our kids are grown and on their own, so the education system is not a problem. We are not quite retirement age yet, just looking to escape these dreadful winters, although I understand it has been very cold in Florida lately as well.

Thanks for asking the question lionesschannel - best of luck with your search!
We are so glad to hear you are also considering the Panhandle. Navarre is just west of us in Santa Rosa Beach. If you have some time, check out our tourist development councils website Beaches of South Walton It has a lot of great information about the different beach communities of the Scenic 30A. All of the beaches along the Northwest Florida panhandle are beautiful. We think you will be pleasantly surprised.

By the way, one of the 2bohemians is originally from Boston --- so we have to say Go Sox!

Old 01-13-2010, 12:02 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,897,468 times
Anna Marie Island is nice also.......

Old 01-13-2010, 12:17 PM

122 posts, read 401,955 times
I've lived in the Panhandle area my entire life, and I still live there. If I didn't already live here, you couldn't pay me to come here. The job market in this area is VERY VERY.... did I say VERY? TIGHT! I've been unemployed for nearly 2 years and still am unable to find work... not even at Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Etc. This area is also too small... not anything to do other than the beach, which gets very old very quick.

If I were to consider anywhere on the Gulf... It'll have to be the Tampa area. Job's are plentiful (at least when compared to the Panhandle area) there and a lot more to do as well as having the beautiful beaches.

If you were retired and have a steady income and like small town USA... then sure, the Panhandle might be your area... but when you have a family to support, a mortgage, and a car payment... it's just not worth the risks.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:07 AM

MJimLay - I know I've heard about the job situation and I've read your posts on other topics that you don't like it there. I love too small of a community! Tampa is too busy and overcrowded for me.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:22 AM

Does anyone have any photos of Miramar beach? I've seen several but I would love to see more!

Old 01-16-2010, 09:50 PM

19 posts, read 58,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionesschanel View Post
Hi everyone!
I'll be moving to Florida but I haven't decided where exactly, Destin seems to be my first choice but I'm still unsure. I'm 30, single, racially mixed (I don't know if that matters) and I'm self-employed. Money really isn't an issue. I know I DEFINITELY want to live on the Gulf side and I want to live in a small beach community (these are musts). Now my question is (given the above) where would you move in Florida? Look forward to hearing all your imputs. Feel free to ask any questions too!
Thank you all!!!

Destin would be the last place. I spent a lot of time in Navarre, Destin, Gulf Breeze and Pensacola. but if i had to choose it would either be Navarre or Gulf Breeze

would you consider St Pete or Clearwater instead?

Old 01-16-2010, 10:36 PM

807 posts, read 3,187,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJimLay View Post
I've lived in the Panhandle area my entire life, and I still live there. If I didn't already live here, you couldn't pay me to come here. The job market in this area is VERY VERY.... did I say VERY? TIGHT! I've been unemployed for nearly 2 years and still am unable to find work... not even at Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Etc. This area is also too small... not anything to do other than the beach, which gets very old very quick.

If I were to consider anywhere on the Gulf... It'll have to be the Tampa area. Job's are plentiful (at least when compared to the Panhandle area) there and a lot more to do as well as having the beautiful beaches.

If you were retired and have a steady income and like small town USA... then sure, the Panhandle might be your area... but when you have a family to support, a mortgage, and a car payment... it's just not worth the risks.
thanks for that nice spin... if you had read the OP you would have seen the words "self employed". Sorry you don't like the beaches and WalMart won't hire you.

Comparing the South Walton Beaches with those in the Tampa Bay area is just blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida