Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2007, 04:25 PM

27 posts, read 82,183 times

Advertisements

Compare Homeowner's Insurance Rates (http://www.flgov.com/shop4insurance - broken link)

New gov site for insurance comps...Allstate and statefarm tie for the greed award!

Old 06-26-2007, 04:25 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,499,092 times
Default Lee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida1 View Post
The average price in Lee County has been increasing since February. We are actually on par with last year's prices at this time and they are still slowly increasing. Now areas within the county, such as Cape Coral, are still experiencing decreases. This is a totally subjective issue and therefor hard to judge. Being in my area, I would say prices are likely to start increasing again in the not so distant future. Maybe someone in a more hard hit area would disagree with me.
Sorry to post this but:

"Sales of existing single-family homes in Lee County were down 42 percent from 993 in May 2006 to 575 last month and the median sales price was down 2 percent to $281,500, according to figures released
Monday by the Florida Associated of Realtors."

"“J. Larry Sorsby, chief financial officer of Hovnanian Enterprises, said Monday at the Reuters Real Estate Summit in New York that Lee County is ‘by far the worst housing market that we’re in and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the worst housing market in the country.’”

The News-Press: Real Estate (http://tinyurl.com/36mqmr - broken link)

Old 06-26-2007, 04:29 PM

165 posts, read 657,132 times
There both good ins company's

Old 06-26-2007, 05:20 PM

109 posts, read 393,024 times
Default Rent or own.

Interesting discussion about home rental or home ownership. Doing a Google search for: "should I rent or buy a home?" I find lots of links, as you can imagine. However, I was somewhat surprised that ownership usually wins out. After all isn't home ownership the cornerstone of the American Dream?
As stated earlier, home ownership is most peoples biggest nest egg as we still miss the mark in preparing for our retirement years.

I whole heartedly believe that in a cash purchase scenario, you are better off renting almost every time, IF, you do your calculations in the long term. A "red hot" sustainable housing market can be an exception where ownership could trump investment. Again, I fully intend on beating the Dow Jones Average using Index Fund diversification, so I plan on trumping a "red Hot" sustainable housing market. IMO

Old 06-26-2007, 05:39 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by info please View Post
There both good ins company's

¿ ¿ ¿ ¿

Old 06-26-2007, 06:01 PM

27 posts, read 82,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
¿ ¿ ¿ ¿
Be easy on him he probably works for them...I remember all too well when they cut tail and ran after Andrew.. I think they had similar issues after Katrina didn't they???

Old 06-26-2007, 06:13 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ single View Post
Be easy on him he probably works for them...I remember all too well when they cut tail and ran after Andrew.. I think they had similar issues after Katrina didn't they???
OK........

Old 06-26-2007, 06:51 PM

458 posts, read 599,138 times
In just about every Florida market, home ownership no longer beats renting. When you use the average number of years people keep a home, it is better to rent. Very few people can guarantee that they will keep a home longer than the 10 plus years it now takes to make owning better.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:21 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,277,160 times
what ya all talk'n about? .....BUBBLES? =)

...do you know they make bubbles that you can blow and then eat ...they are flavored strawberry and blueberry. ...cool huh?

....so is the newest talk about renting being better then owning? ....hasn't this already been discussed? ....mmmm, homeowners need renters ...so rent away babies!

I'm off to veg! ...I'm back to work this week and tired!

...now, someone give me some creavite ideas. The new house has some "beautiful" emerald green carpet. ...in the 2nd and 3rd bedroom. It's new and eventually children will be in those rooms so we are ignoring the color for a while.
My husband wants to paint his office(3rd bedroom) a nice color ...any ideas? ...tricky color combo ...wish my grass was that green!

night ALL!

Old 06-26-2007, 08:27 PM

62 posts, read 177,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
In just about every Florida market, home ownership no longer beats renting. When you use the average number of years people keep a home, it is better to rent. Very few people can guarantee that they will keep a home longer than the 10 plus years it now takes to make owning better.
As I said in an earlier post, ownership is a great vehicle for forced savings. That is, most people will not save the difference between rental payments and mortgage payments.

Florida housing is way too volitile right now unless you have a long, long time horizon, which I do not have.

Also, one has to question how much housing can go up from here. I live in a middle class neighborhood, houses are $400-500k, even now - and they are nothing spectacular. I make over $150k per year, and these houses would still be a stretch. Even assuming that these prices decline a bit, how much more can these go up - this is not NY or California where there are tons of jobs offering six-figure salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida